Skip repetitive navigational links

Prof Dvlp Opps w/ NCLCA

Travis Ramage <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 May 2008 14:43:27 -0500

Dear Fellow Learning Center Colleagues and Professionals:

Just another reminder from the friendly (and tenacious) NCLCA Professional Development Officer… :-)

As a member of the National College Learning Center Association (NCLCA), one of the many benefits that comes with your membership is access to the many professional development opportunities that we offer. If you are not already member, please visit our website at www.nclca.org/membership.htm and join today.

I just finished reading the 70+ proposals we received for this year’s NCLCA Conference in Memphis . Once I receive the evaluations back from other committee members, the primary presenters will be notified of the status of their proposals in the next few weeks.

WOW…I am impressed with the proposals I read and the programming and services you are all offering in your centers. I look forward to seeing your efforts at this year’s conference ( http://www.nclca.org/2008conference/home.htm ).

In the spirit of this year’s conference theme, The Rhythm and Blues of Research and Practice , I would like to encourage you to apply for a grant to help fund further programming and services in your centers OR take this opportunity to toot your own horn and nominate your center for an award.

The National College Learning Center Association (NCLCA) offers several professional development opportunities that can help you further your goals and honor the staff in your centers are doing on your campuses.

Here is a list of opportunities:

NCLCA Brenda Pfaehler Professional Development Grant

If you find that you could use some funding to support your personal and professional goals, apply for the NCLCA Brenda Pfaehler Professional Development Grant (up to $1000). This grant can help you pilot a project you have always wanted to do or provide you funds to help you evaluate and make changes to existing programs in your center. The grant will be awarded to members of NCLCA to assist in research, leadership, and/or curriculum innovation.

Note: I know of at least one individual who will be applying for the grant this year. Make it a competition and submit an application of your own.

The deadline to apply for the Brenda Pfaehler Professional Development Grant is June 2, 2008

NCLCA Frank Christ Outstanding Learning Center Award

Are you proud of what your learning center has accomplished this year? Does your center have unique programs and services that other centers could use as models? If you answered yes, then submit materials to nominate your center for the NCLCA Frank Christ Outstanding Learning Center Award. This award is a national recognition to the work done by learning centers and assists in fostering their future growth and development. Each year, NCLCA recognizes two learning assistance centers for excellence: a two-year community/technical college and a four-year college or university .

Note: I have already received one set of materials from a four-year university. Make it a competition and nominate your center.

The deadline to submit your application materials is June 2, 2008

NCLCA/LSCHE Website Award

Are you proud of the resources you offer your students and faculty on your center’s web page? Is your center’s website a model for other centers to follow? If so, then nominate your learning center’s website for the NCLCA/LSCHE Website Award. This award gives national recognition to a new and/or improved learning center website. A list of past winners and the award criteria are available at http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/~lsche/resources/lc_awards/awards_lsche.htm .

To enter, send the following information below to this Frank Christ at [log in to unmask] :

1. Name of the institution

2. Name and position of the submitter

3. E-mail address of the submitter

4. URL of the center's web page

The deadline to submit your information is August 27, 2008.

Karen Quinn NCLCA Institute Scholarship

Are you new to the field of learning assistance? Would you like the opportunity to network with other new professionals and be mentored by experts in the field? If so, then apply for the Karen Quinn NCLCA Institute Scholarship. This scholarship allows you to attend the annual NCLCA Institute on a scholarship that covers the cost of registration and room/board. The cost of transportation to the institute is not included. This year’s recipient will receive a scholarship to attend the 2009 NCLCA Institute tentatively scheduled to be held in the Chicago area.

To be eligible for the scholarship…

1. Nominees will be a full-time employee in a learning center.

2. Nominees will have a current membership to NCLCA.

3. Nominees will be in their first two years of employment in a learning center environment.

To apply for the scholarship…

1. Submit an application letter, not to exceed three pages, sent by the nominee or someone professionally associated with the nominee.

2. Submit a letter by the nominee’s supervisor explaining a rationale for the nominee’s financial need for the award.

3. Submit a resume and/or job description.

The deadline to submit your scholarship application is November 28, 2008 .

I have attached the NCLCA Professional Development Opportunities brochure that highlights the awards and scholarships I just described. If you have questions about any of these awards, please feel free to contact me at (630) 844-5141 or [log in to unmask] .

I look forward to hearing from you.

Travis Ramage
Academic Advisor / STAR Program Coordinator
Aurora University
347 Gladstone Avenue
Aurora, IL 60506
PH: 630-844-5141