Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  February 2009

SOCNET February 2009

Re: combining spatial networks with social networks

Dc Christopoulos <[log in to unmask]>

Dc Christopoulos <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:09:33 +0000

text/plain

Dear Dan

I have an interest in this area although my work only skirts at the edges of the topic. I have an article under review on the social capital of elites comparing a number of different EU regions and testing the Nan Lin set of hypotheses. But this is not what you probably have in mind. I have also agreed to contribute to a substantial research project next academic year based at a department of geography, where we will look at integrating social networks and spatial models but again publications are a couple of years away.

Geographers and Urban Planners have increasingly integrated relational concepts into their models. Human geography has followed the interest of the rest of the social sciences on social capital for instance.

Most geographers are familiar with graph theory through the use of spatial networks and spatial autocorrelations (check the Tulip software for instance). Then economic geographers have been employing concepts of regional clustering, regional innovation systems and knowledge flows for decades.

I have found the following sources interesting:

Wong, Pattison & Robins (2006) 'A spatial model for social networks' Physica A

Johnson & Giles (2000) 'Spatial Social Networks' Review of Economic Design

Liben-Nowell et al (2005) 'Geographic routing in social networks' PNAS

Bathelt & Gluckert (2003) 'Towards a relational economic geography' Journal of Economic Geography

Ter-Wal & Boschma (2008) 'Applying Social Network Analysis in economic Geography' Annals of Regional Science

Green (2007) 'Functional Polycentricity: A Formal Definition of Terms in Social Network Analysis' Urban Studies

Strihan (2008) 'A network based approach to regional borders: the case of Belgium' Regional Studies

hope useful

Dimitris

Dr Dimitris C Christopoulos
Senior Lecturer