Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:20:11 -0500

text/plain

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Friday, February 20, 2009

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range from those for freshmen to seniors. To submit an announcement for posting, please fill out the online form at www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html

Table of Contents

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
1.	STUDY ABROAD: Summer in Paris:
2.	LEADERSHIP: Lead101 Membership Recruitment (NEW POSTING):
EVENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
3.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Medical College Forum Registration (NEW POSTING):
4.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Engineers Without Borders (NEW POSTING):
5.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Women's Interlocking Network:
6.	EVENT: National Eating Disorders Awareness Week (NEW POSTING):
7.	EVENT: 40 Days / 4 Nights Tour (TODAY):
8.	EVENT: ServeFest:

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

1.	STUDY ABROAD: Summer in Paris:
We at the Paris Research Center would like to invite you to spend summer in Paris! The application deadline is approaching and a few slots still remain open for the Summer Study Abroad 2009 program at the Paris Research Center. If you have any questions about the program or living in Paris, please contact Emily Seftel or K-Rae Nelson at [log in to unmask] If you would like student feedback on our programs, current, former and returning students would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Our website at www.clas.ufl.edu/PRC has specific information about class information. The application process takes place online, and applications can be filled out at www.abroad.ufic.ufl.edu/

We are planning many exciting activities in conjunction with the courses in Film Studies, Photography, Art and Art History, and French Language and Culture. Activities and site visits within Paris make up a large part of the curriculum, and the program includes excursions outside of Paris. Students from all majors are welcome to apply, and you do not have to speak French to attend.

2.	LEADERSHIP: Lead101 Membership Recruitment (NEW POSTING):
Lead101 is recruiting new members for Spring 2009!

If you are interested in developing the leadership of students on campus through workshops and conferences, if you're interested in developing your own leadership skills, and if you're looking to meet other great leaders on campus, Lead101 is for you!

Applications are available at http://www.dso.ufl.edu/studentorgs/lead101/membership.php and are due Friday, February 27 by 5:00pm.

Questions? Contact membership chair Claire Fluker at [log in to unmask]

EVENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

3.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Medical College Forum Registration (NEW POSTING):

4.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Engineers Without Borders (NEW POSTING):
We'll be having an Engineers Without Borders general body meeting on Tuesday, February 24 at 7:30pm in ROG 122. At this meeting we will begin taking nominees for the new executive board...so be there! Also, we will have updates on our Macedonia, Cambodia, and new international projects, local projects, and research projects!

If you have questions about EWB or nominations, e-mail Katie at [log in to unmask]

5.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Women's Interlocking Network:
If you're interested in community service and meeting new people, you need to check out WIN. WIN invites you to join us for our next General Body Meeting on Monday, February 23 at 7:00pm at MAEB, room 234.

6.	EVENT: National Eating Disorders Awareness Week (NEW POSTING):
The University of Florida community is invited to celebrate NEDAwareness Week 2009 by participating in events across campus focusing on body image and self-esteem, and promoting campus resources. We will be hosting Jessica Weiner as our keynote speaker on Tuesday, February 24 at 7:30pm in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom.  On Wednesday, February 25 at 7:00pm there will be a candle lighting ceremony at the Plaza of the Americas, and on Thursday, February 26 we will host a Women's Health Fair at the Reitz Union. For more information, please visit www.shcc.ufl.edu/gatorwell or call (352) 392--1161 x 4281.

7.	EVENT: 40 Days / 4 Nights Tour (TODAY):
The 40 Days/ 40 Nights Tour is an interactive, live music festival stopping in Gainesville February 20-21, designed to inspire college students to explore and embrace a positive Jewish identity through music and workshops.

An exciting tour flooded with education and entertainment, the NIGHTS will be packed with unforgettable performances from the cutting edge of Jewish musicians while the DAYS will be filled with sessions led by the musicians themselves on songwriting, music marketing, and spirituality.

Schedule of Events:
Friday, February 20, 7:00pm: "Bible Text Study: Torah in Modern Music"
Join UF Hillel for Shabbat services and dinner with the 40 Tour artists, followed by an Oneg Shabbat led by Y-love and a discussion focused on finding allusions to Torah in pop songs.

Saturday, February 21, 12:00pm: "If it's Hebrew, is it Jewish?"
Have lunch with the artists when we take a close look at HaDag Nachash, Idan Raichel, and other Israeli artists and how the fit into the Jewish music genre.

9:00pm:  40 Days/ 40 Nights Concert
Brooklyn artists Diwon, Dov Rosenblatt and Y-love hit the stage at Common Grounds.  Doors open at 8 p.m.

All events associated with the 40 Tour are free and open to the public. Sponsored by UF Hillel and the Jewish Student Union. RSVP to our Facebook event by searching "40 Days 40 Nights."

8.	EVENT: ServeFest:
The overarching aim of ServeFest is for music to serve as medium for community involvement and activism. ServeFest will take place on Saturday, February 21 from 5:00-10:00pm at the Reitz Union Amphitheater.

Service meets entertainment with an organizational fair, live entertainment, food and giveaways. The event will begin with an Organizational Fair taking place on the Colonnade at 5:00pm. At 7:00pm the focus will turn to the musical extravaganza, which will take place promptly at the Reitz Union Amphitheater. There will be free food, live entertainment, raffles, and lots of fun.

More details visit: http://www.dso.ufl.edu/studentorgs/actions/servefest.php

You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html .