Osceola County (1/9/09)

John Thomton <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Jan 2009 17:06:07 -0600

text/plain

Hey everyone,

Today I went birding with Carlos Ross, and excellent birder and a recent transplant to Orlando from Phoenix.  He needed a few Florida specialties for lifers, so we headed south.  We began the day at Three Lakes Wildlife Management Area, where we hiked along the Florida Trail near the parking area off Canoe Creek Road (south of St. Cloud) and we went to the observation tower at Lake Jackson.  Next, we headed down Joe Overstreet Road (also off Canoe Creek Road, just north of Three Lakes) to Lake Kissimmee.  After lunch, we went to Brinson Park on the NW tip of Lake Tohopekaliga (Toho) in downtown Kissimmee.  We didn't see anything super rare or unexpected, but we had a fun day, and Carlos got some lifers, indeed!

Black-Bellied Whistling-Duck (about 20 adults and juvies in the wetland mitigation along Oak St. east of 17/92)
Muscovy Duck
Wood Duck
Mottled Duck
Blue-Winged Teal
Ring-Necked Duck
Pied-Billed Grebe
American White Pelican (Lake Toho)
Double-Crested Cormorant
Anhinga
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
White Ibis
Glossy Ibis
Wood Stork
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Snail Kite (5 at Lake Toho, 1 at the BBWD spot)
Bald Eagle
Cooper's Hawk
Red-Shouldered Hawk
Red-Tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Common Moorhen
American Coot
Limpkin (3-4 at Lake Jackson in Three Lakes WMA; 3 at Lake Toho)
Sandhill Crane
Whooping Crane (2 at the end of Joe Overstreet Rd.)
Killdeer
Ring-Billed Gull
Forster's Tern
Rock Pigeon
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Red-Cockaded Woodpecker (3 at Three Lakes WMA along the Florida Trail)
Eastern Phoebe
Loggerhead Shrike
White-Eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow
Tree Swallow
Tufted Titmouse
Brown-Headed Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Northern Mockingbird
Yellow-Rumped Warbler
Pine Warbler
Palm Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Eastern Towhee
Savannah Sparrow
Red-Winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Common Grackle
Boat-Tailed Grackle
Brown-Headed Cowbird (Carlos thought he saw a red-eyed individual flying by with the flock; pay attention to the cowbird flocks at the end of Joe Overstreet Road for possible Shiny or Bronzed)

So it was a good day.  A big miss for the day was Crested Caracara.  We had our eyes peeled all the way down Canoe Creek Road and we went really slow down Joe Overstreet and even stopped to scan several distant tree lines or tall snags: nada!  Also we somehow got through the day with no Gray Catbirds or Northern Cardinals.  If you could see me, I'm shrugging my shoulders.

Good birding,

John Thomton
Orlando, Orange Co.