Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: VARK learning styles question

Kat Powell <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:13:22 -0700

text/plain

In regard to the VARK, I find it to be a good tool.  I must agree with Elizabeth, which is to stress that this is a tool to help them understand their preferences better and capitalize on them.
I have worked as an interpreter of assessments from the MBTI, CAI (Career Assessment Inventory), Learning Styles, Gardner's Multiple Intelligences and more for over ten years.  I always stress to students that this is not meant to 'put them in a box' or to tell them how they should be, but to gain a greater understanding of themselves.  They are always the best judge of themselves and I find that most assessments simply affirm what they already knew.
As mentioned by others, these tools seem to work best when they are short and easy to take.  The conversations, instruction, and processing of the information is really what brings it home.
Kat

Kat Powell M.S., G.C.D.F.
Learning Assistance Coordinator
College of Southern Idaho
P.O. Box 1238
Twin Falls, ID 83303-1238
(208)732-6685
Fax (208)736-3029
**Remember no matter where you go, there you are.**

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lee, Elizabeth
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: VARK learning styles question

Robert, we use the VARK here at BRCC.  It provides students with a quick look at how they like to receive information.  I have used it successfully for nearly ten years in individual consultations with students who come to me for assistance with their study strategies.  I might add that we stress that the instrument is an inventory to help the student focus on how they like to take in their information. We encourage the student to evaluate the results and to voice any disagreements with the results.  It is one tool in the structure of the individual consultation, and I have, in my ten years of use, heard from many students who implemented the SWOT strategies who moved their grades from average to superior.  The results work well with helping students formulate their study plans and focus on how they like to receive information and what to do when instruction does not come in the form they prefer.

There are hundreds of instruments out there.  This instrument is easy and quick and beneficial to the students that I assist.  We introduce the instrument and its use in tutor training at the Advanced and Master Levels.

I attended a conference several years ago where I heard the presenter talk about the comparison of benefits of individual consultation with students about study behavior and the LASSI.  The results were that Dr. Ley found that she was able to obtain as good or better information from students by simply talking with them with purpose. I think the same holds true to the use of most instruments.

What you might want to keep in mind is that you need to use an instrument that you are comfortable with and that meets your goals.

Elizabeth P. Lee
Associate Dean/Associate Professor
Academic Learning Center
Baton Rouge Community College