am I confused or?

Barry Wellman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:21:29 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

I am wondering what this post -- or many of Dr Mckiernan's posts -- have
to do with Social Network analysis.

Dr Mckiernan: have you ever attended a social network conference?

I am posting this publicly, after having written to Dr McKiernan
privately, some weeks ago.

Perhaps I am confused, and other Socnetters see great value in these
posts.

 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC NetLab Director
  Centre for Urban & Community Studies University of Toronto
  455 Spadina Avenue Room 418 Toronto Canada M5S 2G8
  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman fax:+1-416-978-7162
  Updating history: http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php
         Elvis wouldn't be singing "Return to Sender" these days

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 00:00:47 -0400
From: SOCNET automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: SOCNET Digest - 28 Mar 2008 to 30 Mar 2008 (#2008-75)

There is 1 message totalling 98 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. People Are The Bioeconomy: Social Media For Engaged Information
     Conversations

Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:28:02 -0500
From: Gerry Mckiernan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: People Are The Bioeconomy: Social Media For Engaged Information Conversations

Colleagues/

I will give the first of three presentations at the American Chemical
Society Spring Conference a week from today
on April 6th 2008, 9:15-9:45, in New Orleans.

_People Are The Bioeconomy: Social Media For Engaged Information
Conversations_

Gerry McKiernan, [log in to unmask]
Library, Iowa State University, 152 Parks, Ames, IA 50011

While a substantial portion of the primary literature on alternative
energy is published in scholarly journals, significant research is also
reported in conference publications, dissertations, reports, theses,
white papers, and other *gray* literature. This presentation will
discuss this literature and the efforts of the Iowa State University
Library to identify and acquire key gray publications on the production,
use, and impact of biofuels, to support university scientific,
technical, and sociological research initiatives. Two alternative energy
blogs established to promote core publications and resources to a world
community will also be profiled. Major current and future research
alternative energy projects at Iowa State will be described as well.

The presentation will conclude with speculation on the potential use of
social networking services, such as 2collab, chemistry.org/exchange, and
the Nature Network to facilitate and support
university/industry/government communication, collaboration, and
coordination of bioenergy projects.

[ http://oasys2.confex.com/acs/235nm/techprogram/P1163116.HTM ]

_Engineering the Transition to the Bioeconomy_

The 235th ACS National Meeting, New Orleans, LA, April 6-10, 2008

9:15 AM-9:45 PM, Sunday, April 6, 2008

Marriott Convention Center -- Blaine Kern D

Links and Additional Information and The PPT (by May 1st) are/will be
accessible at

[
http://scitechnet.blogspot.com/2008/03/people-are-bioeconomy-social-media-for.html
]

OR

[ http://tinyurl.com/2yeqh3 ]

If You're Attending ACS, And Are Interested Please Stop By ...

BTW: My Second ACS Presentation _Being There: Using Social Networking
Services For Engaged Library Instruction_

is scheduled for Monday, April 7th 2008, 9:15-9:35

[
http://onlinesocialnetworks.blogspot.com/2008/03/social-networking-services-for-engaged.html
]

Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come
Victor Hugo
[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows
[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]