For the next two weeks

Michael Marsiske <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:20:36 -0500

text/plain

Hi all: Ordinarily, I don't really get "on" you too much about reading. Mostly, I figure you will follow along and read when you need the supplements.

But I'm writing about readings here for two reasons:

A. The next two weeks are about Mixed Effects models, and those really are a whole new language. I'll do the best I can in class, but you have to follow along pretty quickly with a lot of complex topics. The only way that is going to work, I think, is if you do some advanced readings.

The Tabachnick and Fidell required reading is pretty good. Untill recently, that was the most accessible reading in the bunch. Now, though, I posted that new Field reading, and it is the best thing out there. Thus, I strongly, strongly, strongly urge you to read...or at least skim...in advance of Wednesday. if time is limited, read UP TO the within-subjects/longitudinal/growth model part...and then read that before next week's class.

B. This canonical/discriminant stuff is HARD. I'm sensing a fair bit of confusion...and it's likely I may not be the best communicator of this stuff. If that is the case, the readings you have for the discriminant and canonical weeks are slight, accessible, and for the most part not too technical. If it is not "coming clear" for you, I'd urge you to read or skim those materials...That may help where I can't.

For those who own Andy Fields' book (most of you, I believe), the tail end of the MANOVA chapter (which we did not study in CLP 6528) has a nice brief discussion of discriminant too. That might also help some of you with the fog.

So, even though time is limited for everyone...I think this may be a class where those of you for whom it is NOT coming so easily in class might want to budget some extra time for reading. Regardless, I'd strongly urge reading that Field chapter (19) before Wednesday.