Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Assessment by Tutor of Tutee

Vicki Dominick <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Jun 2008 16:07:21 -0500

text/plain

Lynnae-
I understand that this is all about assessment, but what exactly are they trying to assess? Are they trying to measure the Tutoring Center's Learning Objectives or Learning Outcomes? Are they trying to measure the effectiveness of the Tutoring Center? How will this information be used? Is this formative evaluation where they are trying to measure the progress of the students or is it summative evaluation where they are going to use the results to determine your budget?

Is this information going to be shared with the student? I don't think I would share it with the student because it is a little too much like grading. What if the student is consistently not prepared? Will tutoring be terminated?

I am all for assessment, but before you start measuring anything you need to know the purpose of the assessment. A survey after each meeting may not be the best measure.

If they insist on going forward with this, I would try to limit them to 3 questions with clear definitions about what they mean by things like "prepared." Rather than invest in the money for PDAs, can't these three questions just be added to whatever meeting summary they already complete?

I do ask my tutors if students were prepared for sessions, but I ask it at the end of the semester. I use this information to improve the information we give to new Tutees. If the ratings are low, I know that we need to emphasize this to students when they request a tutor and when they sign their Tutee Contracts. This would impact Office Staff training and Tutor Training, but that is far as it goes.

Good luck to you!

Vicki Dominick
Director
Learning Support Services Center