Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Law Firm Retention Schedule
From: "Nemchek, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:26:11 -0700

Linda:  My advice to you would be to post your inquiry on the legal records management listserv, to get more response.  The instructions for subscribing to this list are as follows:

Point your web browser to the following site:

http://share.aallnet.org/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=pll-legalrec-sis

        After logging on to this site, you'll be asked to supply your email address, your name, and a personal password (if desired), then click the "subscribe" button.  The system will send you two confirming email messages:  first, a message to confirm that you actually want to subscribe to the legalrec listserv; second, a follow-up message confirming that you have successfully subscribed.  These messages will also contain instructions to unsubscribe, if you so desire.  Posting address is [log in to unmask]  If you have any questions or experience subscription problems, feel free to contact me at 213-892-5359.

Regarding your specific question about sample law firm retention policies, law firms don't generally like to share their proprietary work product, so I suggest you obtain the legal records management textbook entitled "Records Management in the Legal Environment: A Handbook of Practice and Procedure," available from the ARMA Bookstore at:

http://www.arma.org/bookstore/productdetail.cfm?ProductID=1389

The book contains an extensive sample policy.

--Lee

Lee R. Nemchek, MLS, CRM
Vice President, Records Management
Oaktree Capital Management, L.P.