Periodic short VTS outages

Scott Crumpton <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 14:23:08 -0400

text/plain

Periodically, it's necessary to turn off tape setups in order to do
maintenance on the VTS.   I've been classifying this into two categories:

   1. Actions which could or will require a restart of the VTS, that may
      result in a prolonged outage if problems arise, that might need
      more time than just the lunch hour, or that must be done at some
      time other than lunch time.  These will always be preannounced.
   2. Actions that have no chance of an outage and can be completed
      within a known window (Lunch time).

Today was an example of number 2.  I didn't preannounce it and I had
hoped no one would notice.  But someone did notice.  So, here's what was
going on and I'll let you all decide if you want to get notification of
these short outages.

In this case, one of the filesystems where the tapes are stored is
filling up.  The filesystems are 1TB.  I can move data between
filesystems at around 1.5GB/minute.  Today I moved around 60GB of data
from one filesystem to another.  The move works by deleting the pointer
for the 2-character tape prefix so that the tapes become inaccessible,
copying them, and creating a new pointer to the new copy.  The original
data will not be deleted for several days.  Should a problem occur
during the process, recovery is a simple matter of recreating the
original pointer.  Thus, there is no risk of a prolonged outage and the
time needed can be predicted in advance.  The VTS was never actually
down, only setups were turned off.  There remains about 120GB of data
left to be moved with two major chunks of 74GB and 37GB.  What this
really amounts to is a rebalancing of the filesystems from our initial
assumptions about how much data each group had to better match what has
actually been put in the VTS.

There you have it.  I'm perfectly happy to preannounce all short outages
like this.  You can see from the numbers that the next one (74GB) will
take most of an hour and the one after that around 40minutes.  Just one
vote for announcing and I'll do it.

---Scott.

--

Scott C Crumpton
Computer Systems Coordinator, Installation Security Manager

Alternate email address: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>