Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Laws Regarding Online and On Campus Tutoring

"Ronald D. Illingworth" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:23:42 -0800

text/plain

Beth is correct in her statement about accreditation. You would need
to check with your regional accreditation agency for their particular
wording on the subject but they all address it. Our accrediting
agency, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
approach is this:
> 2.G.5
> Programs and courses offered through electronically-mediated or
> other distance delivery systems provide ready access to appropriate
> learning resources and provide sufficient time and opportunities
> (electronic or others) for students to interact with faculty.
and
> [...]
>

> k.
> The institution monitors whether students make appropriate use of
> learning resources.
>
> l.
> The institution provides laboratories, facilities, and equipment
> appropriate to the courses or programs.
>
> Faculty Support
>
> m.
> Training is provided for faculty who teach via electronic delivery.
>
> n.
> The institution has faculty support services specifically related to
> teaching via electronic delivery.
>
> Student Services
>
> o.
> The institution provides adequate access to the range of student
> services appropriate to support the programs, including admissions,
> financial aid, academic advising, delivery of course materials, and
> placement and counseling.
>
> p.
> The institution provides an adequate means for resolving student
> complaints.
>
> q.
> The institution provides to students advertising, recruiting and
> admissions information that adequately and accurately represents the
> programs, requirements, and services available.
>
> r.
> The institution ensures that students admitted possess the knowledge
> and equipment necessary to use the technology employed in the
> program, and provides aid to students who are experiencing
> difficulty using the required technology.
>
> Facilities and Finances
>
> s.
> The institution possesses the equipment and technical expertise
> required for distance education.
>
> t.
> The institutionís long-range planning, budgeting, and policy
> development processes reflect the facilities, staffing, equipment
> and other resources essential to the viability and effectiveness of
> the distance education program.
>
> Commitment to Support
>
> u.
> The institution offering the program demonstrates a commitment to
> ongoing support, both financial and technical, and to continuation
> of the program for a period sufficient to enable enrolled students
> to complete the degree or certificate.
>
> Evaluation and Assessment
>
> v.
> The institution assesses student capability to succeed in distance
> education programs and applies this information to admission and
> recruitment policies and decisions.
>
> w.
> The institution evaluates the educational effectiveness of its
> distance education programs (including assessments of student
> learning outcomes, student retention, and student satisfaction) to
> ensure comparability to campus-based programs.
>
> x.
> The institution ensures the integrity of student work and the
> credibility of the degrees and credits it awards.

Policies of other accrediting agencies will vary but will be similar.

Ron

Ronald D. Illingworth
Professor
Interior-Aleutians Campus
University of Alaska Fairbanks
907-474-5890 (w)
907-474-5561 (fax)
http://www.iac.uaf.edu/
http://www.faculty.uaf.edu/ffrdi/

On Jun 24, 2008, at 11:17, Diane Snyder wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Is anyone aware of any state or federal laws regarding the need to
> provide
> tutoring services for students taking online courses if the
> institution
> offers tutoring for students on campus?
>

> Obviously, this would be good practice anyway, but I'm wondering if
> there
> are laws regarding this issue.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Dee Dee
>

> Dee Dee Snyder
>
> Tutoring Coordinator
>
> Program Excel and Student Success Services
>

> The Ohio State University Agricultural Technical Institute
>
> 1328 Dover Road, Wooster, Ohio 44691
>

> Phone: (330) 287-1223
>
> In Ohio: (800) 647-8283, ext. 71223
>
> Fax: (330) 287-1333