Social Network Teaching Project

David Tindall <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:00:55 -0700

text/plain

Dear SOCNETTERS,

I am working on several interrelated
teaching/research resource projects on social
networks, and I would like invite you to submit
some materials from your own teaching materials to share with others.

I have contacted a number of you already, and
have receive some very good submissions, and some
further promises of submissions. But I thought
it would also be useful to make the wider community aware of this initiative.

More specifically:

1. I am working on an “Syllabi Set” for the
American Sociological Association on “Social
Networks”. This book will be peer reviewed, and
will be printed this summer. The Syllbi Set book
will contain a diversity of syllabi from social
network courses, as well as other teaching
resources such as class activities, exercises,
tests, assessment tools, web resources, etc.

I am hoping to collect materials on diverse
topics related to social networks, including
theory courses, methods/statistics courses, and substantive courses.

I would like to invite you to submit some
materials for consideration in the Syllabi Set
(including both syllabi and other teaching materials such as exercises, etc).

It would be ideal if you could submit your
material in MS Word format, or another digital
format (other than an image scan) – that can be converted into MS Word.

2. I am slowly working on a resource website of
my own. At present the website has some example
social network questionnaire instruments, but I
plan to expand this, and I will put some of the
teaching materials that are sent to me on the
website. (Some may go both in the ASA Syllbi set
and the Website). (FYI, the current version of
the website is located at:
http://socialnetworks.soci.ubc.ca/SocNets/Home/Home.html.)

I would like to invite you to submit a syllabi for the website.

It would be ideal if you could submit your
material in MS Word format, or another digital
format (other than an image scan) – that can be converted into MS Word.

3. Later this year, the American Sociological
Association is going to launch a “Digital
Library” and digital “Teaching Resource
Centre”. If you are willing to participate in 1
and/or 2 above, I would like to submit some of
your materials to the digital ASA TRC at a later
date. In addition to the materials described
above, the digital TRC will be able to handle
other sorts of digital materials (such as
PowerPoint slides for example), and I may
follow-up at a later date to inquire whether you
have other teaching resources that you would be interested in submitting.

I hope to hear back from you about this
initiative, and I would appreciate it if you could contribute some materials.

Please materials to my e-mail address: [log in to unmask]

Please send material to me by Tuesday March 25th, 2008.

Sincerely,

Dr. D.B. Tindall

Department of Sociology
University of British Columbia