Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Oct 2009 09:55:07 -0400

text/plain

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Friday, October 2, 2009

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range from those for freshmen to seniors. To submit an announcement for posting, please fill out the online form at www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html . For more updates on the Honors Program, join our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter @UFHonors

Table of Contents

STUDENT HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.	LEADERSHIP: Hume Eco Rep:
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
2.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Forum Showcasing UF Activities Related to Mexico (NEW POSTING):
3.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Mind Mashup (NEW POSTING):
4.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Employer Mock Interviews:
5.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Peace Corps Application Workshop:
6.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Essays Needed about Students' Reflections on Moral Conflicts in College:
7.	LEADERSHIP: TRiP New Leader Information Session:
8.	VOLUNTEER: Camp Kesem:
STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS
9.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Tau Beta Pi FE Reviews (NEW POSTING):
10.	ANNOUNCEMENT: UF Paintball Team at the PSP World Cup (NEW POSTING):
11.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Gator Cricket Invitational:
12.	ANNOUNCEMENT: 2009 Film Rush (TODAY):
13.	STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Czech and Slovak Student Association (NEW POSTING):
14.	STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Young Professionals:
15.	STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: The Millennial Society:
16.	EVENT: RUB presents Theater Strike Force (TODAY):
17.	EVENT: Physical Therapy Month 2009 - "Gators Moving Forward" (TODAY):

STUDENT HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.	LEADERSHIP: Hume Eco Rep:
The Student Honors Organization is currently searching for an Eco Rep to help keep Hume at its greenest. If you have a passion for sustainability, this job is for you! The purpose of an Eco Rep is to help each area government stay informed. We are looking for someone with ideas about how to put on more sustainable events and keep our residents up-to-date on how they are affecting the planet and how they can each make a positive contribution toward a cleaner, less wasteful environment. Please send an e-mail to [log in to unmask] if you are interested in applying. The applications are due before 5:00pm on Friday, October 16.

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

2.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Forum Showcasing UF Activities Related to Mexico (NEW POSTING):
Join students, staff, and faculty from around campus on Tuesday, October 6 in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom to learn about the exciting research, teaching, and service activities on campus that are related to Mexico.  This event, a continuation of the dialogue begun by the freshman common book, *Devil's Highway* by Luis Urrea, is intended to bring together students, faculty, and staff, who will present their work related to Mexico.

Dr. Norma Alcantar, an assistant professor from the Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering at USF, will begin the event at 1:00pm by describing her work in cleaning drinking water in developing communities of Mexico.

Following the keynote address, a poster symposium will showcase over twenty areas of teaching, research, and service related to Mexico.   Diverse topics will be presented during this symposium, including migration of Monarch butterflies, labor migration from Mexico, *Hibiscus *beverage preparation, a study of the springs on the Yucatan coast, Yucatan honey, improvement of agricultural safety for Mexican farm workers, an architectural design studio focusing on Mexico, Mexican fisheries, the Latin American Collection in the UF Library, and study abroad opportunities.

Anyone with an interest in learning more about Mexico-focused work by UF students, staff, and faculty are invited!  Feel free to join the symposium anytime between 2:00-4:00pm if your schedule does not allow you to arrive for the keynote presentation.

3.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Mind Mashup (NEW POSTING):
Florida Free Culture is hosting Mind Mashup on Tuesday, October 6 from 5:30-7:30pm at the InfoCommons on the 3rd floor at Library West. Learn how to use open source software programs and creative commons images, music, and video to create new content! Bring your own laptop to download/bookmark free resources.

Contact FFC President Jennifer Griffith at [log in to unmask] or visit http://uf.freeculture.org/ for more information.

4.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Employer Mock Interviews:
Practice makes perfect!  Insight from employers on interviewing techniques and strategies is extremely valuable.  Employer Mock Interviews allow students to hone their overall interviewing skills with an employer related to their field of interest.  Improve your interviewing skills by practicing with a recruiter. October 5, 10:00am-4:00pm. Register in Gator CareerLink to participate. Visit www.crc.ufl.edu/showcase for more information.

5.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Peace Corps Application Workshop:
Applying to Peace Corps within the next year? Come to our Application Workshop on Monday, October 5 at 5:30pm in the International Center (HUB) to get information to assist you with the application process, what to expect, and learn what skills are considered competitive for programs. This workshop will also be extremely useful to anyone who needs to know if their skills and experiences are competitive enough for Peace Corps. Applicants currently past the interview process through invitation will be available for questions. If you have questions, please contact Amy Panikowski at 352.273.1530 or [log in to unmask]

6.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Essays Needed about Students' Reflections on Moral Conflicts in College:
The Journal of College and Character is looking for college students who would like to share their thoughts and feelings about how college has influenced their moral and civic commitments.

If you are interested in writing a 3-5 page essay for a future issue of the Journal let us know by responding to the questions below.

The essays are intended to be candid, personal reflections on the following topics:
*	What have been some of the most significant influences on your personal moral values and beliefs during college?
*	What are some of the moral conflicts you have experienced as a student in college?
*	How are your colleges experiences helping you to develop more awareness and commitment to ethical values and conduct?
*	What do you think should be done (or should not be done) to encourage moral development in college students?

We believe that students' voices need to be heard as we explore ways to make the college experience more supportive for students' moral and civic development.

If you would like to write an essay, send the following information to Amanda Weldy at [log in to unmask]: Attach your essay with your personal information in the title page: name, college, year in school, major, e-mail, and phone. For more information, visit http://www.collegevalues.org/reflections.cfm

7.	LEADERSHIP: TRiP New Leader Information Session:
Interested in become a TRiP leader or simply finding out more about the Travel and Recreation Program (TRiP)? If so, come out to the information session at the Orange & Brew at 7:00pm on Monday, October 5. Food and prizes will be available!

New leader applications are currently available at http://www.union.ufl.edu/trip/. Applications are due electronically by October 15. Applicants need not have extensive outdoor experience to apply, so apply today!

8.	VOLUNTEER: Camp Kesem:
Camp Kesem is a student-organized week-long summer camp for children (ages 6-13) who have a parent diagnosed with cancer. We are student volunteers who work tirelessly year round to raise money, recruit campers and counselors, and plan fun activities to offer this camp for free to these amazing children. We are looking for dedicated members and counselors to help us out in all aspects of camp preparation. For more information, please contact Michelle Legaspi ([log in to unmask]) or Carly Blustein ([log in to unmask])

STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS

9.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Tau Beta Pi FE Reviews (NEW POSTING):
Tau Beta Pi will be holding FE Reviews starting on Tuesday, October 6. They will run for three weeks, with three review sessions during each of the first two weeks, on T,W,R, and two during the third and final week, on T,R. Reviews run from 6:00-8:00pm. Details are forthcoming and can be found at tbp.eng.ufl.edu

10.	ANNOUNCEMENT: UF Paintball Team at the PSP World Cup (NEW POSTING):
The UF Paintball team will be competing against FAU, Auburn, and Purdue on October 10 at Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, FL. Please visit our website at www.ufpaintball.org for more information on the club. We are always looking for new players of all skill levels.

11.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Gator Cricket Invitational:
Want to be a part of UF's first cricket tournament? Register as an individual or get your friends together a form a team for the Gator Cricket Invitational. We're inviting any local teams in the area to join Gator Cricket Club and IGSA's cricket tournament. The event will be held on October 10 and 11, and the deadline to register is this Saturday, October 3. E-mail Srinivasan at [log in to unmask] or KD at [log in to unmask] for more details or for registration.

12.	ANNOUNCEMENT: 2009 Film Rush (TODAY):
RUB: Entertainment (the club that brings free movies to the Reitz Union!) and Student Upstart Films are hosting this year's Film Rush! Film Rush is a 24 hour film competition, where the goal is to write, direct, film and edit a short film within 24 hours following given parameters. This year's Film Rush will begin on Friday, October 2 in the Reitz Union Room 284 at 6:00pm. We will have free pizza and disclose the parameters then. Afterward, filmmakers will assemble into groups and begin their filmmaking.  Films must be fully completed by the following day, Saturday, October 3 at 6:00pm, when we will meet again in the Reitz Union Auditorium for judging. It's a race to see who can create the best short film in such a short time span! All experience levels are welcomed.

13.	STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Czech and Slovak Student Association (NEW POSTING):
Interested in learning about the cultures of Central Europe? Come to the first meeting of the UF Czech and Slovak Student Association!  We will be discussing our events for the rest of the semester, which will include presentations, movies, and other fun activities. The meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 6 at 7:30pm in Anderson 32.  Please contact Janel Fontaine at [log in to unmask] for more information.

14.	STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: Young Professionals:
Young Professionals is meeting on Monday, October 5 from 6:15-7:00pm in Matherly 103. Get involved with the new professional organization on campus! All majors welcome to learn about professionalism and make new connections. For more information contact Christine Shoup at [log in to unmask]

15.	STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT: The Millennial Society:
The Millennial Society is having its first ever meeting on Monday, October 5 at 6:30pm in Little Hall room 127. Our club is focused on bringing awareness of all the critical issues that will affect the future of our generation, i.e., the "Millennial Generation". In each meeting we will congregate around free pizza to discuss and debate political, social, global, controversial, scientific, and technological issues. So come out and participate! Be intellectually stimulated! Did I mention there will be free pizza?

For more information, please send an e-mail to [log in to unmask], or check out our Facebook group, The Millennial Society.

16.	EVENT: RUB presents Theater Strike Force (TODAY):
Join RUB Entertainment and Gator Nights in the Orange & Brew on Friday, October 2 from 10:00pm to 12:00am for free as Theater Strike Force provides endless laughs in their comedy show! TSF is a student improvisation troupe, so if you enjoy shows like 'Whose Line is it Anyway?' you're sure to love this performance. Check out TSF at http://www.theatrestrikeforce.org/ for more information. To find out more about RUB Entertainment happenings, follow rubentertain on Twitter and join our fan page on Facebook at RUB Entertainment.

17.	EVENT: Physical Therapy Month 2009 - "Gators Moving Forward" (TODAY):
October is the American Physical Therapy Association's Physical Therapy month!

So the Student Physical Therapy Association here at UF is hosting the month's free opening ceremony this Friday, October 2 at the Reitz Union Colonnade from 10:00am-2:00pm.

The "Gators Moving Forward" event will include pertinent health education booths on the following topics from UF's own student physical therapists:
1.  Proper backpack wear
2.  Correct computer ergonomics
3.  Body mechanics skills challenge
Come out to this free event to learn applicable everyday skills!

SPTA will also have an informational table to learn more about the physical therapy profession.  All questions are welcome!

You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html