Endeavor launch pics

Mike Toomey <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 02:05:17 -0500

Observers (& Space Cadets):

Heidi and I made the trek to Titusville this afternoon to watch the
launching of Space Shuttle Endeavor. We were fortunate to catch a
launch on our first such visit. We had balcony seats at a Mexican
restaurant (we staked our table 4 hours before launch time! We laid
off the margaritas, of course.)

I brought along 10x70 binoculars on tripod, which enabled us to see
the launch pad.  However, the first minute of ascent was too bright to
use them! I'm attaching a few small pics. I'm not much of a
photographer but I hope they may give you a sense of our visit.

The first is the launch pad through 10x binocs (sorry for the camera
shake). The pad is 12 miles away.

The second shows the blast off. Notice the 64 Chevy Impala in the
foreground.  The other bright object in the sky is the moon.

The third pic shows the same street, only without the deep shadows
cast by the blast off. It really was that bright!  (The moon is the
bright object again).

The last pic is the smoke train silhouetted by the moon.

Enjoy!

-Mike