Re: request for ERM literature

Tom Snijders <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Jun 2009 11:15:15 +0100

text/plain

Hi Sarita and other interested persons,

 From my colleague Liesbeth Heyse (thank you, Liesbeth!) I got the
following additional literature related to this topic.

Best wishes,

Tom

Bennet, J. (1995). Meeting Needs: NGO Coordination in Practice. London:
Earthscan Publications Ltd.

Bui, T., Cho, S., Sankaran, S. & Sovereign, M. (2000). A Framework for
Designing a Global Network for Multinational Humanitarian
Assistance/Disaster Relief. Information System Frontiers, vol. 1, no. 4,
pp. 427-442.

Doerfel, M.L. & Taylor, M. (2004). Network Dynamics of
Inter-organizational Cooperation: The Croatian Civil Movement.
Communication Monographs, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 373-394.

Kjelman, K.J., Harpviken, K.B., Millard, A.S, & Strand, A. (2003).
Acting as One? Coordinating Response to the Landmine Problem. Third
World Quarterly, vol. 24, no, 5, pp. 855-871.

Maiers, C., Reynolds, M. & Haselkorn, M. (2005). Challenges to Effective
Information and Communication Systems in Humanitarian Relief
Organizations. IEEE International Professional Communication Conference
Proceeding, online available.

Martin, E.C. & Miller, J.L. (2003). NGOs and the Development of Bosnia
and Herzegovina: Understanding Large-Scale Inter-organizational Systems.
Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit
Organizations, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 145-166.

McEntire, D. A. (2000). Coordinating Multi-Organizational Responses to
Disaster: Lessons from the March 28, 2000, Fort Worth Tornado. Disaster
Prevention and Management, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 369-379.

Mel, de, E. (2002). Coordination of Humanitarian Aid: A UN Perspective.
The Lancet, vol. 360, pp. 335-336.

Moore, S. & Daniel, M. (2003). International NGOs and the Role of
Network Centrality in Humanitarian Aid Operations: A Case Study of
Coordination During the 2000 Mozambique Floods. Disasters, vol. 27, no.
4, pp. 305-318.

Saab, J., Orendovici, R., Van Gorp, A., Maitland, C., Maldonado, E.,
Ngamassi Tchouakeu, L., Zhao, K. & Tapia, A.H. (2008). Building Global
Bridges: Coordination Bodies for Improved Information Sharing Among
Humanitarian Relief Agencies. Proceedings of the International ISCRAM
Conference Washington, online available.

Stephenson, M. (2005). Making Humanitarian Relief Networks more
Effective: Operational Coordination, Trust and Sense Making. Disasters,
vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 337-350.

Stephenson, M. (2006). Toward a Descriptive Model of Humanitarian
Assistance Coordination. International Journal of Voluntary and
Nonprofit Organizations, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 41-57.

Whitman, J. & Pocock, D. (ed.) (1996). After Rwanda: The Coordination of
United Nations Humanitarian Assistance. London: MacMillan Press Ltd.

Zhang, D., Zhou, L. & Nunamaker Jr., J.F. (2002). A Knowledge Management
Framework for Support of Decision Making in Humanitarian
Assistance/Disaster Relief. Knowledge and Information Systems, vol. 4,
pp. 370-385.

Christine A Bevc wrote:
> Sender:       Social Networks Discussion Forum <[log in to unmask]>
> Poster:       Christine A Bevc <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: request for ERM literature

> Hi Sarita,
>
> In addition to those, you may also want to look at the following...
>
> Hope they offer some assistance,
> Christine
>
> Tierney, Kathleen and Joseph Trainor. 2004. Networks and resilience in
> the World Trade Center disaster. MCEER Emergency Response and Recovery
> (Thrust Area 3).
> http://mceer.buffalo.edu/publications/resaccom/04-sp01/11_tierney.pdf
>
> Comfort, L.K., K. Ko and A. Zagorecki. 2004. Coordination in rapidly
> evolving disaster response systems: the role of information. American
> Behavioral Scientist, 48(3):295-313.
>
> Comfort, Louise. 1996. Self-organizing process in disaster: A
> comparative study of response systems following the 1993 Marathwada,
> India and 1995 Hanshin, Japan earthquakes. pp. 113-185 in Gus A Koehler
> (ed.) What Disaster Response Can Learn from Chaos Theory: Conference
> Proceedings. California: California Research Bureau, California State
> Library.
>
> Granot, Hayim 1997. Emergency inter-organizational relationships.
> Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 6:305-310.
>
> Topper, Curtis M. and Kathleen M. Carley. 1999. A structural perspective
> on the emergence of network organizations. Journal of Mathematical
> Sociology, 24(1):67-96.
>
> Carley, Kathleen M. and John Harrald. 1997. Organizational learning
> under fire: Theory and practice. American Behavioral Scientist, 40(3):
> 310-332.
>

> Miruna Petrescu-Prahova wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sarita,
>>

>> You may also want to read:
>>

>> Miruna Petrescu-Prahova and Carter T. Butts. "Emergent Coordinators in
>> the World Trade Center Disaster". International Journal of Mass
>> Emergencies and Disasters 28:133-168, 2008
>>

>> Benjamin Lind, Carter T. Butts, Miruna Petrescu-Prahova and Miguel
>> Tirado. 2008. "Brokerage Roles in Disaster Response: Organizational
>> Mediation in the Wake of Hurricane Katrina". International Journal of
>> Emergency Management 5:75-99, 2008
>>

>> Carter T. Butts, Miruna Petrescu-Prahova and B. Remy Cross. "Responder
>> Communication Networks in the World Trade Center Disaster: Implications
>> for Modeling of Communication Within Emergency Settings." Journal of
>> Mathematical Sociology 31:121-147, 2007
>>

>> Also, I believe that Naim Kapucu has published a couple more studies as
>> well, check Google Scholar for references.
>>

>> best,
>> Miruna

>> Dear all,
>>
>> For a current project examining the relation between network structure
>> and network performance in the context of emergency response
>> management/disaster relief, we are looking for supporting or related
>> literature.

> [...]

Tom A.B. Snijders
Professor of Statistics in the Social Sciences
University of Oxford

Professor of Statistics and Methodology
Department of Sociology
University of Groningen