Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:37:21 -0400

text/plain

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range from those for freshmen to seniors. To submit an announcement for posting, please fill out the online form at www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html . For more updates on the Honors Program, join our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter @UFHonors

Table of Contents

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.      STUDY ABROAD: Honors in Paris Info Session (TODAY):
STUDENT HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
2.      LEADERSHIP: Hume Eco Rep:
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
3.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Employer Mock Interviews (NEW POSTING):
4.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Peace Corps Application Workshop (NEW POSTING):
5.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Essays Needed about Students' Reflections on Moral Conflicts in College:
6.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Going Global With Your Major (TODAY):
7.      LEADERSHIP: TRiP New Leader Information Session (NEW POSTING):
8.      VOLUNTEER: Camp Kesem (NEW POSTING):
9.      VOLUNTEER: Science Outreach Program:
STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS
10.     ANNOUNCEMENT: Gator Cricket Invitational (NEW POSTING):
11.     ANNOUNCEMENT: 2009 Film Rush:
12.     ANNOUNCEMENT: Recipes Needed for American Red Cross Cookbook:
13.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: College Republicans (NEW POSTING, TODAY):
14.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Young Professionals (NEW POSTING):
15.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: The Millennial Society (NEW POSTING):
16.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: AMSA Deadline Extended:
17.     EVENT: RUB presents Theater Strike Force (NEW POSTING):
18.     EVENT: Physical Therapy Month 2009 - "Gators Moving Forward":
19.     EVENT: GatorAid Benefit Concert to End Sex-Trafficking (TODAY):
20.     EVENT: RUB Entertainment Presents: CD Release Party (TODAY):

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.      STUDY ABROAD: Honors in Paris Info Session (TODAY):
Learn more at the Honors in Paris 2010 Information Session on Thursday, October 1 at 6:30pm in the Hume Commons Area. Applications are now open for the Spring Semester 2010 Honors in Paris Program! Apply today at www.abroad.ufic.ufl.edu

Enroll in courses of distinction taught by top UF professors.

Areas of Study: Photography, Public Relations and Communications, French Cultural Studies and Language, Literature and more!

All Paris Research Center Study Abroad programs are activity-packed programs that take advantage of the cultural and academic opportunities afforded by our Paris location.

Courses supplemented by site visits and excursions throughout Paris and France.

No minimum language requirement.

STUDENT HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

2.      LEADERSHIP: Hume Eco Rep:
The Student Honors Organization is currently searching for an Eco Rep to help keep Hume at its greenest. If you have a passion for sustainability, this job is for you! The purpose of an Eco Rep is to help each area government stay informed. We are looking for someone with ideas about how to put on more sustainable events and keep our residents up-to-date on how they are affecting the planet and how they can each make a positive contribution toward a cleaner, less wasteful environment. Please send an e-mail to [log in to unmask] if you are interested in applying.

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

3.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Employer Mock Interviews (NEW POSTING):
Practice makes perfect!  Insight from employers on interviewing techniques and strategies is extremely valuable.  Employer Mock Interviews allow students to hone their overall interviewing skills with an employer related to their field of interest.  Improve your interviewing skills by practicing with a recruiter. October 5, 10:00am-4:00pm. Register in Gator CareerLink to participate. Visit www.crc.ufl.edu/showcase for more information.

4.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Peace Corps Application Workshop (NEW POSTING):
Applying to Peace Corps within the next year? Come to our Application Workshop on Monday, October 5 at 5:30pm in the International Center (HUB) to get information to assist you with the application process, what to expect, and learn what skills are considered competitive for programs. This workshop will also be extremely useful to anyone who needs to know if their skills and experiences are competitive enough for Peace Corps. Applicants currently past the interview process through invitation will be available for questions. If you have questions, please contact Amy Panikowski at 352.273.1530 or [log in to unmask]

5.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Essays Needed about Students' Reflections on Moral Conflicts in College:
The Journal of College and Character is looking for college students who would like to share their thoughts and feelings about how college has influenced their moral and civic commitments.

If you are interested in writing a 3-5 page essay for a future issue of the Journal let us know by responding to the questions below.

The essays are intended to be candid, personal reflections on the following topics:
*       What have been some of the most significant influences on your personal moral values and beliefs during college?
*       What are some of the moral conflicts you have experienced as a student in college?
*       How are your colleges experiences helping you to develop more awareness and commitment to ethical values and conduct?
*       What do you think should be done (or should not be done) to encourage moral development in college students?

We believe that students' voices need to be heard as we explore ways to make the college experience more supportive for students' moral and civic development.

If you would like to write an essay, send the following information to Amanda Weldy at [log in to unmask]: Attach your essay with your personal information in the title page: name, college, year in school, major, e-mail, and phone. For more information, visit http://www.collegevalues.org/reflections.cfm

6.      ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Going Global With Your Major (TODAY):
We would like to welcome you to attend the 'Going Global with your Major/Minor' Fair to be held this Thursday, October 1 in the Ocora at Pugh Hall from 5:00-7:00pm.

The intention of this initiative is:
-Introduce new UF students to multiple resources and departments that they were not aware of.

-Meet department representatives one-on-one and discuss with them the makeup of the program and how it can assist them in developing into students with a global perspective in various specializations, fields and interests.

-Learn about programs at UF that they may have never considered or known regardless of international interest.

7.      LEADERSHIP: TRiP New Leader Information Session (NEW POSTING):
Interested in become a TRiP leader or simply finding out more about the Travel and Recreation Program (TRiP)? If so, come out to the information session at the Orange & Brew at 7:00pm on Monday, October 5. Food and prizes will be available!

New leader applications are currently available at http://www.union.ufl.edu/trip/. Applications are due electronically by October 15. Applicants need not have extensive outdoor experience to apply, so apply today!

8.      VOLUNTEER: Camp Kesem (NEW POSTING):
Camp Kesem is a student-organized week-long summer camp for children (ages 6-13) who have a parent diagnosed with cancer. We are student volunteers who work tirelessly year round to raise money, recruit campers and counselors, and plan fun activities to offer this camp for free to these amazing children. We are looking for dedicated members and counselors to help us out in all aspects of camp preparation. For more information, please contact Michelle Legaspi ([log in to unmask]) or Carly Blustein ([log in to unmask])

9.      VOLUNTEER: Science Outreach Program:
Interested in a science volunteering opportunity, or a hands-on teaching experience? If so, volunteer with the Science Outreach Program! You and your partner(s) will visit a local classroom once a week, or twice a month to perform labs and demonstrations pertaining to the topics being studied by the students. You do not need to be a science major - all are welcome! Detailed instructions for the labs/demos will be provided with all necessary supplies, as well as reimbursement for transportation mileage. Science Outreach will be starting soon, so please contact Emily at [log in to unmask] for more information and to sign up!

STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS

10.     ANNOUNCEMENT: Gator Cricket Invitational (NEW POSTING):
Want to be a part of UF's first cricket tournament? Register as an individual or get your friends together a form a team for the Gator Cricket Invitational. We're inviting any local teams in the area to join Gator Cricket Club and IGSA's cricket tournament. The event will be held on October 10 and 11, and the deadline to register is this Saturday, October 3. E-mail Srinivasan at [log in to unmask] or KD at [log in to unmask] for more details or for registration.

11.     ANNOUNCEMENT: 2009 Film Rush:
RUB: Entertainment (the club that brings free movies to the Reitz Union!) and Student Upstart Films are hosting this year's Film Rush! Film Rush is a 24 hour film competition, where the goal is to write, direct, film and edit a short film within 24 hours following given parameters. This year's Film Rush will begin on Friday, October 2 in the Reitz Union Room 284 at 6:00pm. We will have free pizza and disclose the parameters then. Afterward, filmmakers will assemble into groups and begin their filmmaking.  Films must be fully completed by the following day, Saturday, October 3 at 6:00pm, when we will meet again in the Reitz Union Auditorium for judging. It's a race to see who can create the best short film in such a short time span! All experience levels are welcomed.

12.     ANNOUNCEMENT: Recipes Needed for American Red Cross Cookbook:
The American Red Cross is holding a fundraiser entitled "Recipes for Disaster". We are currently collecting recipes from caring individuals that wouldn't mind sharing the makings of their favorite dinners, appetizers or deserts. Once all recipes have been collected, they will be bound and sold as a cookbook to the public. All proceeds from the sales would go directly towards the Disaster Relief Fund that provides food, clothing and shelter for families that have experienced a disaster, such as a home fire.

Please send all recipes to [log in to unmask] by October 2. The Red Cross appreciates any recipe donation that you can provide.

13.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: College Republicans (NEW POSTING, TODAY):
The UF College Republicans meeting is Thursday, October 1 at 6:00pm in CSE E220. Find out more about the conservative cause on campus by coming to the meeting or checking out our website, www.ufgop.org

14.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Young Professionals (NEW POSTING):
Young Professionals is meeting on Monday, October 5 from 6:15-7:00pm in Matherly 103. Get involved with the new professional organization on campus! All majors welcome to learn about professionalism and make new connections. For more information contact Christine Shoup at [log in to unmask]

15.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: The Millennial Society (NEW POSTING):
The Millennial Society is having its first ever meeting on Monday, October 5 at 6:30pm in Little Hall room 127. Our club is focused on bringing awareness of all the critical issues that will affect the future of our generation, i.e., the "Millennial Generation". In each meeting we will congregate around free pizza to discuss and debate political, social, global, controversial, scientific, and technological issues. So come out and participate! Be intellectually stimulated! Did I mention there will be free pizza?

For more information, please send an e-mail to [log in to unmask], or check out our Facebook group, The Millennial Society.

16.     STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: AMSA Deadline Extended:
AMSA has extended the Registration and Payment deadlines until October 2 at 3:00pm. Also, since the application is online, anyone can still apply until October 2. A link and instructions for the application are posted on the AMSA website at www.ufpremed.org. All returning members must reapply this semester.

The University of Florida Premedical Chapter of AMSA dedicates itself to the formation of strong fundamentals in premedical students through the enhancement of the premed experience in academic, community, and social settings. We believe that great physicians are, in part, determined by the choices they make while pursuing acceptance into medical school. These choices will ultimately shape the community, state, and nation in which we live. Our members will carry on this devotion to the medical profession for the rest of their careers as physicians.

If you have any questions about anything AMSA related, please feel free to e-mail [log in to unmask]

17.     EVENT: RUB presents Theater Strike Force (NEW POSTING):
Join RUB Entertainment and Gator Nights in the Orange & Brew on Friday, October 2 from 10:00pm to 12:00am for free as Theater Strike Force provides endless laughs in their comedy show! TSF is a student improvisation troupe, so if you enjoy shows like 'Whose Line is it Anyway?' you're sure to love this performance. Check out TSF at http://www.theatrestrikeforce.org/ for more information. To find out more about RUB Entertainment happenings, follow rubentertain on Twitter and join our fan page on Facebook at RUB Entertainment.

18.     EVENT: Physical Therapy Month 2009 - "Gators Moving Forward":
October is the American Physical Therapy Association's Physical Therapy month!

So the Student Physical Therapy Association here at UF is hosting the month's free opening ceremony this Friday, October 2 at the Reitz Union Colonnade from 10:00am-2:00pm.

The "Gators Moving Forward" event will include pertinent health education booths on the following topics from UF's own student physical therapists:
1.  Proper backpack wear
2.  Correct computer ergonomics
3.  Body mechanics skills challenge
Come out to this free event to learn applicable everyday skills!

SPTA will also have an informational table to learn more about the physical therapy profession.  All questions are welcome!

19.     EVENT: GatorAid Benefit Concert to End Sex-Trafficking (TODAY):
Heal the World is holding our annual GatorAid Benefit Concert this Thursday, October 1 at Common Grounds in downtown Gainesville. Doors open at 9:00pm. Bands performing include The Manor, Owl of Minerva, 8 Track Automatic, and Hey Buddy.

The charity concert this year will help end sex-trade trafficking. Between 200,000-300,000 women are trafficked to Europe. Approximately 325,000 children in the United States are subjected to sexual exploitation. The most frequent age of entry into the commercial sex industry in the US is 12-14 years old. 100% of the proceeds from this concert will go directly to help women leave the sex industry. The money will help the women move forward in life by allowing them to continue education and acquire employment. Please visit http://www.gems-girls.org/index.html for more information. This organization needs your help, so please come out and bring all your friends.

Admission: $8 for 21 and over & $10 for under 21

Contact Michelle at [log in to unmask] with any questions

20.     EVENT: RUB Entertainment Presents: CD Release Party (TODAY):
In the mood for some local talent?

It's Gainesville Week and we've put together the "Ten Gainesville Bands You Should Know." Come to the Orange & Brew on Thursday, October 1 at 8:00pm and grab your free CD. We also have a special performance from four of the bands featured on the CD -

The Duppies (ska/reggae)
Bang Bang Boom (garage/rock)
Oh Fortuna (indie/pop)
Little High Little Low (minimalist/ indie)

And did we mention it's free? Visit the RUB Website for more info: http://www.union.ufl.edu/rub/

You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html