Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:29:15 -0500

text/plain

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range from those for freshmen to seniors. To submit an announcement for posting, please fill out the online form at www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html

Table of Contents

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.	ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Spring Walk-in Advising Hours:
HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
2.	LEADERSHIP: Honors Ambassadors Application Available:
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
3.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Exploratory Majors Workshop (TODAY):
4.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Journal of Young Investigators:
5.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Junior Honors Medical Program Information Session (TODAY):
6.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Business Bash (TODAY):
7.	JOB OPPORTUNITY: Tutors for Circuits and Thermodynamics:
8.	JOB OPPORTUNITY: Graphic Artist and/or Webmaster Position:
9.	LEADERSHIP: RA/RCA Applications for 2009-2010:
10.	LEADERSHIP: SAVANT Leadership Honorary Applications:
11.	LEADERSHIP: Engineering Ambassadors (TODAY):
EVENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
12.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Florida Crew Team Recruitment (NEW POSTING):
13.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Resume Critiques by Warrington Diplomats (TODAY):
14.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Student Finance Group (NEW POSTING):
15.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Society of Academic Religious Studies Meeting (NEW POSTING, TODAY):
16.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Phi Sigma Pi National Co-ed Honor Fraternity (NEW POSTING, TODAY):
17.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Animal Activists of Alachua Meeting (TODAY):
18.	EVENT: Rally for Peace (NEW POSTING, TODAY):

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.	ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Spring Walk-in Advising Hours:
Starting on Tuesday, the Honors Program will have walk-in advising hours from 2:00 to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday throughout the Spring 2009 semester in 118 Hume. Please note, there will be no walk-in hours next Friday, January 16. Students are still welcome to arrange advising sessions by appointment by calling 352-392-1519.

HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

2.	LEADERSHIP: Honors Ambassadors Application Available:
If you're interested in joining Honors Ambassadors, the application is now available: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dcccv8gp_143hdfz2wdb

Honors Ambassadors is close-knit organization that works to show the University of Florida to prospective students and to plan events to support the whole Honors community. If you have any questions, please e-mail Allyson at [log in to unmask] For more information, visit www.honors.ufl.edu

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

3.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Exploratory Majors Workshop (TODAY):
Puzzled About Your Major? Come to this session for exploratory majors on Thursday, January 15 from 3:00-4:00pm in room 200 of the Academic Advising Center (Farrior Hall).

4.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Journal of Young Investigators:
The Journal of Young Investigators (JYI) is an international peer-reviewed undergraduate research journal dedicated to improving the communication skills of future members of the scientific community. JYI is currently accepting high-quality submissions for its 2009 issues.

If you are interested in publishing at JYI, or would like more information, please visit www.jyi.org or contact Laura Fishwick at [log in to unmask]

5.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Junior Honors Medical Program Information Session (TODAY):
The Junior Honors Information Session will be held on Thursday, January 15 at 5:30pm in the DeWeese Auditorium (LG-101) of the McKnight Brain Institute. Preliminary applications will be on hand, and students will be able to turn in transcripts at that time as well. Also, from January 15-February 2, applications will be online at our new website: http://jhmp.sites.medinfo.ufl.edu/

6.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Business Bash (TODAY):
Business Bash introduces students to all aspects of the business college, including student organizations, a representation of different majors, combined degree advisors, study abroad personnel, prestigious university programs, and more.

It's taking place on Thursday January 15 from 5:00-7:00pm in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom.

There's not a better time to gain your competitive advantage and network with student leaders than at the 2009 BACC Business Bash.

Free catered food will be included for all those who arrive at 5:00pm.

Please contact Brian Halston at [log in to unmask] or visit www.ufbacc.org for further information.

7.	JOB OPPORTUNITY: Tutors for Circuits and Thermodynamics:
The Teaching Center is looking to hire tutors for Circuits and Thermodynamics. Applicants should have taken the course at UF and received a B+ or higher. Tutors are expected to work at least 10 hours a week. Pay starts at $7.50/hr with opportunities for raises.

Please apply online at http://www.teachingcenter.ufl.edu/employment.html

8.	JOB OPPORTUNITY: Graphic Artist and/or Webmaster Position:
The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs is looking for 1 or 2 people to work as a Graphic Artist and/or Webmaster. Some individuals may have all the necessary skills and time to work up to 20 hours per week in this position with both sets of responsibilities as graphic designer and webmaster; some may be only able to do one or the other.  These individuals would report to the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and will support the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, including their primary website as well as the departmental websites for Off Campus Life, Multicultural Affairs, and the Center for Leadership and Service.

The Graphic Artist will design publications and marketing materials for the VPSA which may include annual reports, a parents calendar, brochures, posters, flyers, postcards, etc.  Need knowledge and experience working with the following software: Indesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. Knowledge of Flash also a plus, for the potential creation of Flash Page Flip electronic books. Can work 5-10 hours a week between 8-5pm in the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.

The Webmaster is responsible for creating, editing, maintaining, and updating the websites maintained through the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, including their primary website as well as the departmental websites for Off Campus Life, Multicultural Affairs, and the Center for Leadership and Service. Knowledge and experience with website design involving of Dreamweaver, HTML, JavaScript, PHP, MySQL database, Flash. Will provide training to web editors  Will develop web forms as needed by the programs. Can work 5-10 hours a week between 8-5pm in the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs

These position(s) will pay $10.00 an hour.  For a graduate student, there is the possibility of a tuition waiver for a graduate assistantship.  Please send your resume and your projected availability during spring 2009 and/or summer 2009 to Jeanna Mastrodicasa at [log in to unmask]   E-mail or call 392-1265 if you have any questions regarding the position.

9.	LEADERSHIP: RA/RCA Applications for 2009-2010:
The Department of Housing and Residence Life Education is currently seeking applicants for the position of Resident Assistant/Residential College Advisor for 2009-2010 academic year. RAs/RCAs serve as advisers to residents, build a community for their residents, enforce policies and regulations, exercise good judgment in possible crisis situations and are role models. Our staff members gain a sense of accomplishment, pride, self-worth and receive personal and professional growth opportunities. As an RA/RCA on our staff, you will help put the unity in community!

Some requirements include: have lived on campus at least 1 semester, be in good academic/disciplinary standing and have a 2.5 cumulative GPA.

Applications are available in the Housing Office (corner of 13th and Museum Road) or any residence hall area desk. For more information call 352-392-2171, ext. 10139, e-mail Christine [log in to unmask] or Kathy [log in to unmask] . Visit http://www.housing.ufl.edu/housing/reslife_main.html for information on info sessions, applications and position description.

10.	LEADERSHIP: SAVANT Leadership Honorary Applications:
SAVANT Leadership Honorary was founded in 1967 and is now one of the largest and fastest growing organizations on campus. We are the University of Florida's "Most Progressive Leadership Honorary." SAVANT is currently accepting applications for the Spring 2009 class. Applications are now available at www.savantuf1967.com. Fill out the application and e-mail it to [log in to unmask] no later than Friday, January 16 by 11:59pm.

11.	LEADERSHIP: Engineering Ambassadors (TODAY):
We will be holding our Spring Meet and Greet on Thursday, January 15.  The event will begin at 6:30pm in the Graham Gallery (located above the Graham residence hall area). Business casual dress is expected, and refreshments will be served. This is a great chance to learn more about Engineering Ambassadors and meet current members.

EVENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

12.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Florida Crew Team Recruitment (NEW POSTING):
Florida Crew is the Nationally Ranked Men's & Collegiate Club Women's Rowing team at the University of Florida. Represent Florida as you compete for the national championship in America's first intercollegiate sport. We are recruiting new rowers and coxswains for the spring racing season. No experience is necessary- all that is required is the desire to work hard. Contact Matthew Kuhl at [log in to unmask] or visit our website at FloridaCrew.com to set up a tour of our boathouse on Newnan's Lake in East Gainesville.

13.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Resume Critiques by Warrington Diplomats (TODAY):
Stop by Stuzin 267 on Thursday, January 15, from 11:00am to 3:00pm and Friday, January 16, from 11:00am to 1:00pm to have your resume critiqued by CRC trained Warrington Diplomats. This is a great opportunity to get your resume finalized just before Career Showcase.

14.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Student Finance Group (NEW POSTING):
Make sure to come out and drop by Student Finance Group's booth at Business Bash which is coming up this Thursday, January 15 from 5:00-7:00pm in the Reitz Grand Ballroom.  It is a great opportunity to experience all aspects of the Warrington College of Business, including 20+ student organizations, study abroad/graduate school directors, and business college advisors.  Free catered food for all those who arrive at 5:00pm!

Also this will give you a chance to find out more information about our club before our first meeting! This will be held on Thursday, January 22 at 6:15pm in Keene-Flint Hall (FLI 50).

Please direct any questions to [log in to unmask]

15.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Society of Academic Religious Studies Meeting (NEW POSTING, TODAY):
The Society of Academic Religious Studies will have its first meeting of the semester this Thursday, January 15 at 7:00pm in Anderson 117. We will be discussing plans for this semester, as well as everyone's response to the Rally for Peace occurring earlier on in the day.

Religion majors/minors--as well as anyone else interested in the academic study of religion--are encouraged to attend.

16.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Phi Sigma Pi National Co-ed Honor Fraternity (NEW POSTING, TODAY):
Come out and rush for Phi Sigma Pi! We're not your average fraternity. We are co-ed and open to all types of majors. Our organization is based upon three ideals: scholarship, leadership and fellowship.

Come and see what we're all about. We will be tabling this Thursday and Friday, (January 15 and 16) and next Tuesday and Wednesday (January 20 and 21) in Turlington Plaza from 10:00am to 2:00pm.

Watch our awesome video and get more information at www.pspuf.com

17.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Animal Activists of Alachua Meeting (TODAY):
Join us as we discuss our exciting upcoming events. We've planned volunteer days at Rooterville and Jungle Friends, as well as an animal rights film festival, VegFest, cooking demos, and speakers. We'll have our t-shirts available too! Find out more at our meeting on Thursday, January 15 at 7:30pm in Reitz Union room 349. Contact [log in to unmask] for more info.

18.	EVENT: Rally for Peace (NEW POSTING, TODAY):
In response to the turmoil affecting Israel and the Gaza strip, the Society of Academic Religious Studies will sponsor a rally for peace and understanding this Thursday between 12:00 and 1:00pm at Turlington Plaza.

The purpose of this demonstration is not to vilify any one side of the turmoil, but to offer prayers of mourning for those who have lost their lives and pronouncements of hope for those still living through such turmoil.

People interested in participating in the rally are encouraged to dress black and bring signs that either express sympathy for the plight of everyone living through this plight--Israeli and Palestinian--or stress the need for getting educated regarding the complexities of the conflict.

You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html .