]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BEST-L Home

BEST-L  July 2008

BEST-L July 2008

Financial problem solvers needed -- help make energy innovation mainstream businesses in this community

bruderly <[log in to unmask]>

bruderly <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:47:09 -0400

Besters and Friends:

An observation

1. The notice below announces a very interesting new stock index that should
be very useful to local energy entrepreneurs; this index tracks many
companies that are very familiar to those of us who have been active in
promoting renewable and clean energy technology research, development,
demonstration and deployment. Reviewing the index I was struck by the fact
that Verenium is the only company listed with Florida ties; unfortunately
that company recently moved its’ Gainesville operations to California. This
is tragic given the fact that UF created their core technology.

2. Also Florida Power & Light is the worlds’ largest developer of renewable
energy and they just announced plans to build the worlds’ largest solar
installations in South Florida - with companies based in California and
Spain.

3. Gov. Crist is off this week in Europe promoting his energy initiatives in
the UK, France, Spain etc.

4. GRU is now investing in efficiency and renewable energy; they sponsored
an outstanding workshop last week to promote solar and energy efficient
building; many contractors and vendors and advocates from around the State
participated, but only one local banker showed up.

5. The Energy Advisory Commission created by the Alachua County Commission
is now preparing a ground-breaking report with recommendations for action
that will reduce energy costs to consumers and create business opportunities
across the board for innovative goods and services.

6. Many local activists and professionals, all scientists and engineers, and
several of our elected officials have given their hearts and souls, not to
mention leadership, communication skills, personal energy, money, knowledge
and ideas, to promote energy policy and energy innovation in Tallahassee and
Washington, but the financial rewards are NOT coming back to this community.
Something is missing. We are getting a very poor return on our investment of
leadership, knowledge, ideas and energy.

Why? What is missing? What is needed to exploit the opportunities being
created by these concurrent developments?

One of the barriers to widespread commercial deployment of cleaner, safer,
more efficient and renewable energy technologies in Florida and in this
community has been MONEY. The absence of the sufficient sources of capital
(aka MONEY) needed to grow an idea from concept to reality.

Our utilities are starting to step up, but active participation by the
investment, economic development and financial sector professionals is
needed to help entrepreneurs and businesses in this community grow beyond
ideas and learn how to grow their businesses. We are in danger of not
exploiting a huge opportunity. To date the focus of financial professionals
and the expertise and resources they control has been on economic sectors
that offer promise of much higher short-term profit; intellectual property
in health care, for example. This has been good for our community; but we
need to leverage this experience into energy.

It is time to bring our local financial expertise to focus on energy
innovation; it is time to change the perception that energy innovation is a
problem or a cost; it is time for financial community to step up and help us
create investment opportunities.

In spite of strong local activism and academic involvement, North Florida is
in the bush leagues when it comes to developing innovative energy businesses
and creating and implementing credible business plans to exploit emerging
business opportunities.

Part of this problem can be explained by weak or uncertain federal and state
policy and lack of significant financial incentives. Beyond support for
modest university R&D programs energy innovation is seen as something that
needs to be done “someday” and that is essential in the long-term but not
very practical nor profitable in the short-term - at least in this
community. In reality most of the energy entrepreneurs in Florida that I
know have been starving to death waiting for that investor or deal to happen
………. and even though the price of oil is now at record highs and
everybody agrees that energy innovation is a huge opportunity the business
ventures never seem to happen.

We need our financial problem solvers to show this community how to bring
financial solutions for energy businesses into the mainstream economy of our
community.

We need our local experts in venture capital and project financing to step
up help this community learn how to grow local energy innovation businesses
and finance energy innovations in all sectors of our economy. We also need
our international experts to help local entrepreneurs exploit opportunities
that exist in other parts of the world. The talent and knowledge exists in
this community; we need to put that talent to work growing out own energy
innovation businesses.

A critical missing link in our local energy advocacy discussions has been
input and participation from professionals active in the business
development and financial sectors. There are many, many ways to make money
in the energy sector, yet scientists and engineers with innovative ideas
often have limited ability to put those ideas to work in the commercial
sector. This is especially true for entrepreneurs who have good ideas that
do not offer investors the advantage of intellectual property but
nevertheless could be the basis for a very profitable service, construction
or product sales business.

The Energy Advisory Commission created by the Alachua County Commission is
now preparing a ground-breaking report with recommendations for action. It
is time for our local economic development and financial experts to engage
and participate in the process.

Contact Chair Penny Wheat; she has a platform.

I suggest that we ask our local economic development stakeholders to
organize a workshop for successful investors and business leaders to help
create the business and financial infrastructure needed by local small
businesses, professors, students, service professionals, bankers and
contractors to bring their clean and renewable and energy efficiency ideas
to local and global markets.

There is no question that the markets that are developing are huge and are
growing rapidly. Governor Crist, the Public Service Commission, the Climate
Action Team and the Legislature are now developing and implementing policy,
financial incentives and rules that will make energy innovation a growth
industry in Florida.

Carpe diem

David E. Bruderly, PE

Bruderly Engineering Associates, Inc.