Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Athletic Study Tables and NCAA

Sara Weertz <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:27:32 -0500

text/plain

I've enjoyed the thread on providing concentrated study halls and study tables for athletes. I'm particularly impressed with Jenny Pippen's open study concept and Monitor Training. Thank you, Jenny, for sharing this.

I also agree with Travis and Todd that pre-term workshops do little to inspire or motivate students, especially struggling athletes. Earlier research suggested "front-loading" as a means of providing students with tools for success, but that has been trumped with current  research on structured learning assistance and the consequences of learning study skills in a vacuum. I realize timing is an issue with athletes, so pre-conditioning week may be the only time available to offer your study skills workshops. If that is the case, I recommend a detailed needs assessment prior to the workshops. I also suggest a detailed evaluation of your efforts. The evaluation should include a survey distributed to the athletes  at midterm and term-end to gauge their perceptions of the help, as well as a review of the overall GPAs and final course grades, and maybe even course enrollment history. If your evaluation results cannot show pre-conditioning workshops have any redeeming value, you have an excellent case for offering another alternative. :)

On another note, I've been led to believe my state program funds make it impossible for me to offer special study skills services just to athletes. How are you guys getting around this or do you not fall under the same stipulations?

sal

Sara Weertz
Director, Supplemental Instruction
Angelo State University
Member, Texas Tech University System
ASU Station #10915
San Angelo, TX  76909
(325) 942-2710  X-387

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Todd Phillips
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 10:37 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Athletic Study Tables and Workshops

Robin,

I am getting ready to do some similar things with the football program
at Truman State University.  I also support using Skip's website and
ideas, there is a wealth of information that can be applied to your
workshops.  I am doing a series of workshops with the first year
football players and some that have been identified as struggling
academically.  I agree with Travis regarding having something to apply
to the lessons covered in the workshop.   It's important to have
something to connect knowledge and information to so they can apply
and utilize what is being discussed.   I will be working in several
study skills in the workshops that happen after the semester starts.
For the first round, before school starts, I am doing one on
Expectations & Rigor of the university classroom.  High lighting some
of the differences that they will encounter from high school with the
work, reading, professors, and educational environment.

I am putting together the workshop now.  I am tying together some of
the lessons I learned from playing college football and international
rugby.  Hopefully they can make some connections with how they
approached athletics and why they were successful as an athlete, with
how they need to approach, apply themselves, and engage in their
academics to be successful, allowing them to continue playing the
sport they love. I will throw in some good quotes and have them
journal and identify steps they did in becoming a successful football
player.  (SImilar to Rita's natural learning) Then they will apply
that to their academic endeavors and think about their approach and
what will or will not create success. I will ask them about their
academic commitment and we will also discuss some time management,
distractions, and preparing themselves for the semester so they can
create a study system that allows them to prioritize and make choices
that allows successful outcomes.   I am calling the workshop Truman
Bulldogs:  Tackle your Inner-Academic Warrior.  I wanted something
that I thought would appeal to the athletes.  I will also be utilizing
the workshop with other athletic groups on campus.

Just a few thoughts, since this is timely and I have been thinking
about this exact challenge and figuring out  what I will put together
that will appeal to the athletes.  I tried to remember what I wished
someone had told me as a new college athlete.  I hope this is of some
help.

Good luck,

Todd

Todd S. Phillips
Director, Student Success Center
Truman State University
112B Kirk Building
100 East Normal Street
Kirksville, MO 63501
(660)785-4864
(660)785-4118 fax

On Jul 23, 2009, at 7:02 PM, Robin Kratzer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of items that I need some help with.  First, does
> anyone
> have any suggestions for workshops for Football players?  The
> workshops
> are held during pre-conditioning week which is a couple of weeks
> before
> school starts.  This makes it difficult to do too much academically
> yet.
> The workshops will be held with 1/2 of the football team while the
> other
> half is conditioning with the coaches.  Usually I have an hour to two
> hours.  In the past I have done things such as diversity,
> leadership, goal
> setting.  I need other ideas as this is the third year and will
> obviously
> have some of the same football players.
>
> The second item I have is suggestions for making athletic study tables
> more productive.  I have been asked by the coaches to help with
> required
> study tables this year.  At times, I could have 90 players.
> Hopefully we
> will be able to break them into smaller more manageable groups.  I am
> going to work with them in setting up study groups in specific courses
> which we know are problems every year.  But I am looking for other
> suggestions and ideas of how we can make athletic study tables more
> productive.
>
> Any help on either of these topics would be extremely helpful.  You
> can
> respond to me on or off the list.  Thanks!
>

> Robin Kratzer, Director
> Academic Resource Center
> Instructor of Education
> Defiance College