Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Sep 2009 09:37:02 -0400

text/plain

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range from those for freshmen to seniors. To submit an announcement for posting, please fill out the online form at www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html

Table of Contents

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Degree Audit Workshop (NEW POSTING):
2.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Fall Walk-in Advising Hours:
3.      ANNOUNCEMENT: Survey on Study Abroad, Research, and Internship Experiences:
4.      SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: Gates Cambridge Webinar (NEW POSTING):
5.      STUDY ABROAD: Honors in Paris, Spring 2010 (TODAY):
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
6.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: WCBA Business Bash:
7.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Speech & Debate Team Open House & Informational Meeting (TODAY):
8.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Applications for Leadership Minor:
9.      INTERNSHIP: Southern Legal Counsel, Inc:
10.     VOLUNTEER: Volunteer Application for Small Business Consulting (NEW POSTING):
11.     LEADERSHIP: Assistant Director Applications for Gators March for Babies:
STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS
12.     ANNOUNCEMENT: TRiP Sign-ups:
13.     ANNOUNCEMENT: Fencing Info Meeting and Practice (TODAY):
14.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Society of Physics Students (NEW POSTING0:
15.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Student Finance Group (NEW POSTING):
16.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Heal the World (NEW POSTING):
17.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: American Medical Student Association Registration (NEW POSTING):
18.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Model United Nations Club (TODAY):
19.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: UF Paintball Team:
20.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Universities Allied for Essential Medicines:
21.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Roots & Shoots Environmental Club:
22.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: UF College Bowl:
23.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: FACES Modeling Troupe:
24.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Theta Tau Engineering Fraternity:
25.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Florida Crew Recruitment (TODAY):
26.     EVENT: Out-of-State and International Student Welcome Reception (NEW POSTING):
27.     EVENT: Alternative Transportation Fair (TODAY):

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Degree Audit Workshop (NEW POSTING):
Wondering how to find out what gen ed courses you are still missing? Want to know how to find your tracking requirements? Interested in looking at requirements for other majors or minors? Come to a degree audit workshop! Melissa will teach you all you need to know about reading your degree audits during two workshops next Wednesday, September 9 during 4th period or 9th period in 119 Hume. Geared especially for first-year students. Seating is limited, so please e-mail Melissa at [log in to unmask] to register. Include the period of the workshop you plan to attend. You will need to bring a copy of your degree audit from ISIS as a reference.

2.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Fall Walk-in Advising Hours:
Starting on Tuesday, the Honors Program will have walk-in advising hours from 2:00 to 4:00pm, Tuesday through Thursday throughout the Fall 2009 semester in 118 Hume.

Advisor schedule:
Tuesdays: John.
Wednesdays: Regan.
Thursdays: Melissa.

Walk-in advising meetings typically run for 5-10 minutes and are, therefore, most useful for quick academic questions. Students are still welcome to arrange advising sessions by appointment by calling 352-846-6083.

3.      ANNOUNCEMENT: Survey on Study Abroad, Research, and Internship Experiences:
The Honors Program is collecting information about the study abroad, research, and internship experiences of our students. If you have participated in at least one of those activities at any time during your undergraduate career, please complete the information below.

In addition, if you'd like to share your experiences with the Honors Professional Development courses for freshmen, please indicate so at the bottom of the survey. An instructor will contact you to make further arrangements.

Survey link: http://tinyurl.com/lgb2vq

4.      SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: Gates Cambridge Webinar (NEW POSTING):
The Gates Cambridge community would like to invite all interested students to participate in a "webinar" information session on the Gates Cambridge Scholarship on September 10 at 4:00pm. This webinar is intended to provide an introduction to Cambridge University, the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, the application process, and allow for any questions and follow-up for those interested in applying.

Registration for this conference is free and open to everyone. Registration details can be found at www.gatesscholar.org/coffeehouse

The Gates Scholarship is an educational program developed by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation that brings gifted students to Cambridge University for graduate study. Selection of Gates Scholars is driven by the values of the Gates Foundation, and on the basis of a person's intellectual ability, leadership capacity and desire to use their knowledge to contribute to society throughout the world.

5.      STUDY ABROAD: Honors in Paris, Spring 2010 (TODAY):
Learn more about this exciting opportunity at the Honors in Paris Information Session, Tuesday, September 1 in 117 Little Hall. Current and former faculty members from the Honors in Paris program will be there to talk about the 2010 program and to answer any questions you may have. This program is open to students from all majors and the courses are conducted in English; there is no language requirement to attend.

 The Honors in Paris program is an outstanding opportunity for high-achieving students in all majors, and combines high-caliber academics with the incredible opportunities the city of Paris has to offer. In addition to intensive studies of Modern and Visual French Cultures taught by distinguished UF faculty members, students will participate in activities including a week-long trip,  lectures by esteemed guest speakers, group dinners,  concerts, and excursions to other areas of France. Classes are held at the UF Paris Research Center, located in Columbia University's Reid Hall, an innovative center for American academic life in the heart of Paris.

This year's theme, Engagements with France: Images, Texts and Cultures, features a curriculum tailored for motivated students enthusiastic about living in France, with Paris as the classroom. Challenging and interactive courses include:

*Modern Paris and Contemporary French Culture*
*An Appetite for Paris: Gender, Globalization and Food*
*The Flâneur Reconsidered: Photography and Video in the Streets of Paris*
*Strategic Communications in France as a Reflection of Society and Culture*
*The Knight, The Lady and The King: Courtly Love and Chivalry in Medieval French Romance*
*Beginning French at the PRC*

Learn more at www.clas.ufl.edu/PRC/ or e-mail us at [log in to unmask]

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

6.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: WCBA Business Bash:
The WCBA Business Bash introduces students to all aspects of the business college, including student organizations, a representation of different majors, combined degree advisers, study abroad personnel, prestigious university programs, and more. It will be held on Wednesday, September 2 from 5:00-7:00pm in the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom. There's not a better time to gain your competitive advantage and network with student leaders than at the 2009 BACC Business Bash. Free catered food will be included for all who arrive at 5:00pm. Please visit the Business College Council website, http://www.ufbacc.org, for further information.

7.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Speech & Debate Team Open House & Informational Meeting (TODAY):
Let your voice be heard! The UF Speech and Debate team will be hosting its Fall Open house and informational meeting on Tuesday, September 1 at 6:30pm in Rolfs 211. The team is open to all undergraduates--no experience or audition required!  Those who enjoy public speaking or are interested in law, politics or business would be a few of the many who would benefit from the team. Come learn about the different events and how you can get involved. Refreshments will be provided. The Speech & Debate Team is funded by SG. For more information visit http://www.cwoc.ufl.edu/debate/ or call Kellie Roberts at 392-5421.

8.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Applications for Leadership Minor:
The Agricultural Education and Communication Department is now accepting applications for the Leadership Minor. Students who submit an application and are accepted will be able to register for required courses beginning Spring 2010.

Please see our website, http://aec.ifas.ufl.edu/ldrmnr for curriculum requirements and updated information regarding the newly re-designed Leadership Minor.  Encourage students seeking the minor to review the information and submit an application using the online system available through the webpage.

We will be accepting applications August 24 through September 18.

9.      INTERNSHIP: Southern Legal Counsel, Inc:
Southern Legal Counsel, Inc. (SLC) is a non-profit, public interest law firm located in Gainesville that is committed to the ideal of equal justice for all. SLC provides legal representation to groups and individuals who otherwise would not have access to the criminal justice system. SLC is looking for part-time student volunteers interested in law, civil rights and/or public policy to intern as either a volunteer or for academic credit.

For more information about SLC and instructions for applying for student positions with SLC, please visit www.southernlegal.org

10.     VOLUNTEER: Volunteer Application for Small Business Consulting (NEW POSTING):
SIFE's Small Business Consulting Program has started! SBC has been assisting local business owners since 2001, helping them develop business and marketing plans and providing them with a variety of other services. Typically, we form teams of 5-7 students from a range of educational backgrounds (finance, marketing, accounting, etc.). Each team will have a captain who has worked with SBC before and will act as the liaison with the business. Depending on the entrepreneur, teams will produce business plans, marketing plans, or other services for start-ups and/or businesses hoping to reduce costs, increase revenues, and enter new markets. This year, we have 9 companies from a variety of industries that are excited to work with SIFE.

If you are interested, please see our website for an application at http://www.ufsife.com/business-consulting.html . Applications will be due by Friday, September 11 at 5:00pm. This project depends on volunteers like you, and your participation goes a long way in helping out local entrepreneurs, even changing their lives! I was a captain for one of the teams last year, and it was truly an amazing experience. Let me emphasize that you all have something to contribute to these teams, so don't be nervous about being "qualified" enough. Please e-mail Daniel Perlman at [log in to unmask] with any questions or concerns.

11.     LEADERSHIP: Assistant Director Applications for Gators March for Babies:
The March of Dimes Collegiate Council is looking for driven and passionate individuals interested in helping with the largest and most successful collegiate event for March of Dimes nationwide. Gators March for Babies (formerly Gatorwalk) will take place on Sunday, November 8. Currently, we are recruiting for assistant director applications to help out with the event that raises awareness and funds for premature birth. Act now, spots are filling up quickly!

Applications can be found at www.gatorsmarchforbabies.org or you can e-mail [log in to unmask] Applications are due Thursday, September 9.

STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS

12.     ANNOUNCEMENT: TRiP Sign-ups:
If you want to escape Gainesville for a weekend (or just a day) we have the perfect excursion already planned for you and your friends! Check out the TRiP website at http://www.union.ufl.edu/trip/ for awesome backpacking, rock climbing, paddling, sailing, whitewater rafting, horseback riding, surfing and skiing opportunities (and more!).

Sign-ups are at 12:00pm on Wednesday, September 2 at the Outfitter in the Reitz Union (Ground floor). Try to get there early so you get your TRiP before it sells out!

13.     ANNOUNCEMENT: Fencing Info Meeting and Practice (TODAY):
Ever wanted to learn how to fence?  Come learn more about the Olympic sport of fencing at our informational meeting on Tuesday, September 1 at 8:00pm in front of Gate 1 of the O'Connell Center! There will be demonstrations of all three weapons and a question/answer session.

Practice for all interested fencers will begin Wednesday, September 2 in the Florida Gym gymnasium from 6:00-7:00pm. Practice will continue to be on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for the rest of the semester.

14.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Society of Physics Students (NEW POSTING0:
Are you a Physics Major or Minor? Or perhaps you just like physics? Want to discover what it means to be a physics student, learn how to become a member of SPS, or unearth all the great things we've got planned for the year ahead?

Come to our first meeting of the year! We will be meeting Wednesday, September 2, at 8:00pm in NPB 2205. You might even get to see what happens when a person drinks liquid nitrogen and have a taste yourself! Also come to savor in the pizza and refreshments and make and eat ice cream made from liquid nitrogen!

For more information, please e-mail us at [log in to unmask]

15.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Student Finance Group (NEW POSTING):
Student Finance Group is hosting Capital One at our first meeting of the semester! SFG will have its first general meeting on Thursday, September 3 starting at 6:15pm in Turlington L005. Capital One will be accepting resumes for its Finance Rotation Program. This is a great opportunity to talk one-on-one with recruiters and hand them a resume! Come join us for free pizza at the end of the meeting and meet some new business majors! We will also be attending Business Bash on September 2 from 5:00-7:00pm in the Reitz Rion Ballroom. We invite you to say "Hello!" to the officers and see what the group is about! Come sign up for our Listserv and enjoy the free food and drinks!

16.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Heal the World (NEW POSTING):
Come Heal the World. Start this semester right by coming to Heal the World's first general body meeting Thursday, September 3 at 7:00pm in CSE E121. Find out what Heal the World is all about and what our plans are for the year including: international service trips, ongoing service activities, special event service activities, fall intramurals, and more. For more information, visit
http://grove.ufl.edu/~heal

17.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: American Medical Student Association Registration (NEW POSTING):
Are you a freshman eager to join the medical field and full of questions about the process? Or are you just looking to get involved and further your education beyond the classroom, while meeting other Pre-Meds like you? Then join AMSA. Registration is now open and lasts until September 18. The application and additional information about our organization can be found at www.ufpremed.org

18.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Model United Nations Club (TODAY):
The University of Florida Model United Nations club would like to invite all comers for our first meeting of the new year. We are an internationally-minded club and have a variety of activities throughout the year for everyone to participate in. Not only are we active on campus, but we also travel around the country attending conferences.

Our first meeting is Tuesday, September 1 in the New Physics Building room 1002 at 8:20pm.  We will have icebreakers, future conference dates, and much, much more.  All are welcome!

For more information or if you wish to be added to the listserv, please e-mail us at [log in to unmask]

19.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: UF Paintball Team:
The UF paintball team is having the first meeting of the year in Reitz Union room 285 on Wednesday, September 2 at 8:00pm. The team competes in the National Collegiate Paintball Association against many other schools such as Georgia, Texas, Michigan, UCal and placed 17th in the nation last season. Please visit our website at www.ufpaintball.org

20.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Universities Allied for Essential Medicines:
Interested in global/public health policy? Are you pre-health, pre-law, journalism, poli sci, economics major? We have a place for you! Learn how you can help in the fight to make essential medicines available to people who need them most!

New member informational meeting in Hume general meeting room area on Wednesday, September 2 at 7:00pm! Visit: www.essentialmedicine.org

21.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Roots & Shoots Environmental Club:
Roots & Shoots is a student run environmental club part of the Jane Goodall Institute. Are you interested in participating in Gainesville park cleanups, tree plantings, and promoting environmental awareness? The first meeting of the year is Wednesday, September 2 at 8:20pm in Turlington 2305. If you'd like to be kept in touch, you can join the group by searching for UF Roots and Shoots on Facebook or by sending an e-mail to [log in to unmask]

22.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: UF College Bowl:
UF College Bowl is an academic quiz bowl team that competes against other schools from all across the country. If you participated in quiz bowl, brain bowl or academic team in high school and wish to keep playing in college, come check us out.

We will be having a welcoming meeting Wednesday, September 2 starting at 6:30pm in room 355 of the Reitz Union. There will be free snacks and refreshments available.

Join us for a chance to play in tournaments and travel across the country. Everyone is welcome to join, no prior experience necessary. We also have meetings every Tuesday at the same time in the same location so don't let your schedule get in the way of seeing what we're all about. Please feel free to send an e-mail to [log in to unmask] if you have any questions.

23.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: FACES Modeling Troupe:
The largest modeling troupe on the east coast will be having a fall informational session. Come see if you have what it takes to be a part of the troupe. The session is September 2 at 6:30pm at Pugh Hall. Positions are open for fashion team members, public relations staff, and runway models. FACES...not just a show a lifestyle.

24.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Theta Tau Engineering Fraternity:
Theta Tau differs from other organizations. It combines the desirable features of general fraternities, technical societies, and honor societies to prepare its student members for the engineering profession.

The purpose of Theta Tau is to develop and maintain a high standard of professional interest among its members, and to unite them in a strong bond of fraternal fellowship. In addition to the desirable attributes of a general fraternity, it offers a common bond: an interest in and pursuance of engineering in its various branches. Founded in 1904, we are the largest and oldest professional co-ed engineering fraternity in the nation and encompass all disciplines of engineering.

Come see what we're all about! Check us the upcoming info sessions and events at  http://www.ufthetatau.org/ or http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=98732251783

25.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Florida Crew Recruitment (TODAY):
There will be informational meetings on Monday, August 31 at 7:00pm in Reitz 286; Tuesday, September 1 at 9:00pm in Reitz 361; and Wednesday, September 2 at 9:30pm in Reitz 362 for anyone interested in becoming a part of the UF Rowing team. No experience is necessary!

This event is open to all UF students and staff, so come out and become a part of one of the largest and most successful Sports Clubs on campus! Races take place in both the Fall and Spring semesters; you will have the opportunity to compete with other schools in state and around the country.

Check out our website at www.ufcrew.com

26.     EVENT: Out-of-State and International Student Welcome Reception (NEW POSTING):
Campus Diplomats invites all freshmen out-of-state and international students to our annual Welcome to the Sunshine State Reception!  Join us Thursday, September 3 at 6:00pm at the Reitz Union Amphitheatre for a night of fun, free food and games!

Welcome to the Sunshine State will help you with the transition to UF, the state of Florida, and best of all help you meet other out-of-state and international students! The evening will consist of free Dominos pizza and TCBY frozen yogurt, free bowling and billiards, and best of all, new friends! Find our event on Facebook, search for Welcome to the Sunshine State.

27.     EVENT: Alternative Transportation Fair (TODAY):
Gators looking for an easier way to get around that's better for the planet are in luck. UF is hosting an Alternative Transportation Fair on Tuesday, September 1 at the Reitz Student Union North Lawn.

The fair will run from 9:00am through 2:00pm and will feature many local organizations and campus clubs. Organizations will provide information, services, and demonstrations. Students can learn more about cycling on campus, bus transportation opportunities, and can enroll on site for this year's One Less Car Challenge. A ZipCar will also be on display so visitors can learn about on campus ride-sharing opportunities. Students are encouraged to stop by the North Lawn between classes and learn how to take advantage of all the alternative transportation options Gainesville has to offer.

You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html