Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  March 2008

SOCNET March 2008

PhD opportunities for SNA research in Manchester, UK

Mark Tranmer <[log in to unmask]>

Mark Tranmer <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:55:19 +0000

text/plain

Dear all,

We have funding opportunities for 2008-entry Phd study at Manchester,
UK, including PhD topics in Social Network Analysis.

Details of the studentships, bursaries and scholarships appear at the
end of this email.

A pdf with some possible general topics of SNA PhD study can be found
here. http://www.ccsr.ac.uk/staff/documents/sna_phd_2008.pdf

Further details of the Manchester Social Networks Group can be found
here:

www.ccsr.ac.uk/msng

If you are interested in these possibilities for PhD study, please
email me to discuss further: [log in to unmask]
If possible I would also welcome a short proposal (1 page is fine)
setting out the research question you wish to investigate.
If you are interested I would urge you to contact me as soon as
possible.

Best regards,

Mark

Dr Mark Tranmer
Senior Lecturer
CCSR
School of Social Sciences
Kantarovich Building
Humanities Bridgeford Street
University of Manchester
Manchester
M13 9PL

+44 (0) 161 275 4744

http://www.ccsr.ac.uk/staff/markhome1.htm

STUDENTSHIPS, BURSARIES AND SCHOLARSHIPS For Masters and PhD study

The Cathie Marsh Centre for Census & Survey Research is proud to
announce that it has at least 7 PhD studentships from the ESRC and
elsewhere for entry in 2008. We invite candidates from any of the
social sciences as well as from policy or professional backgrounds to
apply.

The Cathie Marsh Centre is a unique multidisciplinary cluster of
social statisticians and researchers. Our policy impact, transferable
skills, and impact on cutting-edge research methods are widely
recognised as being of the highest quality.

Doing a PhD in the Cathie Marsh Centre involves doing independent
research as well as attending occasional training courses or Masters
level course units. Our students also attend conferences, make
presentations, and work on team projects where appropriate. Most PhDs
in the CCSR use national or international data sets. We provide full
training in the use of such data. The Centre is an excellent research
environment with a supportive atmosphere.

Our Masters degree in Social Research Methods and Statistics is
integrally related to the PhD programme. See www.ccsr.ac.uk/masters)
for more information about the Masters degree, for which applications
are welcome at any time.

Candidates must have a good degree in a social science or related
subject. If they need to do a Masters degree, as part of a 4 year PhD
arrangement, this can be part of the ESRC funding for those eligible.

ESRC studentships pay the fees and a maintenance stipend to each
recipient on their PhD or MSc+PHD (1+3) programme. The ESRC awards
are available to students from the European Union. To qualify for the
maintenance stipend, it is necessary to have been resident (domiciled)
in the UK for the previous three years; otherwise the award covers
fees only.

1-year scholarships are not at present available from CCSR. However
those who do the Masters degree will have an ESRC-recognised
qualification. Part-Time students are very welcome. Our Masters
students are competitive in applying for PhD funding or entering the
job market after their Masters.

Other studentships, besides those funded by the ESRC, are advertised
in detail on our website and some of these are available to
international applicants. Therefore please visit:
www.ccsr.ac.uk

or for the Masters Degree in Social Research Methods and Statistics, see
www.ccsr.ac.uk/masters