]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BEST-L Home

BEST-L  July 2008

BEST-L July 2008

Re: Gulf of Mexico "dead zone" to hit record size: NOAA

Jason Evans <[log in to unmask]>

Jason Evans <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:34:31 -0400

text/plain

Dr. Humphrey is absolutely right to point out the global nature of
the dead zone problem. Near shore areas are affected wherever
there is high nutrient runoff. The following link gets at this in
some detail.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/eutrophic-hypoxic47010708

With that said, the clear links between corn acreage and the areal
extent of the Gulf of Mexico dead zone do raise serious questions
about the wisdom of farm and, increasingly, energy policies that
rely upon mass subsidization and price supports for traditional
row crops. This may have been sent out before, but here's the link
to a recent article in the Proceedings of the Natural Academy of
Sciences that discusses the Gulf dead zone and farm policies.

http://www.pnas.org/content/105/11/4513.full

Jason

--
Jason M. Evans, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Researcher

BioEnergy and Sustainable Technology Society
http://grove.ufl.edu/~bests/