Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Retention of HUD Good Faith Estimate documents
From: Julie Colgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:08:28 -0400

Hi Fred!  It is my understanding that the GFE is generated prior to loan
approval, and that if the loan closes it becomes a part of the larger loan
file and maintains the retention of that file.  If the loan is not approved
(or doesn't close for whatever reason), the retention is shorter than that
of active loans.

Not being in a financial lending industry, I'm not sure what those periods
would be, but I think that is the general approach for that doc type.  I
would imagine that for loans that do close, they are retained for the life
of the loan plus some; and for loans that don't close, I would imagine the
retention period is much shorter.

I hope that has been at least marginally helpful!

Best,
Julie

Julie J. Colgan