Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Ideas for a workshop for international students

Jan Rog <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:10:56 -0500

text/plain

Hello, 2 things:

1) When I presented to faculty with two counselors from my college, we
made short simulated tasks  with BaFaBaFaBa in mind: we had the
"students" - - teachers - - do simple tasks, but in a different
language.  Also, calling upon personality types, we assigned behaviors
that were listed on the back of the individual tasks.  It was good to
see professors struggling with simple math equations, poems, or songs
and then have to produce a summary in a different language.  Also,
because they were working in teams of assigned behaviors, they struggled
trying to work in community.    For the three of us, this brief work (12
- 15 minutes) set the stage for discussing what our ELL students and
nontraditional students face coming into our classrooms.

2) A. Suresh Canagarajah's work is excellent.  The insights into self,
community, form, and content could be points you could address for the
students and/or their families.  Again, I'd go into that by
collaborating with a counselor or someone with student support who could
address U.S. expectations and how they'd be different from the students'
first countries.  In the past, I've modeled simulations with colleagues
in short plays and the students then comment on how these are the same
or different from their countries.  Another way we've introduced these
differences is bringing strong, dynamic student leaders to talk about
their positive experiences with tutoring, using school resources,
getting involved in clubs, etc.

GOOD LUCK!  REMEMBER, YOU'RE DOING THE RIGHT THING EVEN WHEN IT GETS
DIFFICULT. . . .

Jan
English and Humanities
MCC-Longview

>>> Richard Trevino <[log in to unmask]> 07/17/08 1:57 PM >>>
Agree. It is a great simulation but it does take about 2 1/2 hours

_______________________________

Richard Treviño, Jr.

Executive Director, Student Support Services

The University of Texas-Pan American

Learning Assistance Center LEAC 100

1201 W. University Drive

Edinburg, Texas  78539-2999