Re: Historic Everglades deal is reached

Jason Evans <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Jun 2008 06:36:45 -0400

text/plain

It will be very interesting to see if the overall restoration
program will allow for creation of eutrophic marshes in some of
the upper Everglades area being purchased. It is almost certain
that highly productive and early successional (but "undesirable
invasive") aquatic species such as hydrilla, cattails, and water
hyacinth will be the first to move into abandoned sugarcane areas
once they are flooded. The knee jerk reaction would be to use
large amounts of petroleum-based herbicides to maintain native
communities... But as Linda suggests, a much more visionary (and,
in my view, sustainable) approach would be to take advantage of
(and also help mitigate) the legacy nutrients through linked
phytoremediation/bioenergy systems, at least in a few key
strategic areas.

I'm a known fan of the lowly water hyacinth... and so I just can't
resist sending out links to these very recent articles (May 2008)
about hyacinth to ethanol conversion.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/406m7n445lj225w7/
http://www.academicjournals.org/ajmr/abstracts/abstracts/abstracts2008/May/Masami%20et%20al.htm

On Wed Jun 25 21:05:20 EDT 2008, Linda Bystrak <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> How about substituting hydrilla! If the Irish are going to make
> bioethanol from seaweed, why can't we use hydrilla? There is an
> abundance of terrestrial and aquatic invasives we could use. Then
> we could reduce our herbicide use, which is also made from
> petroleum.
> Linda Bystrak

Jason M. Evans, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
School of Forest Resources and Conservation
(352) 466-4549 - office
(352) 328-1199 - cell