VTS back online at 5:10pm

Scott Crumpton <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:50:45 -0400

text/plain

At approximately 5:10pm the VTS was brought back online to z/OS for
nightly production.

The problem appears to have been caused by filesystem corruption in a
filesystem holding CNS tapes.  No customer tapes were affected.  This
corruption caused a spontaneous re-boot of the server at 11:44am and
then proceeded to generate secondary symptoms that masked the actual
problem making diagnosis difficult.   We were in contact with the vendor
the entire time that we were working on the problem.  Total downtime
about 5 1/2 hours.

After the problem was isolated, the filesystems containing customer
tapes were integrity checked and the VTS was brought back online.  The
failed filesystem remains offline so as to avoid any issues with this
evenings production.

---Scott.

--

Scott C Crumpton
Computer Systems Coordinator, Installation Security Manager

Alternate email address: mailto:[log in to unmask]