Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Aug 2009 09:25:10 -0400

text/plain

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range from those for freshmen to seniors. To submit an announcement for posting, please fill out the online form at www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html

Table of Contents

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.      ANNOUNCEMENT: Get more news and updates on the Honors Program (NEW POSTING):
2.      ANNOUNCEMENT: Photos Needed of Your Recent Study Abroad Adventures (NEW POSTING):
3.      ANNOUNCEMENT: National Merit/Achievement and UWC Students:
4.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Walk-in Advising (TODAY)
5.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Drop/Add (TODAY):
6.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: SAT II Placement for Foreign Languages (TODAY):
7.      SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: Fulbright Local Deadline:
STUDENT HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
8.      LEADERSHIP: SHO Executive Board Applications (TODAY):
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
9.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Applications for Leadership Minor (NEW POSTING):
10.     ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Pre-law Q&A Sessions:
11.     JOB OPPORTUNITY: Tutors Needed for the UF Teaching Center:
12.     INTERNSHIP: Synogen Internships:
13.     VOLUNTEER: Center for Leadership and Service Info Session (NEW POSTING):
14.     VOLUNTEER: Volunteers Needed for Run for Darius:
15.     VOLUNTEER: Help Reduce Utility Consumption:
16.     LEADERSHIP: UF Health Troupe Applications:
STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS
17.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Florida Crew Recruitment (NEW POSTING):
18.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Rush Sigma Phi Lambda - A Christian Sorority:
19.     EVENT: Free Improv Show (NEW POSTING):
20.     EVENT: Fourth Annual Praharsha 2009 (NEW POSTING):
21.     EVENT: Darius Goes West! 5K Run/1 mile Walk:
22.     EVENT: Hello Hillel Week:

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.      ANNOUNCEMENT: Get more news and updates on the Honors Program (NEW POSTING):
Want to get more than your Daily dose of honors news and updates? The Honors Program has joined the Web 2.0 community! Check out our new Director's blog at http://ufhonors.wordpress.com . Become a fan of the UF Honors Program on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/mbv73y . Follow UF Honors on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ufhonors

2.      ANNOUNCEMENT: Photos Needed of Your Recent Study Abroad Adventures (NEW POSTING):
Have you studied abroad in 2009? Would you like to be included in our "Postcards from Honors" album on the new UF Honors Facebook page? Please send one photo from your recent study abroad adventure to Melissa at [log in to unmask] . Please include your name and location of your pic in the e-mail, and Postcards in the subject line.

3.      ANNOUNCEMENT: National Merit/Achievement and UWC Students:
Fran Green's fall office hours for National Merit/Achievement and the United World College students are Monday-Thursday from 10:00am-12:00pm and by appointment in 118 Hume.

Fran can also be reached by e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Fran's office hours are for questions you may have about your NM/NA/UWC scholarships.

4.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Walk-in Advising (TODAY)
Honors advisors will not be taking any academic advising appointments during drop/add week. Instead, we will have open walk-in advising hours in 118 Hume Hall each day this week from 9:00am-12:00pm and 1:00-4:00pm. Note that not all advisors will be available during these times, so you may not be able to ask for a specific advisor.

Walk-in advising meetings typically run for 5-10 minutes and are, therefore, most useful for quick questions about registration.

Please note the following:

-Honors advisors cannot add students to any classes that are full or override drop/add appointment times.

-If you are having trouble registering for an open class because ISIS says you have not met the prereq, you'll need to contact the department that offers the course. Honors advisors cannot override prereqs, even if you actually have met the prereqs.

-If you need a lengthy review of requirements, need to rearrange your AP/IB credits, or want to discuss long-term planning or undergraduate opportunities, *please* wait until after drop/add week is over to meet with an advisor. We will begin taking advising appointments again starting August 31. Just call our office at 352-846-6083 to set up an appointment.

5.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Drop/Add (TODAY):
ISIS Registration, www.isis.ufl.edu , is available starting today, August 24. You will have a registration appointment for schedule adjustment which you can find on ISIS.

*Advisors cannot bypass your appointment time to add you to a class early.*

Your schedule must be finalized by 11:59pm on August 28. Don't forget to add a class before you drop one if possible!

For more information on registration, visit http://www.registrar.ufl.edu/soc/regtips.html

6.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: SAT II Placement for Foreign Languages (TODAY):
If you need to take the SAT II for placement into a foreign language class, please visit http://www.at.ufl.edu/testing/placementtesting.php  for information regarding testing registration and dates.

7.      SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: Fulbright Local Deadline:
The Fulbright grant local deadline is September 9, 2009. The U.S. Fulbright Student program is an international exchange program that provides opportunity to conduct research or teach English in elementary and secondary schools worldwide. Fulbright grants for undergraduates are typically awarded after receiving a bachelor's degree. Interested students who are entering their senior year should visit http://us.fulbrightonline.org/home.html and contact UF Fulbright Advisor John Denny at [log in to unmask]

Applications for the SHO Executive Board are now online. If you are interested in applying, please visit the SHO webpage at http://www.honors.ufl.edu/sho and download an application. It is a great way for all students to get more involved on-campus and in the honors program. The deadline for applications is TODAY at 11:59pm. If you have questions, please e-mail the SHO Officers at [log in to unmask]

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

9.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Applications for Leadership Minor (NEW POSTING):
The Agricultural Education and Communication Department is now accepting applications for the Leadership Minor. Students who submit an application and are accepted will be able to register for required courses beginning Spring 2010.

Please see our website, http://aec.ifas.ufl.edu/ldrmnr for curriculum requirements and updated information regarding the newly re-designed Leadership Minor.  Encourage students seeking the minor to review the information and submit an application using the online system available through the webpage.

We will be accepting applications August 24 through September 18.

10.     ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Pre-law Q&A Sessions:
Confused about LSDAS? Trying to figure out how to narrow down your list of schools? Trying to decide when to take the LSAT? Questions about letters of recommendation?  Looking for information regarding law school areas of specialization? Have other law school application questions? This session is for you!  You may come and go as you please. Bring a friend!

The Q&A sessions are taking place this week on Wednesday, August 26 from 3:30-4:30pm and Friday, August 28 from 10:30-11:30am, both in 200 CLAS Academic Advising Center in Farrior Hall.

11.     JOB OPPORTUNITY: Tutors Needed for the UF Teaching Center:
The Teaching Center is looking to hire tutors for the following subjects:
Circuits 1 EEL3111C and Digital Logic EEL 3701, Physics 2048, 2049, 2053, 2054.

You need to have a minimum of a 3.5 GPA, received a B+ or better in the course, and be able to work at least 10hrs/week. Please apply online at www.teachingcenter.ufl.edu

12.     INTERNSHIP: Synogen Internships:
Synogen is a seed-stage venture fund that co-founds medical technology companies. Companies range from seizure detection to non-invasive glucose monitoring. We are currently looking for UF's top students of all majors to assist in public relations, graphic design, market research and business plan development. We are now accepting applications for fall interns through September 2. You can apply online on our website at www.synogen.com/equity/internship.asp

13.     VOLUNTEER: Center for Leadership and Service Info Session (NEW POSTING):
Looking for a way to get involved on campus? Come out to the Center for Leadership and Service general information session on Monday, August 31 from 4:00-6:00pm in the Reitz Union Auditorium. Here you can learn about the many opportunities available to everyone from incoming freshman to seniors. Directors will discuss the roles of each of our 10 organizations, ways to get involved, and the application process. We reach a diverse range of areas and issues and offer everything from leadership positions to general community service to various volunteer opportunities. Visit us at www.dso.ufl.edu/cls or contact Mark Hermano at [log in to unmask] for additional information.

14.     VOLUNTEER: Volunteers Needed for Run for Darius:
Calling all pre-health professional students! The Student Physical Therapy Association needs immediate volunteers for the "Run for Darius" 5k race this Saturday, August 29!  Be part of this large effort in raising awareness for duchenne muscular dystrophy.

Volunteer duties include race setup, pre-registration, and general logistics management.

To volunteer please attend our volunteer informational session this Thursday, August 27 at 7:00pm in Reitz Room 346.

Facebook Event Page: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=135233583872

For more information, please contact Ryan Balmes ([log in to unmask])

15.     VOLUNTEER: Help Reduce Utility Consumption:
The CWC will be partnering with Neutral Gator (http://neutralgator.org/) to kick off our "renter's initiative" on Saturday, August 29 from 10:00am-6:00pm. Our first goal in this initiative is to audit and retrofit all 200 units at the Village Green Apartment Complex in east Gainesville. By helping Village Green residents reduce their monthly utility consumption, we will be helping low-income citizens, saving taxpayer dollars, and making our community more environmentally sustainable. Throughout the day on August 29, we'll be interviewing residents of Village Green to help them identify ways they can save money on their utility bills, and performing minor retrofits to their apartments (e.g., changing lightbulbs, installing low-flow aerators, etc.).

Please note: you do not need to have undergone the CWC auditor training to help out at this event--training will be provided on-site.  Please join us for this exciting new stage of the CWC's development and take part in an opportunity to offset UF Athletics' carbon emissions. If you would like to volunteer for this event, please RSVP to Angelica Ramdhari at Neutral Gator ([log in to unmask]).

16.     LEADERSHIP: UF Health Troupe Applications:
Want to gain leadership experience while helping to serve the community?

Health Troupe at UF is currently accepting applications for the executive board positions of Webmaster and Public Relations.

All majors are welcome and encouraged to apply!

The primary purpose of this organization serves to spread awareness amongst children and young adults regarding the value of healthy eating and exercise in disease prevention.

Contact [log in to unmask] for further details and an application.

STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS

17.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Florida Crew Recruitment (NEW POSTING):
There will be informational meetings on Monday, August 31 at 7:00pm in Reitz 286; Tuesday, September 1 at 9:00pm in Reitz 361; and Wednesday, September 2 at 9:30pm in Reitz 362 for anyone interested in becoming a part of the UF Rowing team. No experience is necessary!

This event is open to all UF students and staff, so come out and become a part of one of the largest and most successful Sports Clubs on campus! Races take place in both the Fall and Spring semesters; you will have the opportunity to compete with other schools in state and around the country.

Check out our website at www.ufcrew.com

18.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Rush Sigma Phi Lambda - A Christian Sorority:
Sigma Phi Lambda (Sisters For The Lord) is independent of any Panhellenic council. Our sisterhood exists solely to glorify our Lord Jesus Christ and make His name great. We achieve this through weekly Chapter meetings, Community Service and Outreach Projects, Accountability Groups, Bible Studies, Formal and Informal Socials, and Intramural Sports Teams.

The Nu Chapter was founded in 2003 at UF and has initiated over 140 members so far. Our sisters are involved in FCA, Campus Crusade, Golden Key, Student Government Senate and Cabinet, BCM, Cicerones, Student Honors and numerous other organizations at UF.

For more information please join our facebook rush group (Sigma Phi Lambda:Rush 2009) or e-mail us at [log in to unmask]

19.     EVENT: Free Improv Show (NEW POSTING):
This Friday, come see Theatre Strike Force explode with improv for FREE in the Orange & Brew at 10:00pm.  If you like "Whose Line is it Anyway?", you'll love this night of crazy-make-em-ups.

20.     EVENT: Fourth Annual Praharsha 2009 (NEW POSTING):
What better way to start the new academic year than by attending Gator for Asha's "Praharsha 2009: the Fourth Annual Festival of Hope and Happiness"! Admission is free and will start at 6:00pm on Saturday, August 29 in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom. Join us for a relaxing evening of good food and a variety of multicultural performances! Organized to raise awareness for the support of children's education worldwide by such like-minded organizations as Gators for Asha and Children Beyond Our Borders, come celebrate and broaden your awareness of this cause at the start of another year of your own education!

21.     EVENT: Darius Goes West! 5K Run/1 mile Walk:
Run for Darius to benefit Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy research is taking place this Saturday, August 29. Registration begins at 7:00am at the Commuter Parking Lot on Gale-Lemerand Drive. Register early online at www.active.com, search for "Run for Darius". Learn about Darius and his mission at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2yoOlicmww

"Darius Goes West: The Roll of His Life," was the most decorated film of 2007 and tells the story of 15-year-old Darius Weems from Athens, Ga., as he leaves home for the first time. Darius was born with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, the most common fatal genetic disorder to affect children worldwide. Darius and his accompanying friends-turned-filmmakers have a specific goal: to get his wheelchair customized on MTV's hit show, "Pimp My Ride." Along the way they discover joy, brotherhood, and the knowledge that life, even when imperfect, is always worth the ride. An inspirational film and a must see!

22.     EVENT: Hello Hillel Week:
Hillel has a week of exciting events where you can meet other Jewish students. Everything is at Hillel, 2020 W. University Ave., unless otherwise noted:

Friday, August 28: Shabbat services and free Kosher dinner, 7:00pm. Walking to Hillel? You can meet up with other students at 6:30pm at Gator Corner dining hall, the Rawlings bus stop OR Murphree Area Commons.

Saturday, August 29: Morning service, 10:30am, followed by lunch at 1:00pm. Later, join us on the Plaza of the Americas at 7:45pm for a picnic and Havdalah service.

Sunday, August 30: Luau at Broward Pool, 2:00-4:00pm.

Tuesday, September 1: Get Involved, Get Connected, 6:30-8:30pm. Come find out how to get involved at Hillel!

For more information, contact Rabbi Yoni at [log in to unmask]

You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html