Audubon of Florida

YELENA GRANOVSKAYA <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Mar 2009 20:55:45 -0400

multipart/MIXED (10 lines) , text/plain (59 lines) , climate poll handout 2009.pdf (59 lines)

--
Yelena Granovskaya
University of Florida

Dear Bioenergy & Sustainable Technology Society Officers, I thought you might be interested in an initiative Audubon of Florida is working on. Please see the message below from Audubon of Florida's Policy Director. I hope you will be able to participate by emailing legislators and asking them to take a stand on climate change. Sincerely, Sarah M. Ridley Audubon of Florida 444 Brickell Avenue, Suite 850 Miami, FL 33131 (305) 371-6399 ext. 138 (305) 371-6398 fax We cannot solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstein ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dear all, Audubon of Florida launched its Take a Stand on Climate Change initiative today and we invite you to participate by visiting www.climateflorida.org<http://www.climateflorida.org/>. This initiative posed seven questions on climate and energy issues to Florida legislators and to Florida voters, in a statistically-sound poll of voters' attitudes. The results show a majority of Floridians support state laws on renewable energy and vehicle emissions standards to reduce greenhouse gases. At www.climateflorida.org<http://www.climateflorida.org/>, the public's views on climate change and state policy are posted, and each Florida Legislator is provided with a webpage on which responses to the same questions are made available to visitors. You can also send an email to legislators who have not responded to the questions, asking them to Take a Stand on Climate Change. Here is the story about this initiative, and attached is a one-page fact sheet on the initiative. Too often important decisions are shielded from public view by the legislative process itself. We believe this initiative is a tool to stimulate dialogue with Legislators to enact solutions. Eric Draper ---------------------------------------------------------------------- March 10, 2009 Survey: Floridians would support laws to reduce emissions By Stephen D. Price Florida Capital Bureau Floridians are concerned about the state's carbon footprint and many would support laws to reduce emissions and require auto manufacturers to sell cars and light trucks that emit fewer harmful greenhouse gases, according to a recent survey. "There is a reluctance from some legislators who don't believe climate change is occurring," said Eric Draper, policy director of Audubon of Florida. "There is almost universal agreement among scientists about climate change. I decided to see what Floridians think." The poll found that 70 percent of voters agreed Florida should regulate greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, in the same way they do other air pollutants. Sixty-five percent of Floridians agreed the state will be impacted by the effects of climate change. The survey also found that 78 percent of Floridians agreed that the state should require electric utilities to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases. It also found that 71 percent of those polled said the state should require auto manufacturers to sell cars and trucks that emit fewer greenhouse gases. Gov. Charlie Crist has called for adoption of the California Vehicle Emissions Standards and for a Renewable Portfolio Standard to require utilities to supply 20 percent of Florida's electricity using renewable energy by 2020. Wade Hopping, a lobbyist for the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, said he was not surprised by the survey. He said auto emissions have improved by 95 percent during the last 15 years. Still, Draper said the survey showed, "how much the public is lining up on the side of aggressive strategies for climate change. ... Hopefully, we will be able to educate the legislators that if you vote the way your constituents feel, then you will vote for clean cars and renewable energy." The poll surveyed a random sample of 500 Republicans and Democrats with a margin of error of 4.4 percent.