Skip repetitive navigational links

NCEE report: Consortium of States Implementing "Tough Choi ces or Tough Times"

Dan Kern <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 06:39:22 -0500

text/plain

*	Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Utah announced
<http://www.skillscommission.org/state.htm>  their commitment to overhaul
their state systems of education using the latest report from the Commission
on the Skills of the America Workforce as a model. The National Education
Association also declared its support for these three states. "Tough
<http://www.skillscommission.org/executive.htm>  Choice or Tough Times," a
report released in late 2006, recommends that states graduate high school
students at age 16 ready for college-level work and attempt to recruit those
from the top third of college graduates to become teachers. More states are
expected to join the effort.

Source of blurb:  http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/10/31/qt

http://www.skillscommission.org/executive.htm

Tough Choices or Tough Times 28-page PDF: The Report of the New Commission
on the Skills of the American Workforce:
http://www.skillscommission.org/executive.htm

Consortium of States Implementing "Tough Choices or Tough Times"

Three Key States Commit to Dramatic Makeover of Education from Pre-K to
Higher Education Announcement Follows on Highly Acclaimed 'Tough Choices or
Tough Times' Report
Washington, D.C.-Three governors announced their commitment to the most
dramatic overhaul of education in at least 100 years by supporting state
implementation of the "Tough Choices or Tough Times" reform framework. The
National Education Association, the nation's largest teachers' union,
declared its support for state affiliates' involvement in these efforts.

The decision, by the leaders of Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Utah,
follows two years of discussions centered on the recommendations of the New
Commission on the Skills of the American Workforce. (See press
<http://www.skillscommission.org/commission_news_10-30-08.htm>  release)

Massachusetts
"Massachusetts is committed to building a more robust education system for
our students starting at the pre-kindergarten level and extending through
college. The Readiness Project will address the individual needs of students
and provide them with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in the
21st century global economy." - Deval L. Patrick, Governor, Massachusetts

"We are excited to become part of the 'Tough Choices or Tough Times'
consortium which will enable us to engage in a national conversation with
other state leaders who are committed to transforming public education to
meet the 21st century needs of our students. We are particularly eager to
identify policies, practices and resources that will assist us in
implementing our 'Readiness' agenda and thereby transform our education
system to make it truly competitive with the best education systems in the
world." - Paul Reville, Secretary of Education, Executive Office of
Education, Massachusetts

"On behalf of the Massachusetts Business Roundtable, I support the requests
of Governor Deval Patrick and Secretary of Education Paul Reville to join
the consortium of states assembling to work on implementing the education
reform framework in your landmark report, 'Tough Choices or Tough Times'." -
Alan Macdonald, Executive Director, Massachusetts Business Roundtable

 <http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=gov3homepage&L=1&L0=Home&sid=Agov3>
Massachusetts State Governors Office
 <http://www.doe.mass.edu/> Massachusetts Department of Elementary and
Secondary Education

New Hampshire
"In collaboration with Governor John Lynch and the State Board of Education,
I am formally requesting New Hampshire be considered for inclusion in the
consortium of states that you are developing. Now is the time to further our
work to personalize education in partnership with the work defined in 'Touch
Choices or Tough Times.' Our first step will be to develop a Board
Examination system for New Hampshire. New Hampshire's P-16 working group has
authorized an investigation of possible testing programs aligned to syllabi
set to international standards." - Lyonel B. Tracy, Commissioner of
Education, New Hampshire

"We are pleased to be a major partner in the state's P-16 working group and
very much support the inclusion of New Hampshire as a state with which the
New Commission on the Skills of the American Workforce will assist to
achieve new policies and goals to make students college ready." - Stephen J.
Reno, Chancellor, University of New Hampshire

"New Hampshire's economy rests on the quality of its schools, colleges and
universities to prepare a workforce with 21st century skills. I believe that
New Hampshire is well situated and eager to move forward in this direction
that will ultimately enable us to ensure that the vast number of New
Hampshire students will be college ready without remediation by about 16
years of age." - Lou D' Allesandro, State Senator, New Hampshire

"The current economy in New Hampshire and in particular, our local
community, are forcing us to look at alternative ways to meet the
educational needs of our students while at the same time, meeting the needs
of the community. Your work and the conclusions in 'Tough Choices or Tough
Times' present exciting opportunities to be explored." - Brian J. Blake,
Ed.D, Superintendent of Schools, Hopkinton School District, New Hampshire

"The work of the New Commission on the Skills of the American outlines the
type of thinking in which we must engage for our children's benefit." -
Michael W. Delahanty, Superintendent of Schools, Salem School District, New
Hampshire

 <http://governor.nh.gov/> New Hampshire State Governors Office
 <http://www.ed.state.nh.us/education/doe/organization/commissioner.htm> New
Hampshire Department of Education

Utah
"We are embarking on an important journey - one that will have positive
consequences for our states and our country. I say this with confidence
because the Commission's report, 'Tough Choices or Tough Times,' helped us
in Utah to identify areas of improvement in preparing and training our
workforce. Now, the choice is ours. Do we stand in place-and fall behind-or
do we put our own plan into action?" - Jon M. Huntsman, Jr., Governor, Utah

"We are very impressed with the recommendations put forth in 'Tough Choices
or Tough Times.' I am excited for Utah to participate in this program and am
ready to help in whatever way I can." - David L. Buhler, Interim
Commissioner of Higher Education, Utah

"As pointed out in your report, 'Tough Choices or Tough Times,' the United
States faces serious consequences if we, as a nation, do not find better
ways to develop the workforce of tomorrow. The states, as the 'laboratories
of democracy,' are the best place for innovation. We should be willing
participants in such an effort." - Greg J. Curtis, Speaker of the House,
Utah House of Representatives

"I have read the Commission's recommendations put forth in 'Tough Choices or
Tough Times,' and I am committed to help implement those recommendations in
Utah. We will work closely with the Governor to provide the necessary tools
to make this program succeed. Education has always been a priority for
Senate leadership, and this program will be an important step for Utah and
for the Nation." - John L. Valentine, President, Utah State Senate

 <http://www.utah.gov/governor/index.html> Utah State Governors Office
 <http://www.usoe.k12.ut.us/> Utah State Office of Education

Source:  http://www.skillscommission.org/state.htm

http://www.skillscommission.org/executive.htm

Tough Choices or Tough Times 28-page PDF: The Report of the New Commission
on the Skills of the American Workforce:
http://www.skillscommission.org/executive.htm

June 2022
May 2022
April 2022