The solar decathlon (http://www.sdeurope.org) is kicking-off with a charrette over the weekend for students starting at the Perry Construction Yard at the Rinker School at 5 pm on Friday Nov. 7. If you could, please let students and others who might be interested know about the event. All are welcome to participate.
The topic areas and charrette schedule are below.
* Friday, 11/7, 5-8: SD Europe Project + Charrette Kick-off (Perry Construction Yard at Rinker School): Introductions + SD Europe Competition goals and deliverables to be discussed. Charrette parameters to be introduced, with objectives stated for group study. Approximately 6-7 student teams will be formed; each team will meet with specific faculty advisors to launch the weekend's research effort.
* Saturday, 11/8, 9a-5p:Charrette underway with teams working independently. Regroup at 3pm at RNK 110 to discuss possibilities, ideas, and alternatives of each initial objective. Revise, focus, and/or redirect for objectives for following day's efforts.
* Sunday, 11/9, 9a-5p: Charrette continues with development/refinement of objectives and deliverables. Regrouping at 3pm at RNK 110 will involve direct conversation about ideas, proposals and discoveries. The goal of at the end of this day is to arrive at a collection of basic design strategies to develop on final day (Nov 11).
* Monday, 11/10: Charrette breaks for classes.
* Tuesday, 11/11, 9a-3p: Charrette resumes. Student teams refocus efforts and refine ideas into specific proposals. At 12pm, student groups to submit final research documents in .doc or .pdf versions, and be prepared for formal research presentations to entire team and larger university audience at RNK 110. Each team will have 10 minutes to present findings, with another 10 minutes of Q&A.
Mobility and Assembly:
Design Here/Build Here
Design Here/Build There
Hybrid Assembly Scenarios
Materials & Skins:
Bringing Light In
Robert Ries, Ph. D.
M. E. Rinker, Sr. School of Building Construction
University of Florida
311 Rinker Hall
Gainesville, FL 32611
t: 352 273 1155
f: 352 392 9606