Skip repetitive navigational links

FYI Nursing specific: What is the Michigan Nursing Corps?

Dan Kern <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Jul 2009 12:45:43 -0500

text/plain

What is the Michigan Nursing Corps?

Laid-off workers find fulfillment in new careers

*	Story Highlights
*	Some people make the most of a job loss by pursuing careers they've
always wanted
*	A Michigan program helps fund a woman's nursing education after job
loss
*	Former GM employee becomes the oldest intern at a mayor's office
*	Several government Web sites can help you change careers, fund
education

(CNN) -- Alicia Azzopardi was laid off just before Christmas. It couldn't
have happened at a better time.

"I was so upset when I left my job," said Azzopardi. "I was crying, and I
just didn't know what to do."

The same week that she got laid off, Michigan State University accepted her
into its accelerated nursing program. Even better, she learned she qualified
for a grant from the Michigan Nursing Corps
<http://www.michigan.gov/mdch/0,1607,7-132-3150_40178-194720--,00.html> .
The state-funded initiative, which provides her with a $25,000 stipend, is
addressing Michigan's nursing shortage in part by rewarding workers who have
been laid off.

"My tuition is pretty much 100 percent paid for, and I don't take that
lightly," said Azzopardi, 28, who has a background in business and sales.

While trying to survive in the state with the highest unemployment rate in
the nation, Azzopardi and others are taking advantage of their job losses by
pursuing careers they've always wanted.

Michigan's 14.1 percent unemployment in May towers above the national
average of 9.5 percent, according to U.S.
<http://topics.cnn.com/topics/U_S_Department_of_Labor>  Department of Labor
statistics for June.

"It's a really hard thing to change careers when you didn't want to," said
Martha Mangelsdorf, author of "Strategies for Successful Career Change." But
starting over at an older age carries less of a stigma than it once did.

Source:  http://cnn.site.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt
<http://cnn.site.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=Laid-off
+workers+find+fulfillment+in+new+careers+-+CNN.com&expire=-1&urlID=406185291
&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2009%2FLIVING%2Fworklife%2F07%2F06%2Fca
reer.change%2Findex.html&partnerID=211911>
&title=Laid-off+workers+find+fulfillment+in+new+careers+-+CNN.com&expire=-1&
urlID=406185291&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2009%2FLIVING%2Fworklife
%2F07%2F06%2Fcareer.change%2Findex.html&partnerID=211911

Rootage:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/worklife/07/06/career.change/index.html

What is the Michigan Nursing Corps?

www.michigan.gov

 (To Print: use your browser's print function)

Release Date: June 20, 2008
Last Update: August 25, 2008

Contact: Jeanette Klemczak 517 241-9841

Agency: Community Health

  _____

What is the Michigan Nursing Corps?

  _____

In her 2007 State of the State address, Governor Jennifer Granholm announced
the Michigan Nursing Corps (MNC.

       "One area that demands our special attention is nursing.  Today we
have a nursing shortage in communities across our state. Yet we have waiting
lists of people who are anxious to become nurses. Something's wrong with
this picture, and we are going to fix it. Tonight we are launching the
Michigan Nursing Corps, an initiative to train new nurses. We will prepare
500 nursing educators to train 3,000 new nurses in just three years." (1)

Full funding for the MNC would total $45 million, $15 million per year for
three years. In the Fiscal Year 2008 State budget, the Legislature approved
$1.5 million, funding that will seed MNC programs.

In her 2008 State of the State address, the Governor reinforced the
importance of nursing and submitted an FY 2009 budget that includes $10
million for a strong start on MNC programs. The MNC is a collaborative
effort by two State agencies, Community Health (MDCH) and Labor & Economic
Growth (MDLEG).

The Problem

There is a growing nursing shortage in Michigan and the United States.
Michigan's nursing education programs are bottlenecked in their ability to
admit, educate and graduate all qualified applicants. Nursing education
programs do not have enough classroom faculty, clinical faculty, or clinical
experience infrastructure and sites to educate all the qualified people who
want to become nurses. At the same time, our population is aging and will
need much more health care in the  future. The retirement of the "Baby Boom"
generation has just begun.

         Michigan is expected to have a shortage of about 7000 Registered
Nurses by 2010 and a shortage of 18,000 RN's by 2015 (2)

         In 2007, Michigan nursing education programs turned away over
4,000 qualified applicants due to the programs' lack of capacity

         More than 50% of faculty at most Michigan nursing schools/colleges
are eligible to retire today

         Nursing students often wait many months to get the clinical
experience they need to graduate and enter the workforce.

The Solution

The Michigan Nursing Corps will provide new classroom faculty, clinical
faculty, and clinical experience infrastructure and sites. These new
resources will help to educate additional RN's each year to take care of
Michigan citizens. At full funding, the MNC would add from 1,000 to 3,000
RN's per year to the Michigan nursing workforce.

The Process

The first components of the MNC will be implemented through a Request for
Proposals process. This competitive process will select individuals and
institutions to participate in one of three MNC model programs.

Eligibility

         Nurses in the last two years of a doctoral degree in Nursing will
be eligible to receive financial support to complete their degree full-time.

         Nurses with a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing (BSN) will be
eligible to receive financial support to complete an accelerated one-year
Master's degree in Nursing Education (MNE).

         Other practicing BSN nurses will be eligible to complete a
clinical instructor certification course with Master's degree credits.

         Funded partnerships between selected nursing schools/colleges and
hospitals will increase clinical experience infrastructure and sites
available for nursing students' use.

Increase in Capacity

         In exchange for the financial support, the doctoral and MNE degree
graduates will sign contracts to teach in Michigan nursing education
programs for at least five years.

         Each new clinical instructor will supervise clinical experiences
for about fifteen nursing students per year.

         The new clinical experience infrastructure and sites will permit
nursing students to complete their education in a timely way and enter the
nursing workforce.

The Outcome

With full funding, the three-year Michigan Nursing Corps initiative would
result in 30 new doctoral and 300 new MNE-prepared nursing classroom
faculty, each of whom contracts to teach in Michigan for five years.

         Each new MNE graduate would enable a nursing education program to
increase admissions by 10 students per year.

         Assuming that most of the 300 new MNE faculty remain in nursing
education beyond the contracted 5 years, an estimated 19,800 new seats would
open up in Michigan nursing education programs over 8-10 years. (3)

         These additional nursing students would receive clinical
experience supervision from 300 new clinical instructors, using expanded
clinical sites and infrastructure (learning laboratories - some mobile --
with simulations and virtual experience).

At lower funding levels for the MNC, the capacity expansion for each new MNE
is 10 nursing education seats per year for the five contracted years and
each additional year the MNE continues to teach. The new doctoral and MNE
faculty will meet the immediate need for additional nursing classroom
faculty and, in years to come, will replace the large numbers of nursing
faculty who will be retiring. The MNC is both a short-term and long-term
investment in assuring a constant supply of high quality nurses for
Michigan.

The Cost and Return on Investment

At full funding, the MNC will cost a total of $45 million over three years.

         Each of the resulting 19,800 new nurses will bring $120,000 per
year into their community (salary, fringes, and other economic benefits).
(4)

         Over a 20-year career, each nurse is estimated to bring over $3.9
million in benefit to the Michigan economy.

         The 19,800 new nurses educated through the fully- funded MNC would
bring $78.6 billion in economic benefit to Michigan over the next twenty
years, for a return (on the $45 million investment) of $1,746 per dollar
invested, or $87 per year per dollar invested.

Michigan needs to make this investment to improve the physical and economic
health of its citizens and communities. For more information, please
contact:

Jeanette Klemczak, Chief Nurse Executive

Michigan Department of Community Health

  _____

[1][1]    <http://www.michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7-168--161761--,00.html>
http://www.michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7-168--161761--,00.html

[2][2] The MichiganAgenda for Nursing 2005-2010, 2006.

[3][3]   The Bottleneck in Nursing Education, 2007.

[4][4] The Economic Impact of Health Care in Michigan, 2006.

Copyright  2009 State of Michigan

Source:
http://www.michigan.gov/printerFriendly/0,1687,7-132-3150_40178-194720--,00.
html

Rootage:
http://www.michigan.gov/mdch/0,1607,7-132-3150_40178-194720--,00.html

Dan Kern

AD21, Reading

East Central College

1964 Prairie Dell Road

Union, MO  63084-4344

Phone:  (636) 583-5195

Extension:  2426

Fax:  (636) 584-0513

Email:  [log in to unmask]

Instruction begins when you, the teacher, learn from the learner. Put

yourself in his place so that you may understand what he learns and

the way he understands it. (Kierkegaard)

To freely bloom - that is my definition of success. -Gerry Spence, lawyer
(b. 1929)    [Benjamin would be proud, I think.]

  _____

June 2021
May 2021
April 2021