Re: Another invents network analysis

Mark Goetsch <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:12:59 -0500

text/plain

I wonder if this has something to do with being named Lewis :)

http://www.amazon.com/Network-Science-Applications-Ted-Lewis/dp/0470331887/r
ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256658629&sr=8-1 written by Ted Lewis takes
this same view. Lewis is also from the Military tradition teaching at the
Naval Postgraduate College.  He mentions Millgram and Granovetter, but in
the same stroke mentions Euler in 1736.  The book takes an algorithmic view
of scale-free networks and avoids any of the generative areas found in
traditional SNA. This is very unfortunate imo and mars a book that has some
interesting ways of looking at network analysis.

Barabasi, at least from his talk at the Harvard Political Networks
Conference last June, was much more inclusive and saw the combining of
mathematical and social relationships as being critical to what he saw as an
emerging discipline.  Of course I am always suspicious of the "lets all get
together" speeches, but Barabasi seemed sincere.

I wonder what the average distance from SNA would be if we were to look the
social network of "Network Science"? They might find that this is even a
smaller world than they guessed.

Mark Goetsch