Re: request for ERM literature

Christine A Bevc <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:12:54 -0600

text/plain

Hi George,

Then it sounds like community response and recovery from disaster
events...here are a couple that might offer some assistance. They are
not explicitly formal network analysis, but offer some foundations and
specific cases. See below.

Also, for current literature related to hazards and disasters, the
Natural Hazards Center produces a quarterly publication, entitled
Research Digest, that aggregates recent research. It's an online
publication available at http://www.colorado.edu/hazards/rd/.

Lastly, it would also be of use to search under the term 'emergent
multi-organizational network(s)' or 'EMON.' This is another term that
has been used more readily in the body of hazards and disasters literature.

Hope these offer some assistance,
Christine

National Research Council. 2006. Facing Hazards and Disasters:
Understanding Human Dimensions. Washington, D.C.: The National Academies
Press.

Phillips, Brenda D., Lisa Garza, and David M. Neal. 1994. Intergroup
relations in disasters: Service delivery barriers after Hurricane
Andrew. Journal of Intergroup Relations, 21(1):18‐27.

Stallings, Robert A. and E.L. Quarantelli. 1985. Emergent citizen groups
and emergency management. Public Administration Review, 45:93‐100.

Tierney, Kathleen. 2007. From the margins to the mainstream? Disaster
research at the crossroads. Annual Review of Sociology, 33:503‐525.

Gillespie, David F. 1991. Coordinating community resources. pp. 55‐78 in
Thomas E. Drabek and Gerard J. Hoetmer (eds.) Emergency Management:
Principles and Practice for Local Government. Washington, D.C.:
International City Managers Association.

Neal, David M. and Brenda D. Phillips. 1998. An examination of emergent
norms and emergent social structures in collective behavior situations.
Sociological Focus, 21:233‐243.

Sweet, S. 1998. The Effect of a Natural Disaster on Social Cohesion.
International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters, 16(3):322-31.

Wenger, D. 1978. Community Response to Disaster. pp. 17-47 in Disasters:
Theory and Research, edited by E. L. Quarantelli. California: Sage.

George Barnett wrote:
> Christine,
>    The research should have some relevance to community development.  It
> need not be explicitly formal network anlaysis.
>
> George

Christine A. Bevc
Doctoral Candidate, Department of Sociology
Research Assistant, Natural Hazards Center
Managing Editor, Natural Hazards Review
University of Colorado at Boulder
482 UCB
Boulder, Colorado  80309-0482
Phone: (303) 492-6311
Fax: (303) 492-2151

If you are using FedEx, the mailing address is:
   Christine Bevc
   Natural Hazards Center
   1243 Grandview Avenue
   Boulder, CO 80309