Student Science Training Program

Gregory Orloff <[log in to unmask]>

KOROLY,MARY JO

Tue, 26 May 2009 10:51:00 -0400

text/plain

Dear Science Grad Students and Postdoctoral Fellows:

Would you like to enhance your teaching and communication skills? Would you like to gain experience in disseminating the broader impacts of your own research? Would you like to make a difference in the life of a motivated young science/engineering student?

We invite you to ask your graduate advisor if you can co-mentor a talented high school student in your laboratory from June 16 thru July 30. These bright, motivated students are selected to be part of the Student Science Training Program (SSTP; www.cpet.ufl.edu/sstp), now in its 51st year at UF. There are 96 SSTP students. About 75 faculty have volunteered to host students, but we still need about 20 more labs in the life sciences. The students are in the lab for ~28 hours per week, and they can work on a small project, help with control or exploratory experiments, or learn and contribute in other ways to the research goals of a working lab. They are required to give 2 oral presentations (mid-term and final), prepare a poster, and submit a rigorous paper about the project they do or contribute to; they can earn three college credits for their work. The research experience is a phenomenal opportunity for them; and usually helps them decide to continue in academic paths leading to careers related to science/technology/engineering/math. It also gives you, the grad student or post doc, a chance to design and oversee the activities of a research student, to develop your own teaching, mentoring, and communication skills, and to gain experience in ways to broaden the impact of your research.

Our Center (faculty, staff and undergrad counselors) is responsible for the students during all times that they are not in the lab; we also communicate with you frequently to make sure that the student is performing at the high level expected by your lab and by the SSTP program. To supplement their lab research, the students have a lecture series (8-8:50 AM daily) and two required evening activities/week (Tuesday and Thursday evenings they have an Honors seminar course and research discussions/paper preparation).

I hope you are interested in participating in this program and that your thesis advisor will agree to co-mentor a student with you in his/her lab. Please let me know if you wish to do this as soon as possible.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to write to us at [log in to unmask] Our office phone number is 392-2310, and Ms. Deborah Paulin or one of our SSTP staff members will be more than happy to speak with you. You are also welcome to contact me (cell is 538-9422).

Thanks so much for considering this request.
Mary Jo Koroly
www.cpet.ufl.edu/SSTP