FW: Archetypes and Conceptual Metaphor

Murray Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion Group for Psychology and the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 May 2008 15:55:05 -0400

text/plain

From: Joseph Adamson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Subject: Re: Archetypes and Conceptual Metaphor

You mention Frye. There is, in fact, an essay by Frye on "The Journey as
Metaphor" (in The Secular Scripture and Other Writings on Critical
Theory 1976-1991, ed. Joseph Adamson and Jean Wilson, U of Toronto P,
2006, pp. 408-422). He cites the Frost poem, as well as "Stopping by
Woods on a Snowy Evening," among numerous other examples and prototypes.
He includes in his discussion the religious conception of the "Way." The
essay is certainly worth reading.

I must say I find Frye's conception of archetypes much less mystifying
and much more flexible than Jung's conception of them as innate or
hard-wired. But then Frye's is a verbal understanding of metaphor or
archetype (as largely a matter of convention or culture), not a psychic
one. It is perhaps much closer to the understanding of metaphor in
cognitive science.

Best,
Joe Adamson