Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Program for At-Risk Students

Travis Ramage <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:00:08 -0500

I will be doing something similar with our conditionally admitted students this fall at Aurora University (AU). The course will be a one-credit, First Year Seminar course that will be graded and count as an elective. The course will meet once a week for 65 minutes. I have done a similar course at my previous institution as a two-credit first year seminar.

At both institutions, I found it was difficult to track down students and decided to require students to attend a course so at least I have an opportunity to connect with them in person each week. Of course, some students choose not to attend every class. Their lack of attendance was reflected in their final grade for the course. I could also use their absence as a reason to contact them, letting them know their grade (and potentially their enrollment) at the university will be impacted by their absence. For example, if they found themselves in front of the Academic Actions Committee the following semester facing a suspension, we could bring up the fact that they were attending the course and use that a decision to not accept their appeal.

I used Skip Downing's OnCourse at the structure for the course. I am attending OnCourse Workshop II this August to have more materials and curriculum to use for the class. My hope is that by developing a bond with the students during their first semester, they will be more likely to see me during following semester as problems arise.

In addition to the course, the conditionally admitted students are also required to attend a special orientation just for them a few days before the fall semester begins. I have attached my tentative agenda for this year's orientation. In the past the orientation has been a whole week. After my experience of observing the orientation last year as a newbie to AU (and knowing I would be inheriting the program this year), I have reduced the orientation to three days and will be supplementing the orientation with the one-credit, semester-long class described above.

Feel free to ask me questions about the course or orientation off list if you want more information.

Travis Ramage
Academic Advisor / STAR Program Coordinator
Aurora University
347 Gladstone Avenue
Aurora, IL 60506
PH: 630-844-5141
FX: 630-844-7813
AIM: trav7374
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.aurora.edu

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda Stedje-Larsen" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 11:37:38 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: Program for At-Risk Students

We developed a one elective credit course that meets once a week. It is
offered on a pass/fail basis. In order to pass, the student needs to
attend. We used to do this for no credit and the students didn't come, so
we beefed up the program, added the credit, and it is working much better.
The retention to following semesters has also significantly increased.

Linda Stedje-Larsen
Director, Support Services
Wingate University
CB 3068