Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Cell phones as security issue
From: Mary Frances Janicik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:22:21 -0400

Janie,

We instituted a cell-phone free zone earlier this year for the vendor we hired to perform scanning of our insurance policy application files. Because of the highly sensitive nature of the information in life insurance application files, we couldn't take the risk of the vendor's staff copying the documents using their cell phones.

When we built out their work area, we placed lockers outside the scanning room for storage of their personal belongings. No personal items are allowed into the secured scanning room. As a secondary precaution, we installed video cameras that also monitor the area to ensure unauthorized photocopying or hand-copying of the information from the files doesn't occur.

It sounds crazy, but we couldn't get compliance signoff for the vendor to perform this work without these precautions.

Mary Frances Janicik, CRM
Assistant Vice President
MassMutual Financial Group
U.S. Insurance Group, Document Management Services
Mailing Address: 1295 State Street, W360, Springfield, MA 01111
Toll Free: 800-767-1000, Ext. 46075
Direct: 413-744-6075
Fax: 866-329-4527

MassMutual. We'll help you get there.SM
MassMutual Financial Group is a marketing name for Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual) and its affiliated companies and sales representatives.

Contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> for assistance
mailto:[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>