Honors Daily Opportunities List

"Denny,John P" <[log in to unmask]>

Denny,John P

Tue, 20 Jan 2009 16:20:50 -0500

text/plain

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range from those for freshmen to seniors. To submit an announcement for posting, please fill out the online form at www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html

Table of Contents

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Spring Walk-in Advising Hours:
HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
2.      ANNOUNCEMENT:  SHO Yoga: (NEW POSTING)
3.      ANNOUNCEMENT: SHO Rock Band Competition: (TODAY)
4.      LEADERSHIP: Honors Ambassadors Application Available:
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
5.      RESEARCH: Herpes lab looking for undergraduate researcher: (NEW POSTING)
6.      RESEARCH: UF-HHMI GATOR Undergraduate Research Fellowships: (NEW POSTING)
7.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: NaviGators Australia Country Presentation: (NEW POSTING):
8.      STUDY ABROAD: UF in Utrect Informational Meeting:
9.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Journal of Young Investigators:
10.     LEADERSHIP: RA/RCA Applications for 2009-2010:
EVENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
11.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Psychology Club / Psi Chi Honor Society (NEW POSTING)
12.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgil Hawkins Pre-Law Society: (NEW POSTING)
13.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Vox Meet and Greet (NEW POSTING)
14.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Join College DECA: (NEW POSTING)
15.     ANNOUNCEMENT: Sixth Annual 3K/5K Take Back the Night Safety Walk/Run: (NEW POSTING, TODAY)
16.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: UF Health Law Forum (NEW POSTING, TODAY):
17.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Sociology Club Meeting (NEW POSTING, TODAY)
18.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Gators for HIV Education Membership Applications: (NEW POSTING)
19.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Student Finance Group First Meeting (NEW POSTING)
20.     ANNOUNCEMENT:  Writing on the Wall Project Tabling:
21.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: AMSA Applications:
22.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Aerial Dance Club's First Meeting:
23.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Phi Sigma Pi National Co-ed Honor Fraternity (TODAY):

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.      ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: Spring Walk-in Advising Hours:
Starting on Tuesday, the Honors Program will have walk-in advising hours from 2:00 to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday throughout the Spring 2009 semester in 118 Hume. Students are still welcome to arrange advising sessions by appointment by calling 352-392-1519.

HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

2.      ANNOUNCEMENT:  SHO Yoga: (NEW POSTING)
College can be an extremely stressful time, so why not unwind by doing some Yoga? This ancient art hones both your physical and mental abilities. SHO will be having a professional Yoga instructor on site to provide all the guidance you would need. If you've always been curious about yoga but never have given it a chance, now's the perfect opportunity to try! Bringing your own yoga mat is encouraged but not necessary.  When: Thursday, January 22 6:30-7:30pm
Where: Hume Commons

3.      ANNOUNCEMENT: SHO Rock Band Competition: (TODAY)
Got mad Rock Band skills? Think your group can top them all? PROVE IT! What: Rock Band Competition Where: Hume Commons When: January 20th from 8:00-10:00 PM

**Each member of the winning team gets a Ben & Jerry's gift card, so bring your A game!**

4.      LEADERSHIP: Honors Ambassadors Application Available:
If you're interested in joining Honors Ambassadors, the application is now available: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dcccv8gp_143hdfz2wdb

Honors Ambassadors is close-knit organization that works to show the University of Florida to prospective students and to plan events to support the whole Honors community. If you have any questions, please e-mail Allyson at [log in to unmask] For more information, visit www.honors.ufl.edu

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

5.      RESEARCH: Herpes lab looking for undergraduate researcher: (NEW POSTING)
The Bloom lab is seeking a motivated, intelligent science student to join the lab. The Bloom lab studies Herpes Simplex Virus Type One which is responsible for cold sores in humans. We are particularly interested in the genetic mechanisms of latency and reactivation (aka: what goes on when the virus isn't producing cold sores and what happens when it decides to). This position can be used for research credit and research scholarships. Those interested please contact Dr. Nicole Giordani and provide a personal statement that lists reasons for wanting to do research and a resume detailing your previous science courses and other relevant experiences. Two semesters of college-level biology and a bio lab course is required.
Dr. Nicole Giordani: [log in to unmask]

6.      RESEARCH: UF-HHMI GATOR Undergraduate Research Fellowships: (NEW POSTING)
UF-HHMI GATOR undergraduate research fellowships (http://www.zoology.ufl.edu/HHMI/undergraduate.html) provide an opportunity for undergraduates in their sophomore or junior year to participate in original research under the guidance of graduate student mentors and faculty advisors.  The program is intended to prepare undergraduates for graduate school in the life sciences.  Before applying, undergraduate applicants should contact potential graduate mentors to meet them and learn about their research.  A list of 2009-2010 graduate mentors and their projects is available at http://www.zoology.ufl.edu/HHMI/projects%202009.html.

For information on this one year program, $2500 summer stipends, and applications, please see http://www.zoology.ufl.edu/HHMI/ Applications and letters of recommendation are due February 20, 2009.
For questions, please contact Dr. Thea Edwards ([log in to unmask]).

7.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: NaviGators Australia Country Presentation: (NEW POSTING):
The NaviGators International Program at UF is exited to invite you to our Australia Country Presentation on Thursday, January 22, at 7pm in Norman Hall Terrace Room.

Come join us glimpse into the lives of the Australians lives at UF and their presentation of Australia, and sample some authentic Aussie Food. Check out our Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/event.php?eid=44969676607&ref=ts

For more information about the NaviGators go to http://grove.ufl.edu/~navintl/index.html or view our Facebook group Spring 2009 NaviGators

8.      STUDY ABROAD: UF in Utrect Informational Meeting:
Looking for a cool way to avoid a scorching Florida summer, and instead find yourself in the heart of Europe while earning credits? Come join Dr. Sharon DiFino on the Utrecht, 2009 Summer B program.

UF in Utrecht is one of UF's most affordable study abroad programs and is centrally located 25 minutes from Amsterdam.  All majors are welcome.

Informational meeting Wednesday, January 21st at 6:00pm in Dauer 365.  For more information contact Tessly at [log in to unmask]

9.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Journal of Young Investigators:
The Journal of Young Investigators (JYI) is an international peer-reviewed undergraduate research journal dedicated to improving the communication skills of future members of the scientific community. JYI is currently accepting high-quality submissions for its 2009 issues.

If you are interested in publishing at JYI, or would like more information, please visit www.jyi.org or contact Laura Fishwick at [log in to unmask]

10.     LEADERSHIP: RA/RCA Applications for 2009-2010:
The Department of Housing and Residence Life Education is currently seeking applicants for the position of Resident Assistant/Residential College Advisor for 2009-2010 academic year. RAs/RCAs serve as advisers to residents, build a community for their residents, enforce policies and regulations, exercise good judgment in possible crisis situations and are role models. Our staff members gain a sense of accomplishment, pride, self-worth and receive personal and professional growth opportunities. As an RA/RCA on our staff, you will help put the unity in community!

Some requirements include: have lived on campus at least 1 semester, be in good academic/disciplinary standing and have a 2.5 cumulative GPA.

Applications are available in the Housing Office (corner of 13th and Museum Road) or any residence hall area desk. For more information call 352-392-2171, ext. 10139, e-mail Christine [log in to unmask] or Kathy [log in to unmask] . Visit http://www.housing.ufl.edu/housing/reslife_main.html for information on info sessions, applications and position description.

EVENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

11.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Psychology Club / Psi Chi Honor Society (NEW POSTING)
UF's Psychology Club/Psi Chi Honor Society will convene its first General Body Meeting of the Spring Semester this Wednesday, January 21, at 7:20pm in the New Physics Building Room 1001.

In addition to discussing plans for this semester (including plans for SEPA), we will also have a guest speaker. Bruce Carroll is the co-founder of Florida Autism Connection, a program based here in Gainesville that endeavors to provide quality, research-based, developmentally appropriate interventions to families who are raising children with autism, Aspergers syndrome, PDD-NOS, and/or other related conditions.

We encourage all of our members to join us as we begin making plans for the semester!

12.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgil Hawkins Pre-Law Society: (NEW POSTING)
Are you interested in going to law school?  Then the Virgil Hawkins Pre-Law Society is the organization for you!  Our organization offers you the tools needed to get into law school and further your academic career.  We offer tools such as KAPLAN classes, a mock trial team, speakers from around the Gainesville law community, and much more.  You will be able to meet a diverse range of student's with similar goals and form a long lasting professional bond with your fellow students.  There are no requirements to joining VHPS and we welcome you all to come out check us out at our next general meeting this upcoming Wednesday (January 21) 5:30pm Reitz Union B74.

For more information, feel free to e-mail me at [log in to unmask] OR visit our website at http://grove.ufl.edu/~vhps

13.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Vox Meet and Greet (NEW POSTING)
Vox: Voices for Planned Parenthood cordially invites you to celebrate the 36th birthday of Roe v. Wade on Thursday, January 22 at 7:00pm in the Reitz Union room 276/277.  This celebration will be a great way to kick off the semester and get involved!

The fight for access to health care and rights is still an uphill one, and there is serious work to be done to rectify nearly a decade of bad policies, not just in the U.S., but around the world.  Come celebrate past success as well as find out how you can be a part of the fight for reproductive rights!

If you have any questions, please e-mail [log in to unmask]

14.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Join College DECA: (NEW POSTING)
Are you interested in entrepreneurship and leadership opportunities? Join College DECA and participate in case competitions with us in Orlando this semester!  This is a great way to enhance your resume, whether you are in the business school or not.  For more information, come to the first meeting of the Spring 09 semester on Thursday, January 22nd at 6:30pm in Stuzin 101. If you have any questions, email Alex at [log in to unmask]

15.     ANNOUNCEMENT: Sixth Annual 3K/5K Take Back the Night Safety Walk/Run: (NEW POSTING, TODAY)
There will be free food, t-shirts, raffles and prizes!

16.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: UF Health Law Forum (NEW POSTING, TODAY):
Phi Alpha Delta and AMSA are excited to bring you UF's Health Law Forum on Tuesday, January 20th at 7:00pm in Pugh Hall. We will be discussing the constantly evolving relationship between medicine and law. Anyone interested should join and listen to our panel consisting of a doctor, a malpractice lawyer, and an insurance lawyer. We urge you to bring any and all questions. This event is for both undergraduate and graduate students interested in either law or medicine, or both. Free food will be provided for all attending. A $200 Princeton Review coupon will also be given away (see organizers for details)!

17.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Sociology Club Meeting (NEW POSTING, TODAY)
Join us for the first Sociology Club meeting of the semester on Tuesday, January 20th at 6:00pm in TUR 2306.  Anyone is welcome and free food is provided!
This semester we will hear from faculty about their research, explore career opportunities, and participate in several local community service projects.
Email us ([log in to unmask]) or find us on Facebook ("Sociology Club at the University of Florida") for more information.

18.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Gators for HIV Education Membership Applications: (NEW POSTING)
Are you interested in HIV/AIDS issues? Public Health work? Community Health?
Or in serving your community? Gators for HIV Education (GHIVE) are recruiting new members! We are a student run organization with the mission of spreading awareness about HIV and AIDS in the University of Florida and Gainesville community. Members are formally trained to educate others about HIV/AIDS prevention. Members also have the chance to participate in meaningful HIV/AIDS related volunteer, educational, and leadership opportunities.
Meetings will be held on the last Tuesday of every month.

If you're interested in joining please visit http://grove.ufl.edu/~ghive/join.php<http://grove.ufl.edu/%7Eghive/join.php>and
fill out a quick membership registration form so we can tell you more about us! The registration form should be submitted as an attachment by midnight on Thursday, January 22nd 2009 to [log in to unmask]

19.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Student Finance Group First Meeting (NEW POSTING)
Come join the Student Finance Group for our first meeting of the semester. We focus on professional development by providing, networking, leadership, and community service opportunities. Free pizza served at general meetings.

When: 6:15pm, Thursday, January 22nd
Where: FLI 50

Visit sfguf.com or email [log in to unmask]

20.     ANNOUNCEMENT:  Writing on the Wall Project Tabling:
The Writing on the Wall Project, now in its seventh year, is an annual diversity program that brings the UF community together to literally and metaphorically break down a wall of hatred and oppression.  During the week of Jan. 20 to Jan. 23, students, faculty and members of the local community are encouraged to paint a brick with hurtful words or phrases that have had a profound impact on them.  Painting will occur the first two days in the Plaza of the Americas and the last two days at the Reitz Union Colonnade.  Come by from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. to a table and paint a brick!

21.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: AMSA Applications:
Need a support group to help you through the difficult premed years? Then go to www.ufpremed.org and join UF Premed AMSA, the largest premed organization on campus. Applications are now open and will be until January 21st. Bring your receipt and dues to the Reitz 3rd floor, room 330C today! Our first General AMSA meeting will be held Wednesday, January 21st at 7:30pm in the MSB auditorium. Please come to listen to our wonderful guest speaker Dr. Hsu and find out if joining AMSA is right for you. Applications will be available at the meeting as well.  If you have any further questions please email [log in to unmask]

22.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Aerial Dance Club's First Meeting:
Have you ever wanted to dance in the air, perform artistic vocabulary on a trapeze, or anything of the sort? Come out to the very first Aerial Club meeting to learn about the artistic meaning and choreography behind it all while learning how to climb and maneuver yourself in the 'silk' and trapeze! If you are still wondering what this is, if you have ever seen Cirque Du Soleil or even a circus, this club teaches you how to use the "curtains" that people hung, danced, and contorted themselves in. NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED! Anything you need to know, we teach to you! Volaticus' goal, the Aerial Club, is to teach and reach new people to explore the world of aerial choreography. This club involves dance, aerial dance, and theatre (acting)! Location: Nadine Dance Pavilion (room G10) Thursday, January 22 from 3:00-5:00pm-bring long sleeves and pants you can move in!

23.     STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Phi Sigma Pi National Co-ed Honor Fraternity (TODAY):
Come out and rush for Phi Sigma Pi! We're not your average fraternity. We are co-ed and open to all types of majors. Our organization is based upon three ideals: scholarship, leadership and fellowship.

Come and see what we're all about. We will be tabling this Tuesday and Wednesday (January 20 and 21) in Turlington Plaza from 10:00am to 2:00pm.

Watch our awesome video and get more information at www.pspuf.com

You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html .

John Denny
University of Florida