Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:22:15 -0400

text/plain

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range from those for freshmen to seniors. To submit an announcement for posting, please fill out the online form at www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html . For more updates on the Honors Program, join our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter @UFHonors

Table of Contents

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.      ANNOUNCEMENT: Dine and Chat:
2.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: S-U Option Deadline:
STUDENT HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
3.      ANNOUNCEMENT: 2009-2010 SHO Executive Board:
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
4.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Mock Law School Admissions Committee Meeting:
5.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: "Hungary: Twenty Years after the Regime-Change, Five Years after EU Accession" (TODAY):
6.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Gainesville Tour:
7.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Peace Corps Education GlobeTalk (TODAY):
8.      VOLUNTEER: UF Habitat (NEW POSTING, TODAY):
9.      VOLUNTEER: Opportunities through Department of Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Affairs (NEW POSTING):
10.     VOLUNTEER: Lion's Club (NEW POSTING):
11.     LEADERSHIP: Omicron Delta Kappa Applications National Leadership Honorary (NEW POSTING):
12.     LEADERSHIP: Freshmen Leadership Engineering Group (TODAY):
13.     LEADERSHIP: Florida Blue Key Speaker's Bureau Staff Applications:
STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS
14.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: MANRRS (NEW POSTING, TODAY):
15.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Gator Smiles (TODAY):
16.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Ad Society (TODAY):
17.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Student Investment Club:
18.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Students Against Losing Education:
19.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Golden Key International Honour Society (TODAY):
20.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Undergraduate Astrophysics Society (TODAY):
21.     EVENT: RUB Entertainment Karaoke (NEW POSTING):
22.     EVENT: Darius at UF:

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.      ANNOUNCEMENT: Dine and Chat:
The Honors Program is instituting a new monthly event for students. Dine and Chat is an opportunity for 12 students to have dinner with a UF faculty member and engage in conversation about academics, culture, and anything else that comes up. Each month's professor has the option to set a topic in advance, and perhaps even suggest some background reading, to get the banter going. Here are the details for the inaugural event:

Dr. Kevin Knudson, Director, University Honors Program, and Professor of Mathematics.
Wednesday, September 23, at 6:30pm.
Location to be determined.
Topic:  The Future of Honors at UF.

So, by now you're wondering how you get in on this. Come by the Honors office in 118 Hume Hall and put your name into the bowl (ask the staff at the front desk). Twelve names will be drawn from the bowl on Friday, September 18 at 3:00pm. You must put your e-mail address on your slip of paper so that we may contact you if your name is chosen. The dinner venue will be announced at that time.

2.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: S-U Option Deadline:
The deadline to request an S-U option for classes is this Friday, September 11 at 5:00pm. Subject to college degree program and department guidelines, students may take elective course work and earn grades of S (Satisfactory) or U (Unsatisfactory). A grade of S is equal to a C or better. Grades earned under the S-U option do not carry grade point values and are not computed in the University of Florida grade point average. Such grades are included in a student's permanent academic record and are reflected on the transcript. Once the S-U option is approved, students cannot revert to a letter grade.

Students choosing the S-U option must be in good standing and cannot be on university academic probation. To elect the S-U option, students must obtain the approvals indicated on the form. They can elect the S-U option for only one course each term; this option is in addition to courses that are taught only on an S-U basis. Courses taken to fulfill general education, writing and math (Gordon Rule), major and minor requirements cannot be taken S-U. The S-U option most commonly is used for foreign language courses.

To request the S-U option, pick up the form from the Registrar's Office in Criser Hall. According to the form, you will need to get approval from your college, department, and instructor, so plan ahead if you would like to choose this option for a course.

STUDENT HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

3.      ANNOUNCEMENT: 2009-2010 SHO Executive Board:
Congratulations to the 26 individuals chosen to serve on the 2009-2010 SHO Executive Board:

Ruth Acevedo. Joshua Achiam. Jordan Andreu. William Baumler. Tyler Benjamin. Maddie Bottenhorn. Sean Fahy. Ann Hentschel. Kathy Keeter. Hema Kher. Sarvenaz Laussermair. Cory Lee. Reagan Lee. Liz McNeill. Jenni Potter. Jarryd Reed. Stephy Salazar. Virginia Somers. Jacob Speedy. Amber Suleskey. Lerah Sutton. John Thibeault. Jennifer Traylor. Emily Warnock. Jessica Watkins. Tali Yohann.

Thanks, once again, to all of those who applied. We are overwhelmed by your demonstration of interest and support and cannot thank you enough. We look forward to seeing you at SHO events throughout the year!

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

4.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Mock Law School Admissions Committee Meeting:
Join us for a mock law school admission committee meeting where you will be given a chance to see what it would be like to serve on a law school admissions committee. You will review files of actual law school applicants, considering all aspects of the file (LSAT, GPA, letters of recommendation, personal statements, and other support documents included in a real admissions file). The discussion will be led, as it would be in an actual admission committee meeting, by two seasoned admission professionals, Associate Dean Michelle Rahman from the University of Richmond School of Law and Associate Dean John Benfield from the Charleston School of Law. At the conclusion of deliberations an offer of admission will be determined by the committee. The program is participatory and entertaining. Pizza will be provided.

Mock Law School Admissions Committee Meeting is taking place on Monday, September 14 from 5:15-6:45pm in room 200 CLAS Academic Advising Center (Farrior Hall). *RSVP required* - send to [log in to unmask]

5.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: "Hungary: Twenty Years after the Regime-Change, Five Years after EU Accession" (TODAY):
Talk by István Hegeds, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary. Part of the Center for European Studies series "From the Iron Curtain to the EU: 20 Years after 1989."

On Wednesday, September 9 at 7:00pm in Pugh Hall Ocora. Free and open to the public. For more information, call (352) 392-8902.

6.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Gainesville Tour:
Do you want to gain experience in your concentration? Do you want an opportunity for a rewarding internship? Would you like to achieve this through giving back to your community? Service Ambassadors is hosting a free tour of Gainesville's organizations that want YOU to help! Meet us outside Peabody Hall at noon on Thursday, September 10 to discover where you can be of help in your town while gaining experience for your major. Space is limited; register as soon as possible by contacting Carol at [log in to unmask]

7.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Peace Corps Education GlobeTalk (TODAY):
Do you have a desire to help others around the world? Do you think teaching is one of the ways you can contribute? Think Peace Corps!

Learn what it is like to teach in another country and help shape young lives at our Education GlobeTalk.

It will be held Wednesday, September 9 from 6:30-7:30pm at the Hub's International Center.

E-mail Amy Panikowski at [log in to unmask] for more information.

8.      VOLUNTEER: UF Habitat (NEW POSTING, TODAY):
The first UF Habitat meeting of the year is on Wednesday, September 9 at 8:20pm in RNK 110.

At this meeting we will sign up for the first builds and discuss all of the exciting fundraisers, socials, and educational events scheduled for the year. Visit www.ufhabitat.org for more information.

Feel free to invite friends interested in joining Habitat!

9.      VOLUNTEER: Opportunities through Department of Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Affairs (NEW POSTING):
The City of Gainesville's Department of Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Affairs has started using www.sweatmonkey.com to post opportunities and recruit volunteers. The website also allows individuals to find opportunities, contact the organization, and track their hours. We hope that it will be a great way to connect with service clubs and organizations in the community.

Go to the website and search Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Affairs, and you will find us! Upcoming opportunities include: the Fall Native Plant Sale and Living History Days. We will constantly be adding postings.

10.     VOLUNTEER: Lion's Club (NEW POSTING):
The Lion's Club is the world's largest service club organization. We work primarily with the visually impaired.

The Gator Lion's club meets once a month in the Reitz Union. In the spring, our big event is Mindsight, an art gallery for the visually impaired at the Harn Museum, with blindfolds to allow the sighted community a different perspective on the world of art.

A fall event at the Butterfly Rainforest is in the works, but our primary object this fall is club growth. We are a small club, and as such you have an opportunity to become a major figure in a campus club with strong international roots.

If you have any questions, stop by our booth at the IDEAL Club Fair in the Reitz Union Colonnade this Thursday or e-mail [log in to unmask] Our next meeting is this Sunday, September 13 in the Reitz Union Room 272 at 6:00pm.

11.     LEADERSHIP: Omicron Delta Kappa Applications National Leadership Honorary (NEW POSTING):
Are you an active student leader? Are you ready to further your leadership skills? Do you want to network with other student leaders on campus?

The prestigious national leadership honor society Omicron Delta Kappa is now accepting applicants for its Fall 2009 new member class! To find out more information visit www.ufodk.com or come to our info meeting on Thursday, September 10 at 6:00pm in Reitz Union room B74/75. We are also hosting a casual Meet and Greet at Ben & Jerry's on September 17 at 7:0pm.

Applications are available at www.ufodk.com and are due by 11:59pm on Wednesday, September 23. Please contact Raihan Duzan at [log in to unmask] with any questions.

12.     LEADERSHIP: Freshmen Leadership Engineering Group (TODAY):
The Freshmen Leadership Engineering Group (FLEG) will begin recruitment on Wednesday, September 9 and will last through Monday, September 14. To be eligible, freshmen must attend 3 out of the following 5 events as well as fill out an application that they will learn more about at an event.

Wednesday- Meet and Greet at Moe's/Chili's on campus (7:30-9:00pm).
Thursday- Scavenger Hunt starting at the French Fries by Marston (6:00-8:00pm).
Friday- Lunch at Reitz (11:45am-1:45pm).
Sunday- Bowling at Reitz (3:45-6:00pm).
Monday- Formal Meet and Greet at Graham Gallery (7:30-9:00pm).

FLEG focuses on freshmen leadership, career development, and retention in the engineering college while making friends and having fun.

13.     LEADERSHIP: Florida Blue Key Speaker's Bureau Staff Applications:
The Florida Blue Key Speech and Debate Tournament is looking for dedicated staff members to help work one of the most prestigious speech and debate tournaments in the country. The tournament, which takes place October 30 to November 1, needs hard-working individuals looking to make an impact. If you are interested in this opportunity, pick up a staff application in the Blue Key office in room 384 of the Reitz Union. If you have any questions contact the Director of Recruitment, Megan Howard, at [log in to unmask]

STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS

14.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: MANRRS (NEW POSTING, TODAY):
Are you interested in obtaining a leadership position? How about gaining opportunities for internships? Would you enjoy travelling the country to meet other minority students? Then you might be interested in joining MANRRS (Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Related Sciences), open to all majors.

Our meeting will be held today at 5:30pm in room 362 of the Food Science and Human Nutrition building. Refreshments will be served.

15.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Gator Smiles (TODAY):
Gator Smiles is a service club that supports UF and Shands craniofacial clinics and raises money for Love Without Boundaries, an organization which provides underprivileged orphan children with cleft lip/palate surgeries. Our first fall meeting is Wednesday, September 9 at 7:00pm in Little Room 113. We have a ton of fun planning fundraisers and other events to support these children. Check out our website at www.gatorsmiles.com

16.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Ad Society (TODAY):
College is all about networking, so why not start now? Come join the best club on campus as we start the year with our first meeting.  It will be on Wednesday, September 9 at 6:30pm in CSE A101. Free food will be available after the meeting! Visit http://grove.ufl.edu/~adsoc for more info.

17.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Student Investment Club:
The UF Student Investment Club (SIC) is designed to sharpen students' knowledge of investing for personal finance as well as professional goals. SIC provides many opportunities:

- Investment Challenge- What can you do with $100k? Use your investment knowledge to double the sum in a mock portfolio. Winners will receive cash prizes!

- Learn Presentation skills- Hone in on your public speaking skills! If you have a passionate interest in an area of the market, you can present your ideas to the club or the weekly "market update".

- Career/Resume advice- You will be networking with business students who have connections to companies such as Goldman Sachs, Barclays Capital, Bloomberg, Northwestern Mutual, and others.

- Free pizza every meeting!

Student Investment Club meets every Thursday at 7:00pm at McCarty C 100. E-mail [log in to unmask] to join the listserv and learn more about our exciting opportunities!

For more information, visit www.ufsic.com

18.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Students Against Losing Education:
Students Against Losing Education (SALE) will be holding its first meeting of the fall semester and is looking for new members! SALE is an organization driven to helping tutor people and achieve their dreams! Opportunities include tutoring at the Santa Fe Community College Adult Education Program, Alachua County Public Schools, and more! The meeting is on Thursday, September 10 at 5:00pm in Anderson Hall Room 19. Forms for the programs will be available for you to fill out. If you have questions, please e-mail [log in to unmask]

19.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Golden Key International Honour Society (TODAY):
Golden Key is an honor society that inducts the top 15% of UF's students each semester. Our first general meeting will be on Wednesday, September 9, at 7:00pm in New Physics Building (NPB) 1002. Even if you're just curious about what GK is - come on out! There will be free pizza along with tons of information on exciting Golden Key things to come, so get ready to meet new people and have some fun!

If you have any questions, you can e-mail Sara at [log in to unmask] or Angela at [log in to unmask]

20.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Undergraduate Astrophysics Society (TODAY):
Our Undergraduate Astrophysics Society assembles in the near future - and we are inviting your participation.  UAS is having its first meeting this semester on Wednesday, September 9 at 7:00pm. As always, we will gather in Room 7 of the Bryant Space Science Center (across from the HUB).

Our first meeting will be a concise blast:
 (1) An introduction of UAS
 (2) A slide-show of past activities
 (3) A short astronomy video
 (4) and a discussion of our future

21.     EVENT: RUB Entertainment Karaoke (NEW POSTING):
Come and sing the hits this Thursday, September 10 in the Orange and Brew at 8:00pm!  Free and open to the public--bring your friends!

For more awesome events like these, check out RUB Entertainment on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, @RUBEntertain, or visit our Web site, http://union.ufl.edu/rub

22.     EVENT: Darius at UF:
The UF College of Public Health and Health Professions invites you to attend Darius At UF on Thursday, September 10. There will be a screening of the decorated, must-see "Darius Goes West" movie and talk with Darius Weems and crew!

The event begins at 7:00pm at UF Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. It is free and open to the public. For more about this event, please visit www.phhp.ufl.edu/announcements/darius/

You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html