Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:50:45 -0500

text/plain

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range from those for freshmen to seniors. To submit an announcement for posting, please fill out the online form at www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html

Table of Contents

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Director of the Honors Program interviews
HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
2.	ANNOUNCEMENT: New Honors Ambassadors
3.	ANNOUNCEMENT: SHO Presents Revenge of Capture the Flag (NEW POSTING)
4.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Bands Needed for SHOstock:
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
5.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Diversity and Sustainability at UF
EVENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
6.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: AED Pre-Health Honor Society Accepting Applications: (NEW POSTING)
7.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Upstart Films Meeting: (NEW POSTING)
8.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Powershift 2009 in Washington DC (NEW POSTING)
9.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Programming Contest (NEW POSTING)
10.	ANNOUNCEMENT: VISA Talent Show is Calling Performers! (NEW POSTING)
11.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Aerial Club Meeting
12.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Catholic Awareness Week
13.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: EU Club Meeting
14.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Go on a TRiP!
15.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Animal Activists of Alachua Meeting
16.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Alpha Kappa Alpha Service Week
17.	ANNOUNCEMENT:  UF Hillel's Open Mic Night: (TODAY)
18.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Women's Leadership Conference:

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Director of the Honors Program interviews
Candidates for the Director of the Honors Program will be on campus this week for interviews.  Each candidate will present on their vision for the Honors Program in an open forum for faculty, staff and students.  Candidates Dr. William McKeen and Dr. Kevin Knudson will present on Thursday, January 29 and Friday, January 30 at 9:15am in 201A Criser Hall.  To review the entire list of candidate's CV's, visit http://www.aa.ufl.edu/search_committees/Honors_Director/   All Honors Students are encouraged to participate.

HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

2.	ANNOUNCEMENT: New Honors Ambassadors
Honors Ambassadors would like to congratulate and welcome their new members: Jose Garcia, Kaitlin Cunningham, Ashley Richardson, Victoria Cacicedo, Courtney Sargent, Ross McClellan, Allison Kuipers, Cory Edgar, Sierra Seamen, Chad Zhang, Tori Tomiczek, Amy Rubin, Micah Lewis, Alyssa Prats, Meghan McMullen, Michael Eichner, Erin Murphy, and Peter Posada.

To learn more about Honors Ambassadors, visit honors.ufl.edu/ha.

3.	ANNOUNCEMENT: SHO Presents Revenge of Capture the Flag (NEW POSTING)
What: Giant Game of Capture the Flag
Where: Flavet Field (directly across the street from Hume)
When: Thursday, January 29 from 8:30-9:00pm
(This event is in replacement of Glow in the Dark Dodgeball- moved to February!)

4.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Bands Needed for SHOstock:
The Student Honors Organization is hosting a concert named "SHOstock" on March 1st and needs YOUR band to be featured! You will play to a large audience in front of soon to be adoring fans. Any genre of music is acceptable and everyone is encouraged to apply!

To perform contact:  Patrick Wanninkhof [log in to unmask] (305)321-0573

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

5.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Diversity and Sustainability at UF
At the UF Office of Sustainability, we strive to address the interrelationships between economic, environmental, and social issues in the pursuit of our mission. In the upcoming semester, we plan to implement new campaigns and strategies that engage a broader, more diverse audience. This survey is designed to garner the opinions and recommendations of UF students regarding this issue. We would like to hear what you think.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=OwBEMhe_2bnpdAas6jVGc8zA_3d_3d

EVENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

6.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: AED Pre-Health Honor Society Accepting Applications: (NEW POSTING)
Are you a pre-health student? Pre-med? Pre-dent? Pre-pharm? Pre-vet? Alpha Epsilon Delta, UF's most active and respected pre-health honor society, is now recruiting. Opportunities include leadership, service, shadowing, and help in becoming a more qualified pre-professional student.

Qualifications:
1. Completed two semesters of college with at least one at UF (summer counts as a semester) 2. A cumulative and science GPA of at least 3.2 3. Completed and turned-in application by Friday, January 30, 2009 at 5PM in Reitz 330C 4. Successfully complete an interview

Applications are available at www.ufaed.org Questions or website problems? Contact [log in to unmask]

7.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Upstart Films Meeting: (NEW POSTING)
Upstart Films will hold its first meeting of the new semester this Thursday, January 29, in Turlington Rm. 2333 at 6:15pm. Upstart Films is the club for people who love to make movies, and all experience levels are welcomed. During this meeting, we will be screening past Upstart short films. Also, we will bring food for all of our current and new members!

8.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Powershift 2009 in Washington DC (NEW POSTING)
Want to meet Al Gore and Vandana Shiva? What about Nancy Pelosi?  Come to Powershift! From February 27th to March 2nd, 2009 thousands of young leaders will converge on Capitol Hill for Power Shift 2009, the second national youth summit to solve the climate crisis.  A group of 55 students will be chosen from UF to attend. The cost is estimated to be $130 total for travel and lodging, if you contact [log in to unmask] before February 1.  Be a part of the change!

9.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Programming Contest (NEW POSTING)
The ACM Programming Team will be hosting a contest this Sunday, February 1st in CSE 113 starting at noon. It's open to all students, so come to solve puzzles, eat pizza, and compete for prizes! For more details and to RSVP, see the Facebook event page at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=48268988628 or e-mail Miorel Palii <[log in to unmask]>

10.	ANNOUNCEMENT: VISA Talent Show is Calling Performers! (NEW POSTING)
We are looking for talented performers to showcase cultural traditions at the upcoming VISA Talent Show. The event is an integral part of the international month and will be held at the O'Connell center on Saturday, April 18th. The application deadline has been extended to Friday, January 30. Questions or request for application:  E-mail Kasey Fu at [log in to unmask]

11.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Aerial Club Meeting
Come out to our second meeting of the aerial club, Thursday, January 29 at the Nadine Dance Pavilion (Room G10)  where you can learn choreography, dance, theatre, production, and tech for performances! We will learn technique in all the above areas listed with a focus on aerial silk, trapeze, and lyra! Bring a friend and become a member even sooner! NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED! If you are still wondering what this is, if you have ever seen Cirque Du Soleil or even a circus, this club teaches you how to use the "curtains" that people hung, danced, and contorted themselves in! Need: long sleeve shirt (not sweater), dance/exercise pants (no jeans please); pants you are comfortable to move in!  Reminder: no jewelry-we don't want to rip the fabric!  Email [log in to unmask] with any further questions!

12.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Catholic Awareness Week
This week is Catholic Awareness Week. The Catholic Student Center will be hosting a week full of events, some of which include a dance, a play, and a Superbowl party. Full details can be found at www.catholicgators.com

13.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: EU Club Meeting
Come join the EU Club Thursday, January 29 at 7:30pm in Anderson 101 for a speaker's forum hosted by international law students from Germany.  Feel free to bring your own questions.  Refreshments will be provided.  Contact: [log in to unmask] for more information or join our Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6345064165

14.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Go on a TRiP!
Backpacking and caving trips are available for the next two weekends!  Call 352.846.3003 or visit http://www.union.ufl.edu/trip/schedule.asp for availability.  We're located on the ground floor of the Reitz Union.

15.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Animal Activists of Alachua Meeting
Join us at our meeting Thursday, January 29th at 7:30pm in Reitz Union 355 for a meeting with Kari Bagnall, founder of Jungle Friends, and Elaine West, founder of Rooterville.  We'll have a panel discussion on how to start and run your own animal sanctuary.  Our awesome organic cotton t-shirts will be for sale as well!

Also, as dissections begin this week, AAA wants you to know that the UF Student Choice Policy gives you the right to a humane alternative to dissection if you feel any level of discomfort at the thought of dissecting, without any consequence to your grade.  Just talk to your TA or professor.  Contact [log in to unmask] for more info.

16.	STUDENT ORG ANNOUNCEMENT: Alpha Kappa Alpha Service Week
Come join us Jan. 25-31 for our service week, "A SeussAKAl Skee-Week 2009."  We will be collecting books and donations to benefit Invisible Children throughout the week.  For specific event dates and times visit: www.ILaka1975.com

17.	ANNOUNCEMENT:  UF Hillel's Open Mic Night: (TODAY)
The University of Florida Hillel and Manoa Arts Engagement are thrilled to present Open Mic Night, an artist showcase for all!  Wednesday, January 28, 7:30pm

Come see the best talent of Gainesville live on one stage at the Hillel on University Avenue.  All singers, songwriters, musicians, poets, artists and comics are welcome to perform. The event is free and open to the public.

Hillel's Open Mic Night series have previously showcased amazing artists A to Z, Rubber Tramps Stevie D and the No-Shows, For He who Hung the Moon, and Boss Lady & the Company.

Interested in performing? Contact Mallory at [log in to unmask] to sign up for a slot. All acts MUST check in at 7:30pm

18.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Women's Leadership Conference:
The Women's Leadership Council will host the 22nd Annual Women's Leadership Conference-"Women in the Spotlight: What Role Will You Play?"-- on Sunday February 8, 2009.  The Women's Leadership Conference is an annual event for all UF students as well as members of the community. The Conference provides an array of workshops focusing on career, leadership and awareness in addition to a career panel and keynote speaker Gainesville Mayor Pegeen Hanrahan. Registration is free for all Honors Students in good standing!  Simply let the Dean of Students Office know you are an Honors Student when you register.  For more information and to register please visit www.dso.ufl.edu/studentorgs/wlc/conference.php.  The registration deadline is Monday, February 2, 2009.

You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html .