]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  October 2009, Week 2

PSYART October 2009, Week 2

Re: post-Shakesperean characters in lit.

Norm Rosenblood <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion Group for Psychology and the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Oct 2009 03:14:39 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

  RE characters
 --------------

The history of the English novel also pays attention to the contribution
of Chaucer's CANTERBURY TALES--the Pardoner is one complicated fellow and
the Prioress is not your average dog lover--Thomas Nashe's THE
UNFORTUNATE TRAVELLER, Lily's EUPHUES; THE ANATOMY OF WIT and the Overbury
characters also precursors and building blocks of characterization.

Northrop Frye in THE ANATOMY OF CRITICISM argues for the impossibility of
a pure form of fiction and recognizes the contribution of Romance
figures--Roland and his chanson, El Cyd--and Menippean satire types( the
braggart soldier, the shrewish housewife and the mad pedant (Tristram
Shandy and many of Swift's personae). Hamlet the character and the drama
itself partake, in varying degrees, of some of these traits.

Frye also points to the part played by confession: e.g. Moll Flanders;
and isn't Hamlet's role one long confession about guilty and impotent
parricide? Perhaps all of literature is a confession of some sort.

FR Leavis would argue that the history of English literature is most
outstanding for its moral vision. cf. THE GREAT TRADITION. DH Lawrence
viewed the novel as "the one great book of life."

Norm Rosenblood

Norman Rosenblood, Ph.D., Training and Supervising Psychoanalyst
Co-director, Hamilton Centre for Psychoanalysis
8 Mayfair Place
Hamilton, Ontario
L8S 4G1