Project coordinator vacancy
Dear EUPMAN Friends,
Recently IRC (independent non-profit organisation) was awarded a terrific new contract of 22 million by the Bill Gates Foundation. This is their second contract from this foundation.
It's for this contract that they are trying to locate a new coordinator. The person shoud already be troroughly familiar with project management and should ideally have worked and lived in one or more developing countries. He or she should be more of a do-er than a thinker.
For more details about the IRC job, please contact
IRC is an, working as an international knowledge centre in the field of water supply, sanitation, hygiene (WASH) and integrated water resources management (IWRM) in developing countries. IRC works with international and local partners in Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the Middle East to develop practical approaches, capacities and policies needed for poor people to access sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene services. IRC is a professional organisation with some 50 dedicated staff. To help achieve its ambitions IRC is currently seeking candidates for the position of:
of the Sustainable Services at Scale (SSS) project
The Sustainable Services at Scale project will identify, develop and test decentralised models for the delivery of sustainable rural water services in developing countries. The project will use a range of research, learning, communication and behavior change approaches, with the aim not only of identifying and demonstrating new service delivery models, but also of creating the necessary enthousiasm and buy-in to ensure that they are taken up, sustained and replicated. The project will start in December 2008, has an overall budget in the region of US$22 million, and has a duration of six years with the inclusion of an eighteen month inception phase part of which will be the identification of the initial two countries for project execution. The project will be implemented by an international team of 6-8 professionals based in the Netherlands as part of IRC together with local teams of 10-12 professionals based in partner organisations in the countries.
The project coordinator’s main responsibility is the effective and successful implementation of the SSS project together with the project director and the project financial controller.
Specific responsibilities are:
• Overseeing overall project planning a/o the annual plan and (functional) work plans for team members to ensure that project activities are successfully carried out and milestones achieved
• Budget control and financial reporting, together with the project controller, and responding to/engaging with grant donor on issues relating to project management, budget tracking and overall progress towards meeting milestones
• Contract management a/o of contracts with project partners in country, contracted firms for specialised services, consultants and others
• Enabling and supporting the operational activities of the project partners in country
• Developing and disseminating relevant (operational) guidelines for the international team and for the project partners in country
• Contributing to partnership building at all levels, in particular between project partners in country and IRC
• Actively contributing to team building in particular in the international team
• Contributing to the integration of the SSS project in IRC
• Extensive project management experience (minimum of 10 years), preferably in multi-country and / or multi-partner projects, including knowledge of project management systems and programmes
• Minimum five years relevant experience of working and living in different developing countries
• Proven organizational skills, planning skills and accuracy in all aspects of management
• Capacities to discuss and negotiate contracts, budgets and planning
• A team worker and a team builder
• Excellent communication and intercultural skills and a well developed sense of humor
• High energy levels, persistence and the capacity to motivate team members in country and in IRC
• Preferably experience in working in an environment of researchers and knowledge professionals
• Preferably a Master degree or comparable experience
• Fluency in English and at least working knowledge level in one other European language
• Willingness and interest to travel up to approximately 30% of the time to different developing countries and to maintain good working relationships with partner staff organizations in these countries
Details of the position:
You will be offered the function of Senior Programme Officer, BBRA scale 12-13 (max. €4,867.41- € 5,444.46) depending on your qualifications and experience. IRC welcomes applicants of any nationality, the post will require obtaining a working permit for The Netherlands (granted automatically for EU citizens), and will require being physically based in the Netherlands
For information contact Wim Slootweg, GSM 06-20407225, e-mail [log in to unmask]
The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.