The University of Florida and Progress Energy partner to host the
2nd UF Water Institute Symposium
February 24-26, 2010
Hilton University of Florida Conference Center, Gainesville, Florida
MARK YOUR CALENDARS TO PARTICIPATE!
Save the date for the 2nd UF Water Institute Symposium focused on complex challenges and integrated solutions for sustainable watershed management. This symposium will bring together scientists, engineers, academics, policy makers, water managers, industry and utility representatives, lawyers, students and the public to address complex water issues from multiple perspectives.
* Ms. Carol Browner<http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1866567,00.html>, Assistant to the President for Energy and Climate Change
* Dr. Brian Richter<http://www.nature.org/initiatives/freshwater/contact/richter.html>, Director, Sustainable Waters Program, The Nature Conservancy: Integrating TMDLS and environmental flows for improved water management
* Dr. Cynthia Rosenzweig,<http://ccsr.columbia.edu/researchers/rosenzweig.html> Senior Research Scientist at NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies and Center for Climate Systems Research, Columbia University, Hydrologic and biologic impacts of, and adaptations to, climate change and climate variability
* Dr. Aaron Wolfe<http://www.geo.oregonstate.edu/people/faculty/wolfa.htm>, Professor, Oregon State University: Transboundary water conflicts and conflict resolution, the ACF in perspective
Presentations, posters sessions and panel discussions will focus on integrating new research, education, policy and technology developments in five interdisciplinary areas:
* Interactions among human, biogeochemical and ecological processes
* Perceptions, use and governance of water
* Optimal use of integrated water supplies
* Managing water in a transitioning environment
* Integrating science and policy for improved water management
Students are eligible to compete for "Best Poster" awards based on the quality of the abstract, poster and discussion. Three poster winners will receive prizes of $1000 each to be used as funding to support future participation at a national conference.
Dates of Interest:
* Call for Abstracts - August 11, 2009
* Abstract submission Deadline - October 9, 2009
* On-line Registration opens - November 6, 2009
For more information please visit the symposium website<www.waterinstitute.ufl.edu/Symposium2010index.asp>.
Wendy Graham , Ph. D.
Carl S. Swisher Chair in Water Resources
Director UF Water Institute
PO Box 116601
University of Florida
Gainesville, Florida 32611-6601
Phone 352-392-5893 x 2113
Email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>