Skip repetitive navigational links
Next (less recent) in topic | Previous (more recent) in topic
Next (less recent) by same author | Previous (more recent) by same author

Building Up Job Training: Community colleges are thrilled that President Obama is planning...

Dan Kern <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 07:22:20 -0500

text/plain

Building Up Job Training

June 19, 2009

Related Stories

*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/06/18/career> Who
Graduates At-Risk Students?
June 18, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/06/18/florida> No More
Testing to Graduate
June 18, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/06/17/rogue> Trustee
Troubles
June 17, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/06/16/healthcare> How to
Pay for Student Health Care
June 16, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/06/15/colleges> A No-Risk
Tuition Increase?
June 15, 2009

Community colleges are thrilled that President Obama is planning a major
<http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/06/18/qt#201452>  infusion of
federal support for their job training programs, and they are talking about
how this might best be done.

The latest indication that such an announcement is imminent came Wednesday,
when White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, who was speaking at a meeting
of the Democratic Leadership Council, said it is the president's goal to
help 5 million more students through the community college system in the
next 10 years than is currently projected. There are now 11.5
<http://www2.aacc.nche.edu/research/index.htm>  million students in the
country's two-year institutions, and some experts predict that this figure
will nearly double in the coming decade.

Though Emanuel kept details of the president's financial proposal close to
the vest at the event, he did hint that the plan would focus primarily on
the role of community colleges in "job training and vocational education."
He further noted that all legislation related to these roles would need
"rewriting" to emphasize the president's plan.

J. Noah Brown, president of the Association of Community College Trustees,
said he takes Emanuel's suggestion to mean the revamping of the Workforce
Investment Act, a federal program adopted under President Clinton that funds
job training initiatives and whose reauthorization is on the horizon. He
noted that this "would serve as a likely vehicle for these changes."

Other community college advocates have also been weighing in on possible
changes.

David Baime, vice president for government relations at the American
Association of Community Colleges, stated that his organization has made a
number of suggestions to the Obama administration and Congress about
increasing federal support for two-year institutions, including making
significant changes to the Workforce Investment Act.

He noted that he would like to see the act shift away from its
"voucher-based system
<http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/programs/hcv/wtw/resources/bs3/jobtraining_i
nvestment.cfm> ," which provides money to individual workers on a restricted
basis for retraining, to one that allows local workforce investment boards
to make contracts directly with training providers, such as community
colleges. Under the current distribution of funds, for example, displaced
workers sometimes cannot complete training programs with the resources given
them by their voucher.

"While shifting these models would likely result in more opportunities and
better support for community colleges as leading workforce training
providers, additional statutory language prioritizing the use of community
colleges for training would help to ensure a national-level of integration
of these institutions into the workforce development system," Baime wrote in
an e-mail describing some of his organization's ideas.

Baime noted he would also like to see a revamped and reinforced version of
the program for Community-Based Job Training Grants
<http://www.doleta.gov/Business/Community-BasedJobTrainingGrants.cfm> ,
which was started under President Bush and designed to boost the capacity of
community colleges to train workers in high-demand fields.

Baime said that the first item on his wish list for community colleges was
his organization's request that the government provide two-year institutions
around the country $5 billion to directly address the "accumulated need for
infrastructure support."

"In the short term, federal funding to support two-year community and
technical college capital will temporarily invigorate local construction
businesses, which would serve or possibly save job-starved communities
experiencing little or no growth," Baime wrote. "In the long term, this
funding will prepare community colleges to produce workers in the key
industries of the future, such as alternative energy technologies and health
care, for which our colleges prepare more than half of all new workers."

Around Washington, at least, some community college advocates say their
sector is getting more respect than in recent memory, thanks in part to
recent high-profile comments like those by Emanuel the other evening.

"A lot of people want to talk about education, talk about our universities,"
Emanuel said. "What has been forgotten is how important the community
college system is to our economy, our ability to compete in a global
economy. It is, literally, the conveyor belt to allow people to upgrade
their skills when they are going from X job to Y profession."

If community colleges are to be substantially supported by the government,
Emanuel noted that they will only thrive if the government develops a more
cohesive vision of the system and its role.

"In the past, our job training system in vocational ed has basically been a
program per problem," Emanuel said. "We've not had a comprehensive view.
What I mean by program is that if you were a veteran, you had a program. If
you were a displaced worker because of competition, we had a program. But,
we really need to not just have a program per problem but a comprehensive
view of job training, what it is supposed to accomplish, and then set up a
program based on that."

-  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> David Moltz

Go
<http://www.insidehighered.com/layout/set/print/news/2009/06/19/announcement
#Comments>  to comments (0) >

C Copyright 2009 Inside Higher Ed

Source:
http://www.insidehighered.com/layout/set/print/news/2009/06/19/announcement

Dan Kern

AD21, Reading

East Central College

1964 Prairie Dell Road

Union, MO  63084-4344

Phone:  (636) 583-5195

Extension:  2426

Fax:  (636) 584-0513

Email:  [log in to unmask]

Instruction begins when you, the teacher, learn from the learner. Put

yourself in his place so that you may understand what he learns and

the way he understands it. (Kierkegaard)

April 2020
March 2020
February 2020
January 2020