Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Sep 2009 09:39:52 -0400

text/plain

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range from those for freshmen to seniors. To submit an announcement for posting, please fill out the online form at www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html . For more updates on the Honors Program, join our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter @UFHonors

Table of Contents

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Degree Audit Workshop:
2.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Fall Walk-in Advising Hours:
3.      ANNOUNCEMENT: Survey on Study Abroad, Research, and Internship Experiences:
4.      SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: Gates Cambridge Webinar:
STUDENT HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
5.      ANNOUNCEMENT: Fall Office Hours (NEW POSTING):
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
6.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: WCBA Business Bash (TODAY):
7.      STUDY ABROAD: Thanksgiving in Munich Info Session (NEW POSTING, TODAY):
8.      VOLUNTEER: Game Day Recycling Volunteer Opportunity (NEW POSTING):
9.      VOLUNTEER: Volunteer Application for Small Business Consulting:
10.     LEADERSHIP: Student Honor Court Vice Chancellor Applications (NEW POSTING):
11.     LEADERSHIP: Reitz Union Board Applications (NEW POSTING):
12.     LEADERSHIP: Gator Student Investment Fund Applications (NEW POSTING):
13.     LEADERSHIP: Assistant Director Applications for Gators March for Babies:
STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS
14.     ANNOUNCEMENT: UF Sitcom Premier (NEW POSTING):
15.     ANNOUNCEMENT: TRiP Sign-ups (TODAY):
16.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: College Democrats (NEW POSTING):
17.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Phi Sigma Rho For Engineering Women (NEW POSTING):
18.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Society of Physics Students (TODAY):
19.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Student Finance Group:
20.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Heal the World:
21.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: American Medical Student Association Registration:
22.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: UF Paintball Team (TODAY):
23.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Universities Allied for Essential Medicines (TODAY):
24.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Roots & Shoots Environmental Club (TODAY):
25.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: UF College Bowl (TODAY):
26.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: FACES Modeling Troupe (TODAY):
27.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Florida Crew Recruitment (TODAY):
28.     EVENT: Community Potluck (NEW POSTING):
29.     EVENT: Out-of-State and International Student Welcome Reception:

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Degree Audit Workshop:
Wondering how to find out what gen ed courses you are still missing? Want to know how to find your tracking requirements? Interested in looking at requirements for other majors or minors? Come to a degree audit workshop! Melissa will teach you all you need to know about reading your degree audits during two workshops next Wednesday, September 9 during 4th period or 9th period in 119 Hume. Geared especially for first-year students. Seating is limited, so please e-mail Melissa at [log in to unmask] to register. Include the period of the workshop you plan to attend. You will need to bring a copy of your degree audit from ISIS as a reference.

2.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Fall Walk-in Advising Hours:
Starting on Tuesday, the Honors Program will have walk-in advising hours from 2:00 to 4:00pm, Tuesday through Thursday throughout the Fall 2009 semester in 118 Hume.

Advisor schedule:
Tuesdays: John.
Wednesdays: Regan.
Thursdays: Melissa.

Walk-in advising meetings typically run for 5-10 minutes and are, therefore, most useful for quick academic questions. Students are still welcome to arrange advising sessions by appointment by calling 352-846-6083.

3.      ANNOUNCEMENT: Survey on Study Abroad, Research, and Internship Experiences:
The Honors Program is collecting information about the study abroad, research, and internship experiences of our students. If you have participated in at least one of those activities at any time during your undergraduate career, please complete the information below.

In addition, if you'd like to share your experiences with the Honors Professional Development courses for freshmen, please indicate so at the bottom of the survey. An instructor will contact you to make further arrangements.

Survey link: http://tinyurl.com/lgb2vq

4.      SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: Gates Cambridge Webinar:
The Gates Cambridge community would like to invite all interested students to participate in a "webinar" information session on the Gates Cambridge Scholarship on September 10 at 4:00pm. This webinar is intended to provide an introduction to Cambridge University, the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, the application process, and allow for any questions and follow-up for those interested in applying.

Registration for this conference is free and open to everyone. Registration details can be found at www.gatesscholar.org/coffeehouse

The Gates Scholarship is an educational program developed by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation that brings gifted students to Cambridge University for graduate study. Selection of Gates Scholars is driven by the values of the Gates Foundation, and on the basis of a person's intellectual ability, leadership capacity and desire to use their knowledge to contribute to society throughout the world.

STUDENT HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

5.      ANNOUNCEMENT: Fall Office Hours (NEW POSTING):
SHO is holding the following office hours this semester:

Sierra, President: T,R 12:50-1:50pm.
Adam, Vice President: M 12:30-2:30pm.
Kaitlin, Treasurer: M,R 3:15-4:15pm.
Raksha, Residential Chancellor: W 11:00am-1:00pm.
Amy, Business Manager: T 10:40am-12:40pm.
Lee, Secretary: T 2:30-4:30pm.

Please drop by and pay us a visit! Office hours are held in the SHO Office, which is located inside Hume Commons.

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

6.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: WCBA Business Bash (TODAY):
The WCBA Business Bash introduces students to all aspects of the business college, including student organizations, a representation of different majors, combined degree advisers, study abroad personnel, prestigious university programs, and more. It will be held on Wednesday, September 2 from 5:00-7:00pm in the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom. There's not a better time to gain your competitive advantage and network with student leaders than at the 2009 BACC Business Bash. Free catered food will be included for all who arrive at 5:00pm. Please visit the Business College Council website, http://www.ufbacc.org, for further information.

7.      STUDY ABROAD: Thanksgiving in Munich Info Session (NEW POSTING, TODAY):
Please note the information session today, September 2 for the UF in Munich program at 5:00pm in 208 Flint Hall (at which point we'll find a suitable, empty classroom downstairs). The Thanksgiving program in Munich is now in its 5th year, and the ten-day study-abroad course counts for two credits, also satisfying the H and I requirement. More details are available from Dr. Giles at http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/ggiles/

The course fee of $1,400 includes field trips to the fairytale castle of Neuschwanstein in the Bavarian Alps (where last year we had a major snowball fight!), the Christmas market at Salzburg in Austria, the museum at the Nazis' Nuremberg Rally grounds, a behind-the-scenes tours at the Dachau concentration camp, and a welcome dinner at the Hofbrauhaus cellar.

The deadline to apply is September 15th, so students do need to act swiftly.

8.      VOLUNTEER: Game Day Recycling Volunteer Opportunity (NEW POSTING):
The Gator Green Team Home Game Recycling Program is gearing up for another exciting season of Gator football. Come between noon and 8:00pm to enjoy the tailgating atmosphere before the game while helping UF reduce its environmental impact. You can even earn money for the club of your choice. Join the Facebook group, Gator Green Team, or e-mail [log in to unmask] to get more information and sign up for a shift.

9.      VOLUNTEER: Volunteer Application for Small Business Consulting:
SIFE's Small Business Consulting Program has started! SBC has been assisting local business owners since 2001, helping them develop business and marketing plans and providing them with a variety of other services. Typically, we form teams of 5-7 students from a range of educational backgrounds (finance, marketing, accounting, etc.). Each team will have a captain who has worked with SBC before and will act as the liaison with the business. Depending on the entrepreneur, teams will produce business plans, marketing plans, or other services for start-ups and/or businesses hoping to reduce costs, increase revenues, and enter new markets. This year, we have 9 companies from a variety of industries that are excited to work with SIFE.

If you are interested, please see our website for an application at http://www.ufsife.com/business-consulting.html . Applications will be due by Friday, September 11 at 5:00pm. This project depends on volunteers like you, and your participation goes a long way in helping out local entrepreneurs, even changing their lives! I was a captain for one of the teams last year, and it was truly an amazing experience. Let me emphasize that you all have something to contribute to these teams, so don't be nervous about being "qualified" enough. Please e-mail Daniel Perlman at [log in to unmask] with any questions or concerns.

10.     LEADERSHIP: Student Honor Court Vice Chancellor Applications (NEW POSTING):
Student Honor Court is now accepting applications for vice chancellor. Vice chancellor is a major leadership position; applicants should be willing to assist the Honor Court Chancellor in presiding over student conduct committee hearings, proctoring exams, promoting Honor Code awareness, and working with UF applicants with academic dishonesty records.

Only juniors and seniors (by residency, not credit hour) may apply. Applications are due Friday, September 4 at 4:00pm to the student government office or e-mailed to [log in to unmask]

http://sg.ufl.edu/ViceChancellorApplication.pdf

11.     LEADERSHIP: Reitz Union Board Applications (NEW POSTING):
Interested in joining RUB Entertainment, the student organization that brings you cool bands, the best movies, hilarious comedians and awesome events, all for free?  Reitz Union Board Entertainment is now accepting applications!  Pick up yours in Reitz Union room 312, or print one from our website! All years and majors are welcome. Applications are due this Friday, September 4.

Visit http://www.union.ufl.edu/rub to learn more about RUB and the great free events coming up this semester!

12.     LEADERSHIP: Gator Student Investment Fund Applications (NEW POSTING):
The University of Florida's student-managed investment fund is in search of talented students to fill sector analyst positions for the inaugural semester of the Gator Student Investment Fund. We are seeking highly motivated individuals who have a strong interest in investing real money in the financial markets. Students will have the opportunity to participate in real world stock analysis and investing.

Applications are now available in STZ 321, all majors are invited to apply. Applications are due September 8 in STZ 321. Please direct any questions or concerns to [log in to unmask]

13.     LEADERSHIP: Assistant Director Applications for Gators March for Babies:
The March of Dimes Collegiate Council is looking for driven and passionate individuals interested in helping with the largest and most successful collegiate event for March of Dimes nationwide. Gators March for Babies (formerly Gatorwalk) will take place on Sunday, November 8. Currently, we are recruiting for assistant director applications to help out with the event that raises awareness and funds for premature birth. Act now, spots are filling up quickly!

Applications can be found at www.gatorsmarchforbabies.org or you can e-mail [log in to unmask] Applications are due Thursday, September 9.

STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS

14.     ANNOUNCEMENT: UF Sitcom Premier (NEW POSTING):
Theatre Strike Force, in conjunction will IRHA, will air the first episode of its college-based sitcom, "Oppie's Friend Gene", this Friday at 8:30pm on channel 8.  The show is made for students by students, and will only be aired on campus!

Busy at that time?  It will also air Sunday and Tuesday at 8:30pm!

15.     ANNOUNCEMENT: TRiP Sign-ups (TODAY):
If you want to escape Gainesville for a weekend (or just a day) we have the perfect excursion already planned for you and your friends! Check out the TRiP website at http://www.union.ufl.edu/trip/ for awesome backpacking, rock climbing, paddling, sailing, whitewater rafting, horseback riding, surfing and skiing opportunities (and more!).

Sign-ups are at 12:00pm on Wednesday, September 2 at the Outfitter in the Reitz Union (Ground floor). Try to get there early so you get your TRiP before it sells out!

16.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: College Democrats (NEW POSTING):
On Thursday, September 4 at 7:00pm, the UF College Democrats will have their first meeting of the semester. The meeting will take place in room 285A of Holland Hall (which is located at the Law School). For more information, e-mail [log in to unmask]

17.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Phi Sigma Rho For Engineering Women (NEW POSTING):
Fall recruitment is here! Come out and enjoy Phi Sigma Rho's Rush and Experience the World!

Thursday, September 3:  Information Night in the Reitz Union 361 at 7:00pm. For additional recruitment events, visit the website.

If you have any additional questions please e-mail Tamara Smith, at [log in to unmask] or check out our website at http://grove.ufl.edu/~phirho

18.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Society of Physics Students (TODAY):
Are you a Physics Major or Minor? Or perhaps you just like physics? Want to discover what it means to be a physics student, learn how to become a member of SPS, or unearth all the great things we've got planned for the year ahead?

Come to our first meeting of the year! We will be meeting Wednesday, September 2, at 8:00pm in NPB 2205. You might even get to see what happens when a person drinks liquid nitrogen and have a taste yourself! Also come to savor in the pizza and refreshments and make and eat ice cream made from liquid nitrogen!

For more information, please e-mail us at [log in to unmask]

19.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Student Finance Group:
Student Finance Group is hosting Capital One at our first meeting of the semester! SFG will have its first general meeting on Thursday, September 3 starting at 6:15pm in Turlington L005. Capital One will be accepting resumes for its Finance Rotation Program. This is a great opportunity to talk one-on-one with recruiters and hand them a resume! Come join us for free pizza at the end of the meeting and meet some new business majors! We will also be attending Business Bash on September 2 from 5:00-7:00pm in the Reitz Rion Ballroom. We invite you to say "Hello!" to the officers and see what the group is about! Come sign up for our Listserv and enjoy the free food and drinks!

20.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Heal the World:
Come Heal the World. Start this semester right by coming to Heal the World's first general body meeting Thursday, September 3 at 7:00pm in CSE E121. Find out what Heal the World is all about and what our plans are for the year including: international service trips, ongoing service activities, special event service activities, fall intramurals, and more. For more information, visit
http://grove.ufl.edu/~heal

21.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: American Medical Student Association Registration:
Are you a freshman eager to join the medical field and full of questions about the process? Or are you just looking to get involved and further your education beyond the classroom, while meeting other Pre-Meds like you? Then join AMSA. Registration is now open and lasts until September 18. The application and additional information about our organization can be found at www.ufpremed.org

22.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: UF Paintball Team (TODAY):
The UF paintball team is having the first meeting of the year in Reitz Union room 285 on Wednesday, September 2 at 8:00pm. The team competes in the National Collegiate Paintball Association against many other schools such as Georgia, Texas, Michigan, UCal and placed 17th in the nation last season. Please visit our website at www.ufpaintball.org

23.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Universities Allied for Essential Medicines (TODAY):
Interested in global/public health policy? Are you pre-health, pre-law, journalism, poli sci, economics major? We have a place for you! Learn how you can help in the fight to make essential medicines available to people who need them most!

New member informational meeting in Hume general meeting room area on Wednesday, September 2 at 7:00pm! Visit: www.essentialmedicine.org

24.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Roots & Shoots Environmental Club (TODAY):
Roots & Shoots is a student run environmental club part of the Jane Goodall Institute. Are you interested in participating in Gainesville park cleanups, tree plantings, and promoting environmental awareness? The first meeting of the year is Wednesday, September 2 at 8:20pm in Turlington 2305. If you'd like to be kept in touch, you can join the group by searching for UF Roots and Shoots on Facebook or by sending an e-mail to [log in to unmask]

25.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: UF College Bowl (TODAY):
UF College Bowl is an academic quiz bowl team that competes against other schools from all across the country. If you participated in quiz bowl, brain bowl or academic team in high school and wish to keep playing in college, come check us out.

We will be having a welcoming meeting Wednesday, September 2 starting at 6:30pm in room 355 of the Reitz Union. There will be free snacks and refreshments available.

Join us for a chance to play in tournaments and travel across the country. Everyone is welcome to join, no prior experience necessary. We also have meetings every Tuesday at the same time in the same location so don't let your schedule get in the way of seeing what we're all about. Please feel free to send an e-mail to [log in to unmask] if you have any questions.

26.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: FACES Modeling Troupe (TODAY):
The largest modeling troupe on the east coast will be having a fall informational session. Come see if you have what it takes to be a part of the troupe. The session is September 2 at 6:30pm at Pugh Hall. Positions are open for fashion team members, public relations staff, and runway models. FACES...not just a show a lifestyle.

27.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Florida Crew Recruitment (TODAY):
There will be informational meetings on Monday, August 31 at 7:00pm in Reitz 286; Tuesday, September 1 at 9:00pm in Reitz 361; and Wednesday, September 2 at 9:30pm in Reitz 362 for anyone interested in becoming a part of the UF Rowing team. No experience is necessary!

This event is open to all UF students and staff, so come out and become a part of one of the largest and most successful Sports Clubs on campus! Races take place in both the Fall and Spring semesters; you will have the opportunity to compete with other schools in state and around the country.

Check out our website at www.ufcrew.com

28.     EVENT: Community Potluck (NEW POSTING):
Slow Food Gainesville is hosting Time For Lunch, a community potluck, this Labor Day, September 7, in order to discuss and gain support for changes to the Child Nutrition Act that will keep our school lunches healthier. In addition to the good eats, we'll be hosting speakers discussing the steps already being taken here in Gainesville to provide nutritional food to children in our community, as well as some activities for kids to enjoy.

Join us with a dish of your choice, large or small, and share a friendly meal with people in your community while discussing the food and health issues that affect us and our children. The potluck will be held at the Alachua County Extension Office (2800 NE 39th Ave), with doors opening at 5:00pm, followed by dinner and activities until our speakers begin at 6:00pm.

29.     EVENT: Out-of-State and International Student Welcome Reception:
Campus Diplomats invites all freshmen out-of-state and international students to our annual Welcome to the Sunshine State Reception!  Join us Thursday, September 3 at 6:00pm at the Reitz Union Amphitheatre for a night of fun, free food and games!

Welcome to the Sunshine State will help you with the transition to UF, the state of Florida, and best of all help you meet other out-of-state and international students! The evening will consist of free Dominos pizza and TCBY frozen yogurt, free bowling and billiards, and best of all, new friends! Find our event on Facebook, search for Welcome to the Sunshine State.

You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html