FW: Neurocinematics

Murray Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion Group for Psychology and the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:20:58 -0400

text/plain

From: William Benzon [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Subject: Re: Neurocinematics

Hi Murray,

I don't think this work will be of much use to Hollywood. Some of the more
intellectual types may find it interesting, but it's not going to help out
with Hollywood's biggest problem, making money.

The case that elicited the greatest variety of audience response, that is,
the least predictable response, was a single uninterrupted shot of
Washington Square. No Hollywood studio is going to release a film like that
- though I believe that Andy Warhol made a film ("Empire"?) that consisted
of a long shot of the Empire State Building. Don't think that pulled in
megabucks. And I don't think Warhol expected or hoped that it would; he made
his money in other ways.

Real films consist of individual shots (of varying lengths) that are edited
into sequences. What this research picked up was how the brain responds to
the structure of shots and sequences. Do box-office winners have distinctly
different editing styles than box-office losers? I doubt it. Or, if so, the
differences would have to be very very subtle, because the people who make
films pay a lot of attention to editing. They already know all the obvious
stuff and use it all the time.

What Hollywood would really like is some way to tell what's going to work
long before they've spent 10s or 100s of millions of dollars to make the
film. I don't think they'll ever get that. I mean, Shakespeare cranked out
some boffo scripts, but what good is a performance if the actors are lousy?

Bill B