Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Retesting for higher placement - developmental

Nicole Perkins <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 May 2008 23:48:10 EDT

text/plain

Yes, no comment on PLATO.  I do think that practice on the right  software
programs helps build skills.  I actually teach developmental  reading and using
the software gives  both the student and the instructor  immediate feedback on
how they are progressing with specific skills.  Also,  students can work at
the own pace and I develop my lesson plans in class to  directly match with the
software program we use in lab that same day.  I  have had great success.  I
wouldn't recommend retesting for developmental  writing, esp b/c a computer
cannot effectively grade an essay, but for reading,  retesting is allowed.  If
students door poorly on the software program,  they will most likely not pass
the Accuplacer on a retest.

In a message dated 5/20/2008 1:10:52 PM Central Daylight Time,