Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:18:17 -0500

text/plain

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range from those for freshmen to seniors. To submit an announcement for posting, please fill out the online form at www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html

Table of Contents

HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Pre-Med Information Session: (NEW POSTING)
2.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Steak and Shake for the Cure: (NEW POSTING, TODAY)
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
3.	STUDY ABROAD: Summer in Paris:
4.	LEADERSHIP: Lead101 Membership Recruitment:
EVENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
5.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Dr. Machen Town Hall Forum: (NEW POSTING, TODAY)
6.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Success Society - Power of Goals: (NEW POSTING, TODAY)
7.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: SG & Sustainability Meeting - Gators for a Sustainable Campus:  (NEW POSTING, TODAY)
8.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Striving for Social Justice: (NEW POSTING)
9.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Medical College Forum Registration:
10.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Engineers Without Borders: (TODAY)
11.	EVENT: National Eating Disorders Awareness Week:

HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Pre-Med Information Session: (NEW POSTING)
Interested in being a Doctor? Still wondering what it actually means to be "Pre-Med"? Come get all the answers you need and more! Dr. Patrick Tighe, a practitioner of Anesthesiology at Shands, will be giving a talk about his experiences as a Medical Student and answer any of your questions.

When: Wednesday, February 25th 5:00pm

Where: Hume Commons

2.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Steak and Shake for the Cure: (NEW POSTING, TODAY)
Come join SHO at Steak and Shake on 13th street this Tuesday, February 24 and Thursday, February 26th from 6:00-10:00pm and support the Race for the Cure! Bring a voucher to tell your server that you want 10% of your bill to be donated to the American Cancer Society.
Relay for Life is a very worthy cause that brings together millions of people to honor survivors, remember loved ones, and fight back against cancer. This year the event will be held on March 27th at the O'Connell Center. To join or support our team please visit https://secure3.convio.net/tacs/site/TRR/RelayForLife/RFLFY09FL/632339119?pg=tfind&fr_id=13260 and search for team 'Student Honors Organization' or email [log in to unmask] for more information.

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

3.	STUDY ABROAD: Summer in Paris:
We at the Paris Research Center would like to invite you to spend summer in Paris! The application deadline is approaching and a few slots still remain open for the Summer Study Abroad 2009 program at the Paris Research Center. If you have any questions about the program or living in Paris, please contact Emily Seftel or K-Rae Nelson at [log in to unmask] If you would like student feedback on our programs, current, former and returning students would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Our website at www.clas.ufl.edu/PRC has specific information about class information. The application process takes place online, and applications can be filled out at www.abroad.ufic.ufl.edu/

We are planning many exciting activities in conjunction with the courses in Film Studies, Photography, Art and Art History, and French Language and Culture. Activities and site visits within Paris make up a large part of the curriculum, and the program includes excursions outside of Paris. Students from all majors are welcome to apply, and you do not have to speak French to attend.

4.	LEADERSHIP: Lead101 Membership Recruitment:
Lead101 is recruiting new members for Spring 2009!

If you are interested in developing the leadership of students on campus through workshops and conferences, if you're interested in developing your own leadership skills, and if you're looking to meet other great leaders on campus, Lead101 is for you!

Applications are available at http://www.dso.ufl.edu/studentorgs/lead101/membership.php and are due Friday, February 27 by 5:00pm.

Questions? Contact membership chair Claire Fluker at [log in to unmask]

EVENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

5.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Dr. Machen Town Hall Forum: (NEW POSTING, TODAY)
The Inter-Residence Hall Association is proud to bring UF President Dr. Bernie Machen to the Residence Halls for a question & answer town-hall style forum. The event will be held in Weaver Hall, located within the Tolbert Area, at 7PM on February 24th. All UF Students are invited to attend. Food will be provided.

6.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Success Society - Power of Goals: (NEW POSTING, TODAY)
We will be having our second meeting of the semester this Tuesday, February 24th at 6:00 PM in Matherly 6 (on the ground floor).

The focus of the meeting will be the importance of setting goals and developing strategies to achieve them. For those of you who heard Joe Cirulli, founder of Gainesville Health and Fitness, speak, he emphasized the importance of Think and Grow Rich in his life. We will be having a very exciting and thorough presentation on this American classic by Napoleon Hill.

We will also feature The Success Society's "Steps to Success," a workbook that will put each of you on the path to personal success. This will include several interactive activities at the meeting.

"The establishment of a clear, central purpose or goal in life is the starting point of all success." - Brian Tracy

For more info check out our website at www.success-society.com

7.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: SG & Sustainability Meeting - Gators for a Sustainable Campus:  (NEW POSTING, TODAY)
Representatives from all three Student Government parties will present their sustainability platforms and take questions from you at the next Gators for a Sustainable Campus meeting, which will be held on Tuesday, February 24 at 6:30 pm in CSE E119.

Student Government elections are Feb. 24th and 25th.

We'll also be announcing more ways to become involved in GSC projects and upcoming events. And there will be food!

8.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Striving for Social Justice: (NEW POSTING)
Islam On Campus invites you to Striving for Social Justice on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 from 7:30pm - 9:00pm, Doors open at 7:00 pm at Pugh Hall Auditorium.

Dr. Altaf Husain, a social worker from Virginia, will discuss the call of Islam to uphold justice and to help the weak and oppressed.  Altaf Husain has a PhD from the Howard University School of Social Work, focusing on Muslim immigrant and refugee adaptation in the United States. Altaf is a board member of the Muslim Alliance in North America (MANA) and Islamic Social Services Association of the US and Canada (ISSA).  He has served Vice President - US (1997-1999) and two terms as President (1999-2001, 2001-2003) MSA National. He has also served on the Board of Advisers of MSA National and is a staff member of COMPASS, the MSA National Training Program.

We hope to see you for the final lecture event of Islam Awareness Month!

9.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Medical College Forum Registration: