Skip repetitive navigational links

Quantitative data

Martin Golson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Mar 2009 12:01:02 -0500

text/plain

I would suggest looking at several factors to evaluate the program.

Cost: Look at the tutor hours devoted to supporting the course in previous
semesters compared to the cost of putting a tutor in the classroom.

Student Success Rate: Compare the results for the students in the
supported course with students in the course who did not receive support.
Ideally, look at students who took the course with the same instructor
during a previous semester. Look at average GPA and the pass rate for the
course.

Return Rate: Since this is a course affecting new students, compare the
return rate of students in non-suppoprted sections with the return rate of
students in the supported sections. I recommend using return rate instead
of the retention rate since some of the students in the course are not
likely to be FTFT students and you want to have a large enough smaple size
to establish significance.

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 10:14:09 -0800, Barbara Speidel-Haughey
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>As a "mutation" of our Power Study Program (SI), we have begun to
experiment with in-class tutors within basic skills courses. To date the
pilot shows great promise, with enthusiasm and positive comments from both
faculty, tutors, and students. However, we need to find a way to evaluate
this program beyond qualitative data. This is proving to be difficult
because of the many variables involved. Does anyone have suggestions
regarding quantitative measures we can use to better assess the
effectiveness of this approach?