Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Jan 2009 09:28:19 -0500

text/plain

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range from those for freshmen to seniors. To submit an announcement for posting, please fill out the online form at www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html

Table of Contents

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: National Merit / Achievement Hours:
2.	ANNOUNCEMENT: New Honors Office Location:
3.	ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Walk-in Hours During Drop/Add Week:
4.	HONORS COURSE INFORMATION: Introduction to Honors Professional Development:
5.	HONORS COURSE INFORMATION: Honors Writing for Pre-Law:
HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
6.	LEADERSHIP: Honors Ambassadors Application Available (NEW POSTING):
7.	LEADERSHIP: Honors Ambassadors Meet and Greet (NEW POSTING):
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
8.	RESEARCH: Celebration of Undergraduate Creativity in the Arts and Sciences (NEW POSTING):
9.	INTERNSHIP: Florida PIRG (NEW POSTING):
10.	LEADERSHIP: First-Year Florida Peer Leader Applications (TODAY):
11.	VOLUNTEER: The Golden Door Mentoring Program:
12.	VOLUNTEER: Event Hosts Needed for Career Showcase:
EVENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
13.	ANNOUNCEMENT: VISA Performer Applications (NEW POSTING):
14.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Auditions--Rude Mechanicals Production:
15.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Writing on the Wall Essay Deadline Extended:
16.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Florida Invitational Step Show Essay Competition:
17.	EVENT: Free Improv Show:

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: National Merit / Achievement Hours:
Fran Green will hold walk-in hours for National Merit/Achievement questions this semester, Monday - Thursday from 10:00am-2:00pm in 118 Hume.

2.	ANNOUNCEMENT: New Honors Office Location:
The Honors Program office is now open at 118 Hume Hall (across from the Hume Area desk).  The office is open from 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. Our phone number (352-392-1519) has not changed.

3.	ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Walk-in Hours During Drop/Add Week:
Honors advisors will not be taking any academic advising appointments during drop/add week. Instead, we will have open walk-in advising hours in 118 Hume Hall each day this week from 9:00am-12:00pm and 1:00-4:00pm. Note that not all advisors will be available during these times, so you may not be able to ask for a specific advisor.

Walk-in advising meetings typically run for 5-10 minutes and are, therefore, most useful for quick questions about registration.

Please note the following:

-Honors advisors cannot add students to any classes that are full or override drop/add appointment times.

-If you are having trouble registering for an open class because ISIS says you have not met the prereq, you'll need to contact the department that offers the course. Honors advisors cannot override prereqs, even if you actually have met the prereqs.

-If you need a lengthy review of requirements, need to rearrange your AP/IB credits, or want to discuss long-term planning or undergraduate opportunities, *please* wait until after drop/add week is over to meet with an advisor. We will begin taking advising appointments again after next Monday. Just call our office at 352-392-1519 or stop by Hume to set up an appointment.

4.	HONORS COURSE INFORMATION: Introduction to Honors Professional Development:
There are still a few seats available in IDH 4905: Intro to Honors Professional Development, even though ISIS may say otherwise. If you are a freshman and would like to take this course, just e-mail your UFID to [log in to unmask] . In the course we cover internships, undergraduate research, and study abroad opportunities, and provide workshops on resumes, interviewing, and working with faculty. This 1-credit course meets on Wednesdays, 7th period in 119 Hume.

5.	HONORS COURSE INFORMATION: Honors Writing for Pre-Law:
A new section of Honors Writing for Pre-Law is available. ENC 3254, section 1414, is being offered MWF 3rd period in CBD 110B.

HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

6.	LEADERSHIP: Honors Ambassadors Application Available (NEW POSTING):
If you're interested in joining Honors Ambassadors, the application is now available: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dcccv8gp_143hdfz2wdb

Honors Ambassadors is close-knit organization that works to show the University of Florida to prospective students and to plan events to support the whole Honors community. If you have any questions, please e-mail Allyson at [log in to unmask] For more information, visit www.honors.ufl.edu

7.	LEADERSHIP: Honors Ambassadors Meet and Greet (NEW POSTING):
Do you bleed orange and blue? Do you want to help recruit high school students to the UF Honors Program? Then join the Honors Ambassadors family!

As official representatives of the UF Honors Program, Honors Ambassadors (HAs) both work to attract high school students to the UF Honors Program and plan other events to support current Honors students. Honors Ambassadors is a close-knit organization that results in lifelong friendships. We first get to know each other through the Spring retreat, and continue to grow closer as an organization through our bi-weekly meetings and our work with prospective students. And the best part is, HA is looking for new members!

There will be an formal meet and greet on Wednesday, January 14 in Ustler Hall (the building behind the Student Rec Center) from 6:00-8:00pm. Dress is business attire and refreshments will be served. Come mingle with current ambassadors to learn what HA is all about! For more info, visit our Web site at www.honors.ufl.edu/ha or email [log in to unmask]

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

8.	RESEARCH: Celebration of Undergraduate Creativity in the Arts and Sciences (NEW POSTING):
All UF students are invited to the 2009 University of Florida & Morehouse College HHMI Celebration of Undergraduate Creativity in the Arts & Sciences this Sunday, January 11 from 11:00am - 4:00pm. The event will feature more than 150 exhibits highlighting a broad range of research and creative endeavors by UF and other undergraduates from all over the US. See the Whitney Lab's travelling zoo! (make your friends hold gross live marine organisms.) Talk to UF undergrad Steve Robinette live at Imperial College in London! Music! Dance! Film!  and dozens of science posters and 2 and 3D art posters and displays! Free and open to the public in the first UF undergraduate event of its type simultaneously in both the Harn and Natural History museums.

9.	INTERNSHIP: Florida PIRG (NEW POSTING):
Florida PIRG is a student directed consumer and public interest group dedicated to achieving social change. The main areas of focus are global warming, hunger and homelessness, a cheaper textbook campaign, and voter awareness both nationally and locally. Internships for credit as well as numerous volunteer opportunities are available and allow students to engage their communities both through awareness activities and direct service. For more information and to request an internship application please visit www.floridapirgstudents.org

10.	LEADERSHIP: First-Year Florida Peer Leader Applications (TODAY):
Apply now to be a Peer Leader for First-Year Florida, UF's welcome and transition course for new students. Paired with a UF faculty or staff member, Peer Leaders help facilitate classroom discussions, conduct presentations on course topics, plan out-of-class activities, and serve as role models for new students. Peer Leaders gain leadership and public speaking skills, as well as the unique opportunity to teach undergraduate students in a small classroom setting. Open to all full-time undergraduate students with at least a 2.75 GPA.

Applications and additional information are available at http://www.dso.ufl.edu/nsp/firstyearflorida/instappl.php Applications are due to New Student Programs in Peabody Hall by 4:30pm on Wednesday, January 21.

Information sessions are scheduled to give interested students more specifics about the Peer Leader experience, selection, and training. If you are curious about this opportunity please attend one of these sessions:

-Thursday, January 8 from 5:00-6:00pm at the Institute for Black Culture.

-Wednesday, January 14 from 5:00-6:00pm in the Broward Hall Library.

Don't miss out on this great leadership experience! Apply today!

If you have questions, please contact New Student Programs at 392-1261 ext 236 or [log in to unmask]

11.	VOLUNTEER: The Golden Door Mentoring Program:
Citizens for Social Justice is a student-run non-profit organization. One of our programs, the Golden Door, is an innovative transitional housing and holistic educational program for homeless individuals. The Golden Door's comprehensive support system includes mental and physical health, along with a broad spectrum of mentoring and educational support services. Our program aims to place currently homeless individuals in a healthy and constructive living environment while providing them with the resources necessary to realize their own goals, and chart a path towards accomplishing them.

The Goal Discovery mentoring program may be of particular interest to Honors Students, who would be excellent candidates to share their organizational skills with our residents. We believe students in general have a good sense of realistic goal timelines and would be able to help residents develop their own ambition. Such a position may be of interest to students interested in psychology, counseling, social work, or education, as well as a variety of other subjects.

Other mentoring subject areas include Health, Exercise, Rights Literacy, Communication Skills, Financial Literacy, Arts Mentoring, and Pet Therapy. We believe the mentoring experience will be beneficial for both the student mentor and the homeless individual, and will provide excellent volunteer work experience for any students' resume.

If interested, please view our website at citizensforsocialjustice.com . We plan to implement the program in mid-February, so please contact Megan Ahearn ([log in to unmask]) as soon as possible.

12.	VOLUNTEER: Event Hosts Needed for Career Showcase:
Become a volunteer for the Spring 2009 Career Showcase by becoming an event host. Becoming a host is a great way to get involved with Career Showcase. Whether you are trying to prepare yourself for a future job/internship search or wanting to gain employer contact during your current search, this can be a valuable opportunity. Through this opportunity you can network with employers, become more familiar with the event, or just be involved with one of the largest career fairs in the Southeast. For more information about becoming a host, please e-mail [log in to unmask] by Monday, January 12.

EVENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

13.	ANNOUNCEMENT: VISA Performer Applications (NEW POSTING):
Every spring semester, the Volunteers for International Affairs (VISA) holds International Month, a celebration of the different cultures at the University of Florida. Throughout the month VISA and its sub-organizations host a variety of events including the VISA Talent Show, a showcase of talent and culture that is held in the O'Dome. In preparation for the event, we have released the performer applications, please stop by the VISA office in Reitz 327 to pick one up or e-mail Cindy Manaoat at [log in to unmask] . Applications are due January 23.

14.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Auditions--Rude Mechanicals Production:
Mark your calendars: auditions for the Acrosstown Theatre's production of Rude Mechanicals will be held January 13 from 7:00-10:00pm at the theatre, located at 6519 Main Street. Auditions will consist of cold readings, and there are 7 male and 3 female roles available.

An adaptation of Shakespeare's play, A Midsummer Night's Dream, it is designed to bring the magic of Shakespeare to younger audiences while incorporating innovative techniques in music, movement, and color to bring the stage to life.

Please note that final productions are scheduled for April 2-5, 9-12, and 16-19.

We highly encourage everyone with an interest in theatre to audition, and we hope to see you there!

If you have any questions, please contact director Paul Gabbard at [log in to unmask] or Lindsay Schwieterman at [log in to unmask]

15.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Writing on the Wall Essay Deadline Extended:
The Writing on the Wall Project is an annual diversity program that brings the University of Florida community together to literally and metaphorically break down a wall of hatred and oppression.  The Project will be having an essay contest, and the winner will have the chance to read their essay at the Closing Ceremony of the Writing on the Wall on January 30. The essay topic can be anything related to diversity, such as anything that has happened to you or diversity in general.  Essays should be no longer than 250 words. The deadline has been extended and the last day to turn in essays is January 18 by 11:59pm. Please e-mail your essays attached as a Word Document to [log in to unmask]

16.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Florida Invitational Step Show Essay Competition:
I would like to extend an invitation to participate in our 2009 Collegiate Essay Competition. The Florida Invitational Step Show is a highlight event of the University of Florida Black History Month Celebration, held each February. The event will be hosted on February 28 in the Stephen C. O'Connell Center. FISS 2007 broke all previously held records, including largest attendance, with over 5,000 attendees in our venue! We are committed to improving our show each coming year, and giving back to the community that supports us as well. Applications can be found on the Union's Involvement Website.

17.	EVENT: Free Improv Show:
Come blow off your first week of homework with Theatre Strike Force as they perform improv comedy this Friday at 11:00pm in the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom. This completely made-up-on-the-spot show will take suggestions from the audience and turn them into crazy-make-em-ups!  Admission is free.

You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html .